Do you consider Batman to be a Gadgeteer or something else?

Hyper-Man

Re: Do you consider Batman to be a Gadgeteer or something else?

I'd suggest that the Masked Boxer types like the Atom and Wildcat were true Golden Age Martial Artists, though. Of course the only things that really differentiated them from other Mystery Men were their lack of gadgets, and slightly superior combat skills.

Works for me. Heck, the Atom was on his way out until the bomb dropped in '45.

Interestingly, the Mayfair WW2 supplement makes a point similar to yours, with Atom and Wildcat getting props from Capt. Nazi for their skills.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Golden Age Champions I replace the Martial Artist archetype with the Mystery Man' date=' which has several subarchetypes. Batman fits pretty much all of them, and IMO defines the main archetype. dw[/quote']

point taken can some one swing the reptofa for me? thanks

But how far can you take that before it's no longer in the superhero genre? You might as well forget about even wearing a costume--just get yourself some combat fatigues' date=' a kevlar vest. an ALICE belt for your weapons and other gear, and a ski mask to hide your face. And forget all that batarangs and batrope nonsense--just get yourself some [i']guns[/i], man. Crimefighting through superior firepower, and all that. It may be more practical, and more grounded in reality--but it's not superheroes. It's certainly not Batman.

The Punisher!

I don't know that McGinnis was the killer that Azrael was. And McGinnis also had Wayne as an active mentor.

I'm pretty sure McGinnis never killed anybody (Kids WB wouldn't allow it), though there were a few 'nobody could have survived that's (that people survived) or mysterious disappearances (such as Inque getting diluted and washed down the sewers).

Re: Do you consider Batman to be a Gadgetee or something else?

Even if the character is constrained to a character sheet you don't have to label someone with an archetype.

Archetypes are just convenient shorthand for talking about characters. They aren't suppose to be formal classes that people have to abide by.

I think he's essentially the definitive Pulp Mystery Man. He's got detective skills, an array of scientific and forensic knowledge, knows several martial arts, and has a wide array of special but remotely plausible gadgets and vehicles. In that sense he's a "master generalist", an expert at everything.

I think for most people a gadgeteer is someone who primarily depends upon their gadgets, not simply someone who has a gadget or three. Modern Batman to me seems to be largely an ambush expert style of martial artists. He's got some gadgets that he uses from time to time but he doesn't really "rely" upon them (IMO).

Batman back in the late 60's/early 70's was probably a lot more dependent upon the devices he carried on his utility belt and back then probably fell more into the 'gadgeteer' category than martial artist (again, IMO).

Look at it this way, back then when Batman lost his utility belt it was a big deal. For the more modern Batman it is more of an inconvenience.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife about clothes.

She thought that there was something wrong with her figure because she wasn't an exact "size".

You know, size 8, size 10, whatever.

I explained to her that clothes used to all be custom made, so they fit a specific person, but with the advent of mass-produced, machine-made clothes, came "sizes" that would sort of fit most people and were easy to manufacture.

So, the fact that an actual human body does not correspond to an arbitrarily created "size" does not imply a problem with the body, just the system.

Same thing with characters.

If you are playing a computer game like Baldur's gate, you may have to decide to be a Rogue or Warrior, but in Hero (or in fiction) you can create your own character that may not neatly fit into a pre-determined "type".

KA.

Pulling something out of his belt is not the same thing as kit-bashing.

Yes, but my personal definition of 'gadgeteer' doesn't require kit-bashing, so there we go. :) Besides, I don't see a lot of difference between 'I threw a bunch of stuff together to create a device that's only really useful in this one limited circumstance' and 'Oh, look, I just happen to have a device that's only really useful in this one limited circumstance'.