How do you feel about House Rules?

phoenix240

Re: How do you feel about House Rules?

One of my "house rules" is actually a holdover of a RAW- when a person is Flashed' date=' we still use number of Phases rather than number of Segments.[/quote']

We did that for a bit. Unfortunately what it does is hose low speed characters and reward extremely high speed character. It also makes Flash highly variable in it's effectiveness.

ie a speed 4 Brick is Flashed for 6 Phases. That means being flashed for a turn and a half. A 7 speed Martial Artist or Speedster, will be ready to kick butt in slightly less than a turn. Not really fair to the Brick. That brick is out for probably the rest of the combat. (assuming that most Supers battles last 2-3 turns)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically this discussion had me looking up the rules for Stunned a second time and here I find out there are no rules for Stunned, the rules is called Stunning! That is it I will never play again because this game is so confusing.

If the amount of STUN you lose to a single hit is higher than your CON than you are STUNNED. I see you specified "the Stun Characteristic" so maybe I was just getting stuck on semantics before.

Possibly - Because that's what McCoy was referencing in his post about originally not getting it - Stunned has nothing to do with Stun (Characteristic), everything to do with Stun Damage. Which are different.

We have:

Your Stun Characteristic

How much Stun you have

Your Maximum Stun

Stun Damage done

Stun Damage taken

Are you Stunned?

One word, many variances. I can see how "Con Stunned" can come about in that environment.

Having played since 2nd edition and also having looked over the rules from 2nd edition and 3rd edition today. Being Stunned was always called being Stunned. It was always caused when the amount of damage taken after applicable defenses exceeded the target's Con Score. Being Stunned and KO'ed hasn't really changed much since the rules were first published. The biggest changes started in 4th edition that changed the rules for being Stunned while Unconscious. Basically if you fall unconscious you can start taking Recoveries as soon as your negative stun total allows. You don't have to recover from being stunned first (which is actually a nice change for PC's). Also from 0 to -10 stun one can make a Per roll to understand what is going on despite being otherwise unconscious.

I had had characters say that someone has had their bell rung meaning that they were stunned. It's more of a RP thing. Sometimes when teaching a new player or a rusty old player. I will ask if the damage taken has exceed their Con. If yes, then I tell them that their character has been stunned and what the consequences of said state are.

Actually, because I just checked, in 4E you had to Recover From Stunned before you could Take Recoveries due to being Knocked Out.

It was in 5E that specifically removed that requirement.

However it came about at large it spontaneously developed among our group outside long before any of us had internet exposure. And as Sedro Woolley boys trust me when I say we never met anyone in the industry with a big name (well except Steve but that was many-many years latter). So my guess is the same spontaneous Con Stunned name came up with other groups do to the association with Constitution and being Stunned.

And we absolutely still love house rules/optional rules/roll high on a D4 in combat!!!

Possibly - Because that's what McCoy was referencing in his post about originally not getting it - Stunned has nothing to do with Stun (Characteristic), everything to do with Stun Damage. Which are different.

We have:

Your Stun Characteristic

How much Stun you have

Your Maximum Stun

Stun Damage done

Stun Damage taken

Are you Stunned?

One word, many variances. I can see how "Con Stunned" can come about in that environment.

Yeah, you want to avoid being stunned, you buy more CON, not more STUN.

Having played since 2nd edition and also having looked over the rules from 2nd edition and 3rd edition today. Being Stunned was always called being Stunned.

Did not mean to imply (nor do I believe I did) that I had seen that in the rules. It was used by the GM at my very first game, understood instantly, and clarified in my mind something that had not been clear to me from reading the rules.

Okay I changed my mind' date=' I will play again. But I will let the players call it whatever they want. ;)[/quote']Does that make it a house rule? :winkgrin:

We have:

Your Stun Characteristic

How much Stun you have

Your Maximum Stun

Stun Damage done

Stun Damage taken

Are you Stunned?

Not to mention having your Stun Drained. "A Drain STUN will Stun a character if the Drain removes more points of STUN than he has points of CON with any one attack." (FREd, p.100)

Yeah' date=' you want to avoid being stunned, you buy more CON, not more STUN.[/quote']Reminds me of the jokes about parking in a driveway, driving on a parkway, and apartments are built together.

One of my favorite rules of the HERO system (and most systems as well) is this one:

"...DON'T LET THE RULES GET IN THE WAY OF HAVING FUN. If a particular rule spoils your fun, ignore it, discard it, or change it."

-5E, p.343

Even within the same game system, I've used different house rules for different campaigns... Sometimes it's necessary to house rule to maintain the feel of the campaign as much as it is to "fix" an aspect of the rules that you find buggy or otherwise don't care for.

Even within the same game system' date=' I've used different house rules for different campaigns... Sometimes it's necessary to house rule to maintain the feel of the campaign as much as it is to "fix" an aspect of the rules that you find buggy or otherwise don't care for.[/quote']You have to do what makes you and your fellow players happy. And welcome-ish!

I used to have a web page full of house rules, back in the 4E days. Over time, probably a fourth of them have filtered into the system, as optional rules or otherwise, and most of the rest were there to fix stuff I thought was "broken".

I use few to none these days.

Having run a few different styles of campaigns and games over the years, I've often found house rules to, not only smoothe out rough patches for a group, but also to add fun.

Before I ran HERO I ran a Scion (Whitewolf) game where the whole of the party is made up of demi-gods. From that game evolved one of my most consistant house rules. The Rule of Cool.

Nine times out of ten, even if what the character suggests should be practically impossible, IF it's cool enough, I'll let it slide. My groups have had fun with that ever since and it's led to some particularly fantastic moments.

Otherwise, I find house rules take something that you or a player might not identify with and make it your own. If a group doesn't like a rule, or if it seems unresonable, change it!

HERO goes out of its to leave so much flexibility up to the GM to tailor the game that they want. So I say: why not make it yours?

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Con-stunned: Been playing off and on since 1983ish. Never heard the term before that I recall. Cool expression. Will try introducing it soon.

Also: if you don't like terms that are not in the rules, don't use terms like RAW, which is not in the rules. Same thing. Well, okay, almost the same thing.

In language, rule books and dictionaries do not determine what is correct. (Although, admittedly, most dictionaries besides the Oxford English Dictionary, are prescriptive dictionaries and try to do exactly that.) Usage determines what is correct. I am speaking as a Linguist, and claim the title based on a mere two college courses, so probably do not deserve the title.

On house rules. Most house rules arise from one of two circumstances. I don't know the rule, and don't want to take the time to look it up, so I will make it up. This rule is best only kept only until the actual rule is found (often exactly the same). The second kind is: I want to do something not allowed by the rules. This rule is often best disallowed, because the rules are there for a reason.

As I type, a third common house rule variety comes to mind. This rule is too awkward to keep using. This rule is also quite common, and generally best held onto.

Please note that the first of these rules is, or at least should be, temporary. The second and third apply more to other game systems than they do to Hero System and especially Champions. This is because Hero System is effect based, not class based, and allows for much greater creativity in character creation, and because Champions is at a higher power level than most game systems, allowing for character concepts that would be overpowered in most other systems.

So, within the restriction of Champions, I mostly agree with Tasha. House rules are an unnecessary annoyance.

That said, let me share a 3rd Ed. house rule from a campaign called "Le Club Immortale".

30 Points: Immortality.

The character cannot die. Except by some means defined when the power is bought, if a character would die, instead that character does not die. The character still takes damage, gets knocked unconscious, cut apart, blown to atoms, whatever, but does not die as a result.

Bear in mind that, as I recall, resurrection did not exist in the rules at that time. I have kept it as an option in subsequent campaigns mostly due to a personal obsession with immortality,

It has also just occured to me that, while I have only 61 posts, counting this one, that I am quite long-winded. If ratings were based on number of words posted, I would be higher ranked. But, I must say, I can find no fault with a system that rewards brevity.

Also: if you don't like terms that are not in the rules' date=' don't use terms like RAW, which is not in the rules. Same thing. Well, okay, almost the same thing. [/quote']

Not even remotely the same thing. RAW is an acronym for Rules As Written and is not a game specific term but a hobby specific term.

"Con Stunned" is a game specific term than replaces a game specific Mechanic. And sounds dumb to boot. But gets the point across with little hassle and has become part of the lexicon. Much the same way 'irregardless' is now in the dictionary as a legitimate word.

"Con Stunned" is a game specific term than replaces a game specific Mechanic.

Actually, "Con Stunned" replaces a game specific term, not the mechanic, which it leaves untouched. Important distinction, albeit bringing it up is a bit on the pedantic side.

Still, I think that making up game terms is a time honored tradition. In Magic: the Gathering, "target player puts cards from the top of his library into his graveyard" is called Milling in honor of the first card with that ability, Millstone.

Gary Larson cartoon:

Caveman, pointing to the spiked tail on a drawing of a Stegosaurus: "This end is called the Thagomizer, in honor of the late Thag Simmons."

Past my bedtime. My computer insists that I keep spelling "honor" wrong, but I can't figure it out. Usually, I can either see that the computer is right, or it isn't. But it is rarely wrong with such a basic word.

Oh well...

My computer insists that I keep spelling "honor" wrong, but I can't figure it out. Usually, I can either see that the computer is right, or it isn't. But it is rarely wrong with such a basic word.

Oh well...

Too close to the Canadian border, eh? -from North Windsor, Ontario

"Con Stunned" is a game specific term than replaces a game specific Mechanic.
Being the one who used "CON Stunned" here in the first place, I can state that your assumption that the term "is a game specific term" is incorrect.

And sounds dumb to boot.
Keep in mind that your opinion does not equate to a fact. Not to mention "sounds dumb" is a bit ironic.

YMMV

Being the one who used "CON Stunned" here in the first place' date=' I can state that your assumption that the term "is a game specific term" is incorrect.[/quote']

So you are saying you use the term "CON Stunned" when playing games other than Hero/Champions?

So you are saying you use the term "CON Stunned" when playing games other than Hero/Champions?
Used' date=' yes. Was that not clear? Heck, my then-roommate and I even used the term in daily conversation. And in case it somehow needs clarifying, we used many terms interchangeably: Con Stunned, Dazed, woozy, I see birdies, [i']et cetera[/i]; although, Dazed was used more often than not.

PS: When your gaming group might be playing Star Wars or Star Trek one day and then Champions the next, sometimes you need to know clarify what Stunned means. Just like some people need to know that "your left" means "your other left" or "your military left."

Used' date=' yes. Was that not clear? Heck, my then-roommate and I even used the term in daily conversation. And in case it somehow needs clarifying, we used many terms interchangeably: Con Stunned, Dazed, woozy, I see birdies, [i']et cetera[/i]; although, Dazed was used more often than not.

PS: When your gaming group might be playing Star Wars or Star Trek one day and then Champions the next, sometimes you need to know clarify what Stunned means. Just like some people need to know that "your left" means "your other left" or "your military left."

But if you use the term CON Stunned when playing Star Wars or Star trek (or any other game) as well then it becomes just as vague as "stunned" does, doesn't it? Why would you use "CON Stunned" in other systems that don't even have the mechanic you are describing?

Why does it matter to you? :think:

Probably the same reason we tended to use Dazed instead of Stunned. It works well using a unifying term when playing a dozen different RPGs. However, with the particular phrase mentioned, it's differentiating between a stun used as an attack (stun gun, tasers, etc.), stunned from a presence attack (or viewing a scene, "You're stunned to see your dead father alive!"), or Stunned because you took more Stun than you had CON.

I'm not sure why this confusing, much less why it would matter what terminology I used in gaming sessions that never affected your life.

Why does it matter to you? :think:

Probably the same reason we tended to use Dazed instead of Stunned. It works well using a unifying term when playing a dozen different RPGs. However, with the particular phrase mentioned, it's differentiating between a stun used as an attack (stun gun, tasers, etc.), stunned from a presence attack (or viewing a scene, "You're stunned to see your dead father alive!"), or Stunned because you took more Stun than you had CON.

I'm not sure why this confusing, much less why it would matter what terminology I used in gaming sessions that never affected your life.

It just seems really weird that a term specifically coined to avoid ambiguity would then be intentionally made ambiguous itself by applying it to other things for no apparent reason. It undermines the entire purpose of having the phrase and is completely illogical. If you can't see how I find that confusing we must be on very different wavelengths.

As to why it matters to me. I was simply trying to understand your position in this discussion. Sorry if that upsets you.