What Are The Skills All Superheroes Should Have?

Cassandra

Paramedics. Ideally, all superheroes should be certified EMTs, but that's probably not realistic.

Knowledge Skill: Superhuman World.

Area Knowledge of the campaign area.

That's about it, off the top of my head, for skills that "EVERY responsible superhero should know."

A superhero should know:

AK Home City on an int roll (because everyone knows their way around their home town)
CK Home City 11-
PS Character's Day Job 11- or better
KS Stuff needed for Day Job
SCI Optional Stuff for Day Job
Everyperson Skills.

Other Skills that would feel right for someone with that PS to know (ie a Salesperson would have Trading and Persuasion, Perhaps even Oratory if they do group Demonstrations and sales). PS Doctor would know Paramedic, Perhaps Charm and Persuasion  depending on bedside manner, A Computer Repair person would know Electronics 8-, Comp Prog (not to create programs, but for Comp operation). etc.

IMHO a Champions Character should be able to stand on their own and be a complete character WITHOUT their Superpowers. That Allows the GM to run adventures that don't require blasting another Super or minion. Which can mix up the kinds of things the PC's do again to keep things fresh.

One game that I played in the GM had us create 5e 50pt Characters as our "Base character". Then he had us add our powers. The characters were much more rounded than just creating a set of powers and appending Skills to that character.

So

A superhero should know:

AK Home City on an int roll (because everyone knows their way around their home town)
CK Home City 11-
PS Character's Day Job 11- or better
KS Stuff needed for Day Job
SCI Optional Stuff for Day Job
Everyperson Skills.

Other Skills that would feel right for someone with that PS to know (ie a Salesperson would have Trading and Persuasion, Perhaps even Oratory if they do group Demonstrations and sales). PS Doctor would know Paramedic, Perhaps Charm and Persuasion  depending on bedside manner, A Computer Repair person would know Electronics 8-, Comp Prog (not to create programs, but for Comp operation). etc.

IMHO a Champions Character should be able to stand on their own and be a complete character WITHOUT their Superpowers. That Allows the GM to run adventures that don't require blasting another Super or minion. Which can mix up the kinds of things the PC's do again to keep things fresh.

One game that I played in the GM had us create 5e 50pt Characters as our "Base character". Then he had us add our powers. The characters were much more rounded than just creating a set of powers and appending Skills to that character.

So, should all Superheroes have some Martial Arts skills?

So

Not if it doesn't fit their concept. The Hulk has no Martial Arts skills -- since he spends most of his Hulk time rampaging he can't learn them, and because he's so strong and tough he can do quite a lot of damage without them.

It all depends on the character concept. I don't see anything as completely mandatory when designing for a campaign with superpowers everywhere.

I like the Base Character concept mentioned by Tasha, and I (as a GM) would with reservations and warnings let a player sell back parts of that base with a solid character concept reason. The strings attached would be strong and numerous, though.

I'm not suggesting that all superheroes should have exactly the same characters.  Some characters like Bricks and Power Armor heroes wouldn't need martial arts.  

I think all characters should at least have AK of their home city, and perhaps even a form of Navigation especially is they have a type of Megascale movement.

So

It depends on the philosophy of the hero, or whoever trained the character to be a hero -- Professor X made sure that the X-Men all received training in unarmed combat, so that they could defend themselves without revealing their secret identities or relying on powers (which can sometimes be suppressed or simply ineffective) as a crutch.  They were also all supposed to be trained in the use and maintenance of the team jet, so I suppose you could add Transport Familiarity and Mechanics to the list.

Not if it doesn't fit their concept. The Hulk has no Martial Arts skills -- since he spends most of his Hulk time rampaging he can't learn them, and because he's so strong and tough he can do quite a lot of damage without them.

It all depends on the character concept. I don't see anything as completely mandatory when designing for a campaign with superpowers everywhere.

The Hulk is a pretty bad example since he has no skills at all. (I also argue he's not a superhero, but that's a discussion for another day.)

I think that the MA is a yes, but it can be represented in so many ways. A lot of the non-fighting types will still have some basic form of self defense training resulting in a minimum of:

• Breakfall
  • +1 w/ Strike or Block

There are too many examples of characters that are completely ignorant of their home cities (either lazy or brand new) to consider AK: City essential IMMO. Likewise, day job skills aren't essential. In fact, I can think of a whole slough of recommended skills, especially for the good, prepared hero, but a lot of rookies blow the curve (which is what makes them interesting).

Not very helpful, probably, but I think we should define a certain type or style of hero first. Rookies vs. veterans, self made vs. powered, crime-fighters vs. world savers, etc.

The Hulk is a pretty bad example since he has no skills at all. (I also argue he's not a superhero, but that's a discussion for another day.)

I think that the MA is a yes, but it can be represented in so many ways. A lot of the non-fighting types will still have some basic form of self defense training resulting in a minimum of:

• Breakfall
  • +1 w/ Strike or Block

There are too many examples of characters that are completely ignorant of their home cities (either lazy or brand new) to consider AK: City essential IMMO. Likewise, day job skills aren't essential. In fact, I can think of a whole slough of recommended skills, especially for the good, prepared hero, but a lot of rookies blow the curve (which is what makes them interesting).

Not very helpful, probably, but I think we should define a certain type or style of hero first. Rookies vs. veterans, self made vs. powered, crime-fighters vs. world savers, etc.

Every character does get a default AK: Home 8-, and a PS: Job or Hobby 11- for no cost, so your right about not needing a professionally skill.

All characters start out with "Everyman Skills"

Acting 8-

AK: Home 8-

Climbing 8-

Concealment 8-

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

Lang: Native with Literacy

Paramedic 8-

PS: Job or Hobby 8-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

WF: Clubs, Fist Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

• Breakfall
  • +1 w/ Strike or Block

I like the Avengers Assembled version of the Hulk.  He's not Bruce Banner, but he's not a rampaging monster either.

• Breakfall
  • +1 w/ Strike or Block

I should have pointed out that it depends on the Campaign Assumptions and the PC's Backgrounds.

In some Campaigns the Heroes have combat training from the organization that is sponsoring the team.

I guess I am biased because I myself IRL have a good handle on getting around in most cities here in the Bay Area. I definatly have Int Rolls for finding stuff in most of the cities and at least an 8- in some of the cities further away from my home and areas of "entertainment". So I assume that most people have an int roll for their City/Area they live. I guess if someone gets Superpowers and moves to the city they wouldn't have an AK, but that seems pretty unlikely.

I guess this all is about making characters that can stand alone without Superpowers. In some campaigns 1st edition style (all powers) Characters works well, but I find those characters boring. That style of play turns Champions into a Tactical Wargame starring superheroes. Which is not my idea of having fun esp when it's the only way people play.

I don't think that there are required skills that every hero should have.  Even the knowledge of their local environment (City) is not a requirement.  I know of people who don't know much of their area and if given super powers they would probably want to start running around and being a hero. 

However, I like a well rounded person to be there before you start applying super powers to them.  It provides a better character and gives the GM more aspects to pull on when involving your character in a story.