The Villainous Mastermind Repetoir

Kristopher

What sort of knowledge skills would you give a villainous mastermind? The character in question is entirely built on his Characteristics (most in the range between normal and truly superhuman), skills, talents, and equipment. He's directing a team of younger mutant supervillains, and is himself an expert on mutations and other sources superpowers. Currently, he has the following (along with all the technical Skills such as Electronics, Mechanics, and Systems Operation):

KS: Law Enforcement Agencies

KS: Secret Societies

KS: Superhumans

SS: Genetics

SS: Superpower-ology (???? on a better name)

I always thought that the most valued skills a career supervillain could have were...

KS: Prisons and Prison Procedures

KS: Stronghold

After all, he *knows* he's gonna have to bust out of jail at some point in his career anyway... might as well be prepared.

(Contact: Stronghold Guard at the 'highly reliable' level don't hurt none either.)

Re: The Villainous Mastermind Repetoir

Originally posted by Kristopher

What sort of knowledge skills would you give a villainous mastermind? The character in question is entirely built on his Characteristics (most in the range between normal and truly superhuman), skills, talents, and equipment. He's directing a team of younger mutant supervillains, and is himself an expert on mutations and other sources superpowers. Currently, he has the following (along with all the technical Skills such as Electronics, Mechanics, and Systems Operation):

KS: Law Enforcement Agencies

KS: Secret Societies

KS: Superhumans

SS: Superpower-ology (???? on a better name)

Okay, as far as a name for the fifth skill on your list goes, why

not call it something like "Metaphysiology" or "Paranormal Bi-

ology"?

As far as other skills to give your Villainous Mastermind are con-

cerned, I'd give him Knowledge Skills in the following: Business,

Economics and International Finance. Why, you ask? Well, unless

the VM plans on sending his flunkies out to commit high-profile

robberies -- the kind that inevitably attracts the attention of the

main hero group in your campaign, and which in turn leads to

the obligatory a$$-kicking of the villain group -- he's going to need

some means of bankrolling his nefarious schemes. With these

particular skills, the VM could (through intermediaries) set up

a number of legitimate "front" companies whose profits (or a

portion thereof) he could use to buy the necessary equipment

and/or minions for his secret HQ.

I'd also give him some level of skill in Psychology (he's going to

need it in order to deal with whatever ego-driven quirks his

super-team members may exhibit).

Space Cadet :D

It all really depends on their background and education and drive.

To cover up shortcomings they may have subordinates with the skills they lack. So if they are a physical weakling they may have a mid to heavy brick to carry out the beatings.

Different strokes for different folks. Take Dr Doom and Magneto. Doom has inventing skills and diplomatic immunity; Magneto has raw power and contacts in the mutant world.

Originally posted by Kristopher

I seem to be getting some tongue-in-cheek answers here...

Well, I think some of these are coming from those of us that don't feel that every single facet of a villain/NPC, especially a master villain, needs to be on the character sheet. If you come up with a great plot that requires your mastermind to be a bonsai expert, what are you going to do? Not run the plot? I'd just add it on as needed. The story is the important thing. Don't worry about the details on the master villain's KS skills - just rough outlines and general ideas, fill in as needed.

Bureaucratics, for manipulating the system.

Bribery, ditto.

SS: Political Science, ditto

Breakfall, because I like the letter "B" and it's good to have.

KS: Superheroes (if it's that type of world)

Tactics, an essential for a master strategist

PS: Instructor/Teacher: for training the minions.

SS: Anatomy

SS: Physiology (could combine w/Anatomy)

SS: Metahuman/Mutant Anatomy and Phsyiology

SS: Biomechanics or Biophysics (need to know how the body works mechanically so you can beef it up. Sort of the way architects know how much stress parts of buildings can handle)

Systems Operation: To run lab stuff and for hacking (oops, you already have this one)

Computer Programming: ditto

Cryptography: for making and breaking codes, maybe for hacking.

Security Systems: for securing base and infiltrating others' facilities (a skill that lackeys can be taught too)

Contacts out the wazoo.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Well, I think some of these are coming from those of us that don't feel that every single facet of a villain/NPC, especially a master villain, needs to be on the character sheet. If you come up with a great plot that requires your mastermind to be a bonsai expert, what are you going to do? Not run the plot? I'd just add it on as needed. The story is the important thing. Don't worry about the details on the master villain's KS skills - just rough outlines and general ideas, fill in as needed.

My concern in asking is to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I plan to post the entire bunch of characters here when I'm done with them, so I want to get them right and not have any "duh" moments.

When I am building a scientist character, I tend to give them the main science, plus subsidiary ones.

In your case, I would give him SS: Biology. This might only be at 11- or might be INT-based.

Then, I would give him more specific skills either INT-based or INT-based with some extra points spent to increase the roll. The ones Pattern Ghost has come up with are good choices.

I always think it's a bit odd to see a character with SS: Genetics at 19-, but not the slightest idea of how photosynthesis works, for example.

If he's going to be building all sorts of wonderful equipment (possible from your description of him including Electronics and Mechanics), he would benefit from engineering/electrical engineering Sciences. Inventor might be appropriate, as might Weaponsmith. These are not exactly essential, but are a logical extension of a super-scientist Master Villain.

Psych!

Your mastermind needs Psychology. In order to be a good leader when you aren't imbued with the power cosmic or whatever sfx you use for enough power to trivially fry any of your underlings, you need to know how to push the right buttons.

You need to know when somebody needs a pat on the head or a kick to the rear. You need to know the proper ratio of carrot to stick and you need to know the different offsets for your team leader, your rebel, your rank and file. You need to be a good judge of character and you need to keep your finger on the pulse of your team. You need to know when to make a move and when to stick with your current personnel. And when it's time to make changes, you need to communicate this to your underlings so it builds confidence rather than erode it.

You need to study the leaders who get people to overachieve. Bill Parcells needs to be your role model. (I would consider Dick Vermeil, but you said villainous mastermind)

Given that villains commonly employ underlings who aren't entirely sane, I would also put some points into KS: Abnormal Psychology.