Creating Normals

Tech

When you as a GM create a normal NPC, how do you go about the task? Do you use a base (75 pts, 100, 200, etc) with disadvantages? Do you not bother with a stat-sheet? Do you have your players make them up or something else? I'm interested in hearing how other GM's create normals for the players to interact with.

Most Normals are 0 Points with "Everyman" skills.  I've been 0 Points Normal characteristics for both Male and Female characters (Men have more STR and Woman have a little more DEX).  

Any psychological limits they have pay for things like a Gun, Science or Professional Skills, or even some Martial Arts.  

Unless they have a recurring role, I don't stat out normals. Just jot down the skills pertinent to their role in the scenario and a brief description, anything more can be added if they get a larger role.

This is about my approach too...unless I get the itch to stat. 

Yep....about the size of it.....

I don't typically stat out 'normals' unless they will have a possible role in combat. (For instance, a police officer the PC works with closely might get statted out.) For most recurring NPCs, though, I write up a short synopsis - name, job, family/significant individuals in that person's life, any key characteristic or skills, and any personal quirks that should be played out. I try to find an appropriate picture to include, which helps the players and I visualize the person.

I think 90% of normal NPCs and DNPCs probably could be built on 0-25 points apiece.  Maybe another 5% for 50 points, 3% at 75, 1.5% at 100, .5% 125+.  Heroic level normals should be nearly as rare as superhumans, imo, in most settings. 

Generally just think of one or two prominent traits they have, what they do for a living, and if they might have any useful hobbies, talents, contacts, etc. 

Interesting question. As there are many approaches.

The vast majority aren't.

The ones who are going to be around a lot have a few notes. Espically if they have skills the players don't. An engineer who doesn't knpw who the heros are but is friendly will probably have his enginerring roll noted. Which means his int is also noted.

The ones I stat out are the ones I hope will be found interesting by the players and they'll want to interact with. Depending on their role its between 25 and 100 points usually. People with weapons tend to be on the high end. For example. I stated out a character called the Admirial. a senile old man who thought the President had assigned him to keep an eye on the docks. Most people play along. He didn't have anything useful, but I had hoped they would find him interesting.

Creating Normals: (Total: 9 Active Cost, 1 Real Cost) Summon 2 5-point creatures, Expanded Class of Beings (Very Limited Group; +1/4), Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4) (9 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, -3/4), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

This one minute ritual calls into being a pair of perfectly normal Humans of variable age, gender, characteristics, etc. They are not obliged to do anything for the summoner (No Conscious Control) and immediately go free-willed.

Wow. For 1 pt a character can be a walking talking population bomb....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that the END cost is a limiting factor if long term END rules are in effect....