• Warlord
    • A new individual bearing the mantle/name of a Pagan deity
  2. 2. What did they conquer?

• Crimea
    • Haiti
    • North Korea
    • Somalia
    • Syria

Some will call it a failure on UNTIL's watch, others will place the blame squarely on the collective shoulders of globe trotting heroes who normally stop would be conquerors; a villain (or villains) have taken over a country, or section of a country, in less than three days!

The consequences will be far reaching, and some say liberation attempts from within and without are inevitable. Others fear that such attempts will end in bloody failure. 

But who do we speak of? 

And which land is now reborn as their domain?

I'd like your help in finding out!

Our Candidates...

Istvatha V'han - If any conqueror could unite the rest of the world against this, it would be the Empress of a Billion dimensions! Yet, hers is a velvet glove and iron fist combination, and many of those she's conquered will find their standard of living elevated overnight with the benefits they only dreamt of. Whatever general or administrator she has overseeing the care of this toehold, they themselves will be mandate of using this nation as a showcase for the benefits of bending knee to V'han.

Kinematik- The would be savior of superhumans has established a home for mutants and their like. From around the world the call goes out, let the truly gifted come freely and partake of a place free of the prejudice against their kind. No fool, Kinematik is not ruling from raw power alone, but many powerful followers at his side. Using the wealth of the seized nation to outfit it with an army loyal to him, he hopes to be ready against any threat. Those 'normal' people who can accept a second class structure will find themselves allowed to stay, but otherwise the borders will flood with a wave of refugees to other lands.

VIPER- Who else but VIPER would have the numbers and technology to seize so much in so little time? No ordinary Nest Leader is running this operation, but one of VIPER's brightest and best. Still, whoever she or he is, they rule not in their own name, but for the glory of the eternal snake!  Not as beneficent as V'han, nor selective as Kinematik; VIPER will certainly face outrage as a "terrorist organization usurping sovereignty" but what if some other nations secretly prefer the organization to the predecessor and VIPER milks covert aid for all its worth?

The Warlord- The Warlord is done playing. He has brought war to a nation and claimed it like Alexander of old. He seems unstoppable with his technology, his shadow army, and of course, the War Machine by his side. His tactics and resources have had him seize control over all strategic assets of the land in amazingly short time. But what form of rule will he impose? Does he dream of some Spartan myth made real, where the culture of the warrior is everything? And if allowed to have this nation, can a man of his stripe truly be content with just one?

A New Individual bearing the mantle/name of a Pagan Deity- A new figure strides onto the field of conquest, or is it a very old figure returned with a claim to the area older than any other? His or her power is immense, possibly bordering on the ability to alter reality itself! With a limited understanding of modern technology, this figure, despite all his/her personal power, might seem to be the easiest to overcome, yet there is a godlike presence at work here, and when this divine one (?) speaks, crowds become impassioned, and conversions happen by the hundreds!

Possible locations to be conquered

Crimea- Recently seized or liberated by the Putin Regime (Depending on who you believe), this area suddenly is yanked away again, and this time by one of the above. Will European supers fight against the new conqueror, or join in? Will Russia send in superagents of its own to fight along side armies? Will UNTIL demand authority to act despite the delicate nature of the region diplomatically speaking?

Haiti- Poverty stricken, ravaged by hurricanes; it would seem few would care about Haiti. And yet, it's conquest is still of concern to the greater powers around it. What's more, this is not the Haiti of our world, but rather a place where the power of Voo Doo is far more...forceful. Will that work in the favor of the new ruler, or against them?

North Korea- A threat to its southern brother, a nuisance to the world, and increasingly an embarrassment to the growing power of China; there are perhaps some that would breath a sigh of relief to have its old regime chain finally broken. Yet, it is unlikely such a strategic location in Asia could be ignored by the political playmakers. China's government would certainly bring its weight, but how much, and how fast? Will the Tiger Squad be sent to scout things out, or just a part of an army meant to 'remove the invader'. And what happens if somehow it fails? 

Somalia- "Nobody cares about Africa" goes a movie quote, and sadly it often seems true. Known best for piracy, anarchy, and downed helicopters, Somalia is a mess. Whoever takes it over will not be the first to attempt to do so, yet it's proximity to a major trade route will have instant ripples on the world stage. Depending on who takes it, some might secretly think it is better off.

Syria- Hooray! Daesh/ISIL is crushed! The Asaad regime completely ended! And violence in the region is quelled. Yet a superpowered dictator is not what anyone wanted. Those nations who have played (Either because they wanted to or because they had to) political chess in the region may find their visions not just stymied but completely undone. Will refugees want to return to this land with what appears to be a stranger ruling even if it would mean returning home? Would it be better off, or is the illusion of safety a pipe dream hiding an even worse future?

With the superhuman and technological resources at her disposal, my vote is for V'han to establish a foothold on Earth in Syria and use it as a propaganda piece. Mentalists at her disposal can find her enemies and rewrite the minds of local resistance leaders. There is probably more than one world under her reign where she has dealt with Muslims before that she could use as an example.

I'm just not sure whether Russia or the United States would react first.

I thought of the Pagan Diety and North Korea.

On the basis that it could now have Weapons of Mass Destruction, is close enough to give not only America and the Koreans nightmares but also Japan and China. Russia is a maybe.

Also an unknown which means scouting first. The others could be well enough known that you could do something.

I am surprised as at the time of posting nothing for Haiti ? For the Americans, might I point out Cuba and the Missile Crisis ?

Since you're using official Champions villains as the conquerors, is there any reason you would not want to use one of the fictional countries on the official Champions Earth? There are eight of them -- Awad, Chiquador, Costa Azul, Guamanga, Larisagrad, Lugendu, Lurranga, and Taqiristan -- all publicly known and integrated in the world community, and quite diverse (and which I can easily describe to you here if you'd like). Personally, as GM that's the sort of country I would have be taken over, to avoid having to account for messy real-world geopolitics, economics, geographic and cultural details, etc.

I voted for Viper in Somalia.

However, I could also see the Warlord acting as a defacto "kingpin" of warlords, there. An over-war-lord?

Viper in Syria could also work quite nicely, especially if it involves moves by the Council of 30 and not just the local nest leaders.

So, how about, the Warlord in Somalia and VIPER in Somalia?

That would destabilize two countries in (geographical) positions to impact International trade and commerce.

Personally, I think V'han establishing an embassy makes more sense than an invasion.

She's not stupid and a soft power and a foothold (sweetened with trade) would allow her access.

That would allow her to start recruiting agents who can orchestrate coups from within and destabilize the world order prior to invasion. 

A major developing nation like Brazil or China could see it as a road to power. So could a struggling first world nation, like Greece.

Or... why not the United States itself? Go big or go home!

Empress V'han goes to Washington...

Since you're using official Champions villains as the conquerors, is there any reason you would not want to use one of the fictional countries on the official Champions Earth? There are eight of them -- Awad, Chiquador, Costa Azul, Guamanga, Larisagrad, Lugendu, Lurranga, and Taqiristan -- quite diverse (and which I can easily describe to you here if you'd like). Personally, as GM that's the sort of country I would have be taken over -- avoid having to account for real-world geopolitics, economics, etc.

I know about them, but I figured I'd try a 'real' place (As real as any nation gets in another universe) for the following reasons:

1) Even though I know about those options, I wasn't sure others would and real locations would be more recognizable and thus more likely to get votes.

2) The Champions setting, being currently a bit out of date, is already going to be shifting anyway if I start up a campaign again. Might as well consider a change that would drive home this isn't our world exactly and supervillains make an impact.

3) There is a certain fun mental exercise aspect to it. What would happen to said nation is easy to answer for a fictional nation, almost too easy "Whatever the GM wants". Now that's the answer for "______ in the CU" as well, but I know there are some who enjoy touching on what ifs and alternate world geopolitics. If we can be civil about it, it might even be a perk.

Oh and I almost had Foxbat and Iowa as options, but I feared that would slant the votes too far towards that obvious joining.

Conquerors I wouldn't use for this scenario:

Istvatha V'han: The Empress thinks big. When she next invades, it won't be to take over a single country. She'll be after the whole planet, just like before. She actually already has a beach head on Earth in the person of the Gadroon in northern Canada, who are in her service.

Kinematik: At this stage in his campaign for mutant supremacy, Kinematik doesn't have the followers to effectively take over an entire country. If he recruited more of the other mutant supervillains he's been courting, or allied with more of the most powerful ones such as Gravitar and Holocaust, he might be able to do it (although in the latter case, issues of leadership would likely prove fractious).

Of the listed villains, VIPER and the Warlord both have national political takeovers on their agenda. ARGENT actually did try to engineer a coup in Chiquador, and have some other similar irons in the fire, heh heh. And let's not forget that Dr. Yin Wu and Tezcatlipoca both have the magical transformation/usurpation of China and Mexico, respectively, within their means and their plans.

I voted for Viper in Somalia.

However, I could also see the Warlord acting as a defacto "kingpin" of warlords, there. An over-war-lord?

Viper in Syria could also work quite nicely, especially if it involves moves by the Council of 30 and not just the local nest leaders.

So, how about, the Warlord in Somalia and VIPER in Somalia?

That would destabilize two countries in (geographical) positions to impact International trade and commerce.

Personally, I think V'han establishing an embassy makes more sense than an invasion.

She's not stupid and a soft power and a foothold (sweetened with trade) would allow her access.

That would allow her to start recruiting agents who can orchestrate coups from within and destabilize the world order prior to invasion. 

A major developing nation like Brazil or China could see it as a road to power. So could a struggling first world nation, like Greece.

Or... why not the United States itself? Go big or go home!

Empress V'han goes to Washington...

And your post is an example of what I was thinking of when I told LL that what if geopolitics can be fun :)

V'han has tried conquest before, so whoever lets her put up an embassy would definitely be taking a chance, but given her resources and tech, I can see a government (more than one) taking the gamble of the benefits outweighing the risks.

Istvatha V'han: The Empress thinks big. When she next invades, it won't be to take over a single country. She'll be after the whole planet, just like before. She actually already has a beach head on Earth in the person of the Gadroon in northern Canada, who are in her service.

You're spilling her Majesty's secrets! Report for re-education within 30 days, thank you

This makes the most sense to me, which is I why I voted that way.  Warlord has the weapons and manpower to bring the warlords under this thumb, eliminating those that would oppose him, arming those that would ally with him and adding them to his Shadow Army.  Much of the continent is also unstable or barely stable, making it ripe for conquest.

Conquerors I wouldn't use for this scenario:

Again, I agree completely.

The Kinematik option whiffs a little to closely to Magneto/Genosha which IMHO doesn't really have an appeal, but that's me.

As far as a write-in candidate, how about the forgotten master villain King Cobra infecting a humanitarian aid delivery with the COIL Gene changing a portion of the populace into slavishly loyal snake men creating an instant horde to aid in the takeover.

Hmm ok

Istvatha V'han north korea her

D troopers againsts the largest(if not best equipped army on earth with fortified border and already cowed local population. In the most populus part of the world with land connections to 2 of the most power full nations and close by see to a third with a local garrison of US troops near by.

I voted for VIPER in Syria.  Somalia was a close second choice, but I think VIPER would like to take advantage of the situation in Syria to push a "We put the benevolent in benevolent dictator" message.  In the same way that Hamas won power in Gaza by focusing on providing basic services, I think VIPER would seek to capitalize on the Syrian situation to highlight themselves as a "better" alternative to what's already there.

Just as a point of clarification, the "mess" in Somalia has improved substantially in recent years. The civil war is essentially over (some insurgents remain, but with little territory in their control), there's a federal government with a new constitution, the military has been reconstituted, and the economy has stabilized and begun to grow at an accelerating rate, substantially due to investment from the Somali diaspora worldwide.

Pagan In Syria. :)

That's where I come down, too. On Champions Earth there's a Middle-Eastern-based cult of the Dragon, The Sons of Kingu, worshiping the Dragon under the guise of Tiamat. I figure the right rituals could have channeled all the bloodshed of the last few years like a massive sacrifice to incarnate a major avatar of the Dragon, along with an army of ophites, uraei, and dragon warriors (summoned, or transformed members of the Sons).

Hmm ok

Istvatha V'han north korea her

D troopers againsts the largest(if not best equipped army on earth with fortified border and already cowed local population. In the most populus part of the world with land connections to 2 of the most power full nations and close by see to a third with a local garrison of US troops near by.

Most experts agree that the financial well-being and very health of the common North Korean populace is getting desperate. Istvatha could legitimately claim that she's trying to save and better the lives of innocent people, and her track record says she probably would. That could make a great object lesson to the rest of the Earth of the benefits to V'hanian rule.

I am surprised as at the time of posting nothing for Haiti ? For the Americans, might I point out Cuba and the Missile Crisis ?

Haiti is such a chronic mess, I'm not sure even supervillains would want to take it on. :(  The biggest disadvantage to that location, as death tribble's example suggests, is that it's right in the back yard of the US, so would be taken as a direct provocation. That would likely result in immediate American military intervention, unless the occupier has the power to make the consequences of that unpalatable.

Y'know the really scary part about CU Syria? ISIL/DAESH/whatever claims to be fighting in the cause of Allah; and in the dimension of Elysium there's a "real" Allah. What if they were able to convince that Allah that their cause is just? How would the world react if actual angels show up fighting for the Islamic State?

(Based on a purely fictional world with fictional "gods," no opinion of real-world religions intended, please don't hurt me.) :fear:

I put in for VIPER and Syria.

Viper because they are a campaign villain group in my world, apparently just at the start of their criminal intentions and Syria cause I also think that they can achieve some sort of Political Will from aiding the country and lessening their Evil Reputation!!

See, we're not Evil, just Misunderstood!!

I'll confess, if the Syria/Pagan mantle ones won

, my idea would be to have a woman with incredible mystic powers claiming to be Isis appear and show IMMENSE displeasure at a certain terrorist group twisting her name thusly.

Nice thought, but difficult to justify.

ISIS was the acronym derived from the English translation of the group's first name, "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria;" which could also be translated as, "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant," from which we got ISIL. But neither is a literal translation, and the group never used either, or any, acronym themselves. Their original name in Arabic was,"al-Dawla al-Islamiya fil Iraq wa al-Sham," out of which the group's opponents in the Middle East created an acronym pronounced as, "Da'ish" or "Daesh" (which is often used pejoratively, so the group hates it). The group itself has officially shortened its name to, "Islamic State," implying they aspire to broader territory than Iraq and Syria. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27994277