MMM Cover

Guest C_Zeree

Indeed. Very nice. Kudos to the artist.

I was going to ask if he is a new artist for DOJ. But I went to his site and found a large number of illios that I love. I don't know why, but I just never really caught the name. In any case thanks Andy for all the great work you've done on the Hero books. You do great work and I look forward to seeing it for years to come.

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by Lord Liaden

It wasn't clear to me whether the griffins are babies, or the humanoid figures are giants or gods. (Given the setting, they could be either.)

My first glance I thought they were giants, storm/cloud types.

But I agree the majesty of the scene is superb.

Those griffins aren't babies; they're full-grown adults. Andy C. worked hard to make sure they were in-scale given the size of cloud and storm giants. We tried to figure a way to put in a normal human, too, for even more scale, but there was no decent way to work it out.

And wait 'til you see AC's cover for The HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook -- the rough sketch alone has me jazzed about finishing the book. ;)

Originally posted by Ndreare

Any Chance of getting a "HERO" Art link going or would that have either of the following problems?

Copyrite conserns or Storage Space.

If not it would be cool to see a link of "HERO" art.

Agreed. Even a bunch of links to the artists' own pages would be nice. I didn't know Andy had one until I did a google search. No doubt other do as well.

simply breath taking

One of the best fantasy RPG covers I've seen. I agree that the image is majestic and the sunset is just sureal.

I thought that the humaniods were just an unusual (alien) race, not the storm / cloud giants; and to me at first the griffins were babies.

I'm also impressed with the giants holding hands. A subtle thing and showing that kind of love on the cover is quite different.

I also like that the action is implied rather than directly shown. And I give the dragons two combat turns before they turn tail and run, or fall from the sky ;)

Originally posted by Bartman

Agreed. Even a bunch of links to the artists' own pages would be nice. I didn't know Andy had one until I did a google search. No doubt other do as well.

So far I'm aware only of artists' websites for Andrew, Keith, Storn, and Nate. I'm searching around for others and I'll post the results in another forum.

Back on topic, the cover does indeed look absolutely incredible. I strongly suspect that DOJ could give away the text content for free and still sell plenty of books -- the art, both on the cover and inside, simply adds so very much to the proceedings. :D

I'm also impressed with the giants holding hands.

As a matter of fact, that plays into something in the book. As I've mentioned in a few other places, where I could I filled sidebars and whitespace in the book with individualized versions of the monsters. (That trick doesn't always work -- some carnivorous plants have no real personality. ;)) IOW, in addition to generic monsters the book has "NPC descriptions" that show how to turn the generic sheet into a specific NPC. All the NPCs are from the Turakian Age setting we'll be publishing next year.

The cloud giant NPC is Aristocles the Mighty, a powerful cloud giant king. That's his daughter Themia on the cover. She's being married to the guy, a storm giant named Imbarrus of the Tinarac clan, as part of an alliance between groups of cloud and storm giants to oppose their enemies, including the southern fire giants. The griffins are a wedding present; Aristocles raises/breeds them.

As for the dragons, I'm not sure whether they're preparing to attack, or just hanging around. Maybe they're attending the wedding. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

Those griffins aren't babies; they're full-grown adults. Andy C. worked hard to make sure they were in-scale given the size of cloud and storm giants. We tried to figure a way to put in a normal human, too, for even more scale, but there was no decent way to work it out.

A perspective change might have helped. Here the viewer is at chest level with the giants; if the perspective were at ankle level instead it would have given a greater impression of size.

The use of CG in this pic is a little too obvious, but all in all it's an excellent cover.

MMM COVER

Ladies and gents, thank you all tremendously for the kudos, it really means a lot to me. I'm just happy to be doing art for a living. I think my contact info is in my prifile or whatever if you guys ever have any questions I'll be happy to answer. Thanks again folks, you make me happy.

- Andy Cremeans

Florida Art Mafia Court Jester