2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

...and the Bengals still have Adam Jones...the 4 time offender who paralyzes people and wants cops to die.  :think:

Given the current environment, it feels nearly everyone wants cops to die.  (sorry, I get a little depressed when I think too much about the protests,  my feeling are extremely mixed, torn, and complicated)  :no: 

Camp's been pretty ugly so far. Ryan Tannehill may need season ending knee surgery, the Ravens have lost nine starters to injury and Flacco's back injury is costing him time. Two or three first-round draft picks have gone down already including Mike Williams, Will Fuller and Corey Davis. Are you not entertained?

Did I hear Miami was considering bringing in Cutler?

So, I just read on Yahoo! Sports that Ezekiel Elliott has been suspended six games for domestic violence.

And then--what the #€£! was I thinking?!--I started reading the comments.

The large majority (80%+) said, with varying degrees of eloquence, that Elliott shouldn't have been suspended because no criminal charges were filed, and that the Commissioner is a dictator who has too much power.

Is this a normal response? Am I really that solidly in the minority that thinks a guy who mistreated women on three different occasions got off easy?

Help me understand.

Well, the DA decided not to file charges, but that probably has more to do with the details of the level of evidence needed to get a conviction in that jurisdiction.

But remember: it is the Cowboys, and the Cowboys are the state religion in Texas.

I sympathize to the degree that there is no logic or consistency to Goodell's suspensions, which is why he is perceived as a dictator when it comes to enforcement of the personal conduct policy.  I'm not privy to the results of the NFL's yearlong investigation into the guy, but hopefully the suspension will teach him to clean up his act.

This will probably get into the courts, as leagues and unions look for a guiding precedent. I am on both sides -- the conduct was repulsive and worthy of punishemnt, and the Commissioner (regardless of who the commissioner is) has too much power. His rulings can be appealed to -- himself? Who decided that was a good idea?

I am on both sides -- the conduct was repulsive and worthy of punishment, and the Commissioner (regardless of who the commissioner is) has too much power. His rulings can be appealed to -- himself? Who decided that was a good idea?

The Players' Union, in the last Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Which is one reason Richard Sherman is already calling on the union to strike in 2020, when the current agreement expires. Despite the money involved, the current CBA is probably a pretty bad deal for the rank-and-file players. No guaranteed contracts, a discipline system stacked heavily against them, a concussion protocol that is sorely lacking, and so forth. Fans obviously enjoy labor peace, but the owners hold all the cards in the current agreement.

This will probably get into the courts, as leagues and unions look for a guiding precedent. I am on both sides -- the conduct was repulsive and worthy of punishemnt, and the Commissioner (regardless of who the commissioner is) has too much power. His rulings can be appealed to -- himself? Who decided that was a good idea?

Heh, sounds like the old ANdy Griffith Show gag where he gives someone a ticket, and they ask for the Justice of the PEace, and he turns his sheriff plaque on his desk around to shoe Jus of the Peace. :winkgrin: 

Which is one reason Richard Sherman is already calling on the union to strike in 2020, when the current agreement expires. Despite the money involved, the current CBA is probably a pretty bad deal for the rank-and-file players. No guaranteed contracts, a discipline system stacked heavily against them, a concussion protocol that is sorely lacking, and so forth. Fans obviously enjoy labor peace, but the owners hold all the cards in the current agreement.

Yeah, I an normally not a union fan, but even I can tell they got screwed in that deal.