2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Fun is never ridiculous. Fun is ALWAYS ridiculous. 

if watching them have fun playing a game for a living it not for you, it's not for you. And that's fair. 

There are many reasons not to watch NFL games. Celebrations rank very low on that list. That said, a lot of what happens with celebrations for sacks, hit and tackles seem to add insult to injury -- sometimes compounding it. Penalties for Unsportsmanlike Conduct in these cases are not enforced consistently enough to change anyone's behavior. And fans love gloating on the part of the players.

But some fans and players gloat over injuries, which takes things way too far. This is more than a guy's livelihood -- it's a guy's life. The cumulative effects of the punishment pro football players endure can be astounding, and there seems to be a lot of subconscious pressure on players to substantially under-report events like concussions that should take them off the field. You have to love football to play as a pro, or you won't survive. And choosing the right time to hang up your pads is a difficult decision, regardless of who makes it.

I believe you might have gotten TO mixed up with Chad Johnson, who literally renamed himself Chad Ochocinco. 

I was referring to both (or did I forget a comma :whistle: )

To be honest,  what I really hate is when it goes into the realm of taunting.  Don't have any respect for that.  (that and when way down, that is plain foolish, and I will stand on that)

I remember a few years ago, back when we had the NFL network, watching old episodes of "Football Follies" and just CRINGING at the helmet to helmet contact and the announcers laughing it off.  So jarring now... :(

The h to h rule was needed, though I do wish it would be used with a little more sense, I've seen too many called on  a defensive player who is already leaving their feet to tackle, when the receiver actually ducked their head into the other guy's helmet.  You cant change direction in mid-air.  And what the defense is actually allowed to do has already been severely neutered.

Fun is never ridiculous. Fun is ALWAYS ridiculous. 

if watching them have fun playing a game for a living it not for you, it's not for you. And that's fair. 

I do freely admit I am old-school with certain things.  (which should be obvious to all by now :winkgrin: )

The ironic thing is they'll still probably fine someone for wearing the wrong gloves, which has no logical reason to be offensive that I can see.

I suggest getting season tickets to San Diego State University football. they're not at the highest level, but the Aztecs ain't going anywhere. And being on the lower tier means they don't have the same incentives to cheat, or to cover up bad behavior, as the Power Five schools. Plus you get to see a couple of pretty good opponents at home this year -- Bosie State and Northern Illinois, which cracked the big bowls in the BCS days.

You can also probably actually afford tickets.

• 1 month later...

I suggest getting season tickets to San Diego State University football. they're not at the highest level, but the Aztecs ain't going anywhere. And being on the lower tier means they don't have the same incentives to cheat, or to cover up bad behavior, as the Power Five schools. Plus you get to see a couple of pretty good opponents at home this year -- Bosie State and Northern Illinois, which cracked the big bowls in the BCS days.

You can also probably actually afford tickets.

Um...

San Diego State football, despite its success, might be homeless in two years

Another unfortunate consequence of the Chargers leaving town. :(

Camp's been pretty ugly so far. Ryan Tannehill may need season ending knee surgery, the Ravens have lost nine starters to injury and Flacco's back injury is costing him time. Two or three first-round draft picks have gone down already including Mike Williams, Will Fuller and Corey Davis. Are you not entertained?