2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Football players (Aaron Hernandez excepted) have this amazing knack for skating away from their misdeeds. People just seem to keep giving them slack when they run afoul of the law, provided they don't "impact the shield". Kapernick, however, turned out to be "bad PR" among the sorts of fans who root for a football team like it's an army and an army like it's a football team. So naturally he is shunned, and I'm surprised the semi-paranoid Roger Goodell didn't suspend him last year.

I agree to a point on the PR thing with Kaepernick.  But, to a larger part, as someone whose father served in the Marines,  I was taught to respect the flag/anthem.  And respect is standing for a national anthem if you are able to stand.  While I might support his right to free speech,  that is the only thing I can give him in this regard.  And due to my dad's service, and my mom's brothers (all 4 of her brothers served in WW2), it is asking a lot for me not to see it as an affront to country and family.  I don't think I am one of those "uber-patriots" but yeah, you stand up for that.  So, yeah, I would "shun" him personally as you say.  Due to my own experiences, this is my conclusion, I would hope people would think through and draw their own conclusions (though I have very little faith  most on both sides do)

Having said all that, Kapernick probably should get another chance.  But, he is a sometimes good, but often inconsistent QB.  Essentially, if you are great, you can do anything I still get a contract.  The more marginal you go, the less baggage you can afford to have.  So, while his misdeeds are much less than many others.  It is ultimately a performance vs baggage scale. And if the latter holds heavier, you are out of luck.  The owners apparently just have deemed his antics more trouble than his talent is worth.

Third time you've mentioned this. Third time I'll counter with my father and his brothers all served. They are all grade A-1 assholes who never fought for our country. My Grandfather and Uncle who actually did never seemed to get as bent out of shape over such things as those who didn't.

So that's where my personal anecdote is born from. 

Safe to say I disagree with you. 

But I can see your point :) 

Yeah, I know I've mentioned it, and I dont think Michael intended it the way I immediately took it.  I realize I get kneejerked on this issue, something about Michael's wording got the reflex working. (I guess the whole for the army like its a football team, I guess I took as a stereotyping though I can point to people who are somewhat like that).  For my dad's part, who takes a look of disgust at the mention of Kaepernick, and refuses to talk about it.  Cant really ask my mom's brothers since they are all dead (last in 2004, I think it was).  In general, most vets I know (whether in combat or not) seem to be in my dad's camp with reaction.  I have to admit, I get bent oout of shape in the familial ties area, and speak before thinking.  Which will likely happen again at some point.

In any case, next time I'll try to invoke former baseball player Rick Monday, if I get rankled over Kaepernick. 

While I support Kaepernick's right to protest, I have mentioned earlier in this thread that choosing a mode of protest that is guaranteed to alienate 43% of the population as well as one's employer is... stupid.  At best all he did was polarize the debate and commit career seppuku.

Yeah, kind of what I have mentioned at times (though I tend to fail in eloquency in general)

TOm Brady or Matt Ryan or Russell Wilson, etc.  could actually do this, and while take flak for it, not ultimately be hurt career-wise. If you are fighting Blaine Gabbert for the top job on the 2nd worst team in the league, not as rosy.

On one hand, in the short-term it might have insured his employment.  Well, not as much as keeping quiet, period, of course.  But, if he was going to cause some type of trouble, at least for 2016-17.  Because with these type of things, while 43 percent of fans might want him gone ASAP.  Could you imagine the stink generated by a different 43 percent or so for daring to release him so quickly after "he merely voiced his beliefs".   In a lot of ways the 49ers were in a Kobayashi Maru on this.  (and in a similar vein, probably the reason Goodell didn't do anything, for good or ill)

That's a reasonably common event. Doesn't matter so much these days, especially in the US. In English law, a felony conviction could cause "corruption of the blood" and cause serious adverse consequences for the family of a deceased felon. It was a big enough problem (a common abuse by the Crown) that the Founding Fathers explicitly put a prohibition of it into the Constitution. I would have to ask my non-practicing lawyer wife to be sure, but it does have the effect that fines not yet paid by the deceased at the time of his death no longer hold, so any estate left behind doesn't have to pay them, which could be a mercy for the presumably innocent heirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Cortez Kennedy, Pro Football Hall of Fame DT, who was with Seattle for all of his 11-year career (1990-2000), was found dead in his home in Orlando. Cause of death not yet known, but foul play is not suspected. He was 48 years old.

According to tonight's paper:

They want to shorten OT, isn't it easy enough to get a tie since they altered sudden death?

And loosing up celebrations? Oh dear Lord, why?   Isnt dancing after scoring a TD when down 4 scores in the 4th annoying enough?

Because some people like fun. 

I agree to an extent.  But, I don't see how losing by 3 TDs is more fun than losing by 4.  If it is close, I don't mind it too much, within reason (Terrell Owens, the guy who wanted to be called by his number in Spanish, cough).  They seem to take it to ridiculous levels even with the "restraints", as it is, though

The way I see it, most of these guys are going to have very short playing careers followed by a lifetime of debilitating injuries to both body and mind. Too many of them are going to die young.

So I say, what's the harm in letting them celebrate while they can?

I agree to an extent.  But, I don't see how losing by 3 TDs is more fun than losing by 4.  If it is close, I don't mind it too much, within reason (Terrell Owens, the guy who wanted to be called by his number in Spanish, cough).  They seem to take it to ridiculous levels even with the "restraints", as it is, though

I believe you might have gotten TO mixed up with Chad Johnson, who literally renamed himself Chad Ochocinco. 

The top scoring team last season averaged 2.6 TDs per game. TDs per game are rare, TDs per player are rarer still.

That said, I don't necessarily need to see endsone celebrations. I like Lambeau Leaps and high fives. Dance routines, not so much. But perhaps they'll surprise me this season.

Fun is never ridiculous. Fun is ALWAYS ridiculous. 

if watching them have fun playing a game for a living it not for you, it's not for you. And that's fair.