2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Anyhow, my impression with Tribusky is that he has great potential, if you let him learn 1 preferably 2 years on the bench, but the Bears will likely get the idea to throw him out there on Day 1, where he will be unprepared and will get demolished to never be heard from again.

I don't buy this narrative, that getting beat up early in some way makes you a bad QB in the future. 

I suppose the proof is that most of them turn out average at best, but I'd say that about most QB's anyway. 

You could point to Aaron Rogers as proof of concept though. But then again Dak was thrown out (behind a great line, true) and excelled. He was unprepared and certainly not the #2 pick. 

High level 1st round QBs who flail and fall by the wayside were just not that good. Not that they were released to the wild too soon. (Barring injury of course)

Did the Raiders protect Carr all that well his first couple of years? Andrew Luck dragged three consecutive crappy Colts teams to the playoffs his first three years. RGIII was made of glass and bravado. 

I think it has less to do with when they start than it does their mental faculties and talent. 

I don't buy this narrative, that getting beat up early in some way makes you a bad QB in the future.

Depends on the QB. The poster boy for this is David Carr, drafted No. 1 overall, who spent four years leading the league in sacks for Houston, which taught him to be a skittish interception machine. He did get a Super Bowl ring eventually.

Did the Raiders protect Carr all that well his first couple of years?

Derek's offensive line was below average his first two years. He learned to get rid of the football extremely quickly under the tutelage of his older brother, but even so he suffered two injuries his first season.

Why the Browns didn't draft the QB they need

...and they promptly draft Kizer at 52.  Kizer is... not the QB I would have chosen based on what I've read.

Yeah that's the thing. None of them this year is a great QB. So why bother? One of these guys might turn out to be good. But that's a might. Telling teams they didn't draft a great QB when one wasn't available is about as stupid as Sports "reporting" gets.

Depends on the QB. The poster boy for this is David Carr, drafted No. 1 overall, who spent four years leading the league in sacks for Houston, which taught him to be a skittish interception machine. He did get a Super Bowl ring eventually.

Derek's offensive line was below average his first two years. He learned to get rid of the football extremely quickly under the tutelage of his older brother, but even so he suffered two injuries his first season.

Perhaps. But what about all the other bad 1st round QBs? 

QB is a hard position to play. 

Coaching is not always optimal

Line is rarely optimal

Some guys are so good they can go right away. Other guys can mature into it.

Some guys never do. I don't think being a high pick QB and asked to start right away is any worse for most QBs than waiting a few years behind someone else.

Look at the insane number of guys who never mature no matter where. See "QB's Selected by Browns since 2000."

I suppose the proof is that most of them turn out average at best, but I'd say that about most QB's anyway. 

You could point to Aaron Rogers as proof of concept though. But then again Dak was thrown out (behind a great line, true) and excelled. He was unprepared and certainly not the #2 pick. 

High level 1st round QBs who flail and fall by the wayside were just not that good. Not that they were released to the wild too soon. (Barring injury of course)

Did the Raiders protect Carr all that well his first couple of years? Andrew Luck dragged three consecutive crappy Colts teams to the playoffs his first three years. RGIII was made of glass and bravado. 

I think it has less to do with when they start than it does their mental faculties and talent. 

I don't necessarily either, although when your line sucks your body ages like you drank from a fake Grail (ask the elder Carr).  I do think it will depend on the mentality of the individual in question.  Despite recent events, I do think apprenticing under a veteran for a year (maybe even less) is the ideal situation.  And especially considering the consensus is that Tribusky is more raw than the usual QB taken at the point, it would be especially advantageous to not throw him out too early.

If there was someone who knew something about getting rid of the ball quickly it would have been David Carr. (it was necessary, for remaining in the world of the living in his case)

Why the Browns didn't draft the QB they need

...and they promptly draft Kizer at 52.  Kizer is... not the QB I would have chosen based on what I've read.

Well, Kizer was actually the first QB drafted in some of the early mock drafts I saw.  Though I think  the old Notre Dame bias might have been a small part to that, but regardless since then he seems to have become more and more irrelevant.  Possibly a good sleeper pick I suppose.  Certainly better than overshooting at #1 for a QB.

Is Cincinnati trying to become Raiders East? They don't have enough drama with Burfict, so now they draft Mixon too?

Don't they still have Pacman too?  (he and Burfict were the main reason for that playoff loss, Hill might have fumbled at a bad time, but if the defense is going to hand out yardage like Christmas, at last don't do it by penalty, especially of the unnecessary roughness variety)

Yeah that's the thing. None of them this year is a great QB. So why bother? One of these guys might turn out to be good. But that's a might. Telling teams they didn't draft a great QB when one wasn't available is about as stupid as Sports "reporting" gets.

That article.  One of the most massive amounts of bullcrap I've seen in a while in a sports article, which is mind-boggling to say in itself.

This is the smartest the Browns have been in the draft in years.  A team this bad is going to have many needs, picks should be based partly on your needs, but also should take in consideration the talent available.  All that should be obvious to even a novice.  The talent wasn't there with QBs, why pick a 3rd round talent with your #1 pick simply because it fits your needs.  Especially when you can get a #1 pick level talent with the #1 pick who fits other needs of yours. 

Why doesn't this guy go crap on Boston for the Patriots picking their current QB in the 6th rd?  Or maybe pee in Seattle's cornflakes for that Russell Wilson scrub.  The Browns deserve praise for once for getting the best talent available rather than forcing one that plain didn't exist.  For all we know Garrett could get Browned like every other 1st rd pick they make, but at least he has high-1st rd talent. So to this writer STFU!

Well, Kizer was actually the first QB drafted in some of the early mock drafts I saw.  Though I think  the old Notre Dame bias might have been a small part to that, but regardless since then he seems to have become more and more irrelevant.  Possibly a good sleeper pick I suppose.  Certainly better than overshooting at #1 for a QB.

I like the Kizer pick slightly better since I found out that the Browns have no fourth round picks this year.

Well, to be honest, the only big way the Browns could have screwed up was if they didnt pick Garrett at #1 and (apparently) listened to ESPN and drafted a QB.  Maybe, they could/should have taken a QB at #12, but nowhere near the travesty that has been made out. 

They do seem to be making a priority at winning the trench battle with the OL being their apparent greatest strength along with getting Garrett (and LB Collins last year), I like to see that type of approach.

Don't they still have Pacman too? (he and Burfict were the main reason for that playoff loss, Hill might have fumbled at a bad time, but if the defense is going to hand out yardage like Christmas, at last don't do it by penalty, especially of the unnecessary roughness variety)

Oh yeah, Pacman Jones. The trifecta is now complete.

Great work, Bungles.

:stupid:

Interesting op-ed piece from USA Today:

An unsigned Colin Kaepernick is a bad sign for NFL

From the article:

Is it worse to be known for not standing for the national anthem than for being accused of hitting or assaulting someone? Is Kaepernick a less desirable member of an NFL team or community than, say, Oakland Raiders first-round draft pick Gareon Conley, who is being investigated by the Cleveland police on a rape allegation, or Cincinnati Bengals second-round pick Joe Mixon, who was caught on videotape knocking out a woman with a devastating punch?

As of now, it appears the answer is yes.

A not-entirely-serious side question: Suppose things go perfectly wrong for Raiders 1st round pick Gareon Conley, and he is ultimately indicted, charged, and convicted. He goes to prison for 5-15 years and never plays a down in the NFL.

Would that make him a bigger draft bust than JaMarcus Russell? :think:

A huge question is whether the Raiders front office did their homework on Conley before selecting him. If not, they get what they deserve.

The Seahawks signed RB Thomas Rawls as an UDFA after the draft a couple of years ago; he had had trouble with the law in college that prevented him being drafted. The Seattle front office spent no small effort researching that and assessing whether Rawls was a serious off-field risk. Ultimately they decided he was not, and aside from loss of playing time from on-field injuries, he's done very well and avoided off-field trouble.

Doing that homework is part of what a front office is supposed to do. Did the Raiders do it, and do it right?

Football players (Aaron Hernandez excepted) have this amazing knack for skating away from their misdeeds. People just seem to keep giving them slack when they run afoul of the law, provided they don't "impact the shield". Kapernick, however, turned out to be "bad PR" among the sorts of fans who root for a football team like it's an army and an army like it's a football team. So naturally he is shunned, and I'm surprised the semi-paranoid Roger Goodell didn't suspend him last year.