2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Just as a point of inquiry, does anyone know when Americans started the practice of opening sporting events with the National Anthem? I'm not asking for an opinion (if I do talk about my opinion on it, it'll be in the Politics thread), but rather what the context was for its adoption. Was it adopted during wartime and happened to carry through once the war in question was over?

And it is universal now across national boundaries?

Hmm, that would be an interesting question.  I think the NFL doing was more recent.  But, it seems baseball has done it since I've been around at least.  I know in NBA Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf protested in the 90s, so it was probably around at least since then.

ANd of course during the award ceremony in the Olympics they play the winner's anthem. (which I actually feel should be honored regardless of your feeling towards said country, if nothing else respect the athlete's hard work, and ideally politics shouldnt get mixed with the Olympics, yeah I know fantasy world, but at least try)

I'm thinking this discussion should be moved to the political thread, but yeah, any protest that might be perceived as disrespect for the flag will only be a distraction.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.  I kind of realized after the fact, unfortunately (when I came back after posting to this thread tonight, I realized to my myself "you idiot").  Especially, bad considering I have been the more.......vocal towards it.

Apologies for that.

(I feel like, I fall for it everytime)  :no: 

Just as a point of inquiry, does anyone know when Americans started the practice of opening sporting events with the National Anthem? I'm not asking for an opinion (if I do talk about my opinion on it, it'll be in the Politics thread), but rather what the context was for its adoption. Was it adopted during wartime and happened to carry through once the war in question was over?

And it is universal now across national boundaries?

I found an article on ESPN on the subject. I haven't cross-referenced it for verification, but ESPN's research, at least in things related to sports, tends to be pretty solid.

The song remains the same

tl;dr version:

The practice appears to have originated during the 1918 World Series between the Red Sox and the Cubs (no, that's not a typo). FWIW, the Red Sox won the Series in six games; it would be the last World Series they won in the 20th Century.

Hmm, not promising, on that research.  The White Sox won the 1917 WS.  The Red Sox won the 1918 one (for both it would be their last 20th century win coincidentally)

So either the date or the Sox are wrong.,

Edit: Likely the date, 1917 pitted the White Sox vs Giants, Red Sox and Cubs in 1918.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Siemian has anything to worry about. He's won the starting job two straight years now. As far as the team is concerned (or so I've read), he's The Guy.

Paxton Lynch is the one who needs to worry. He's on the path to Bust status if he doesn't start showing significant improvement fast. He's making too much to stay on the bench much longer.

I mean, they actually refer to the color as orange on clevelandbrowns.com, so...

And although it’s a new, official part of the Browns’ ensemble, the orange jersey has history that dates back to 1953, when the team wore orange jerseys in a home-opening rout of the Philadelphia Eagles. After wearing them for exhibition games in 1954 and 1955, the Browns waited 47 years before bringing them back for a 2002 game against the Houston Texans. All told, Cleveland has worn orange five times in regular season games.

“We knew that orange would be an exciting color,” Scheiner said. “It hearkens back to some really cool moments in this organization.”

I mock them, but the Browns' uniforms aren't bad. Not compared to the Ravens' purple-with-hideous-numbers, or the Bucs' even-more-hideous-digital-numbers-seriously-why, or the Giants' gray.

And the Browns' logo is better than the new Seahawks' one, or the Titans', or the Ravens'.