2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

D'oh! You are quite correct, of course. I had forgotten about Browns 2.0 and the Texans. So yeah, 28. That was a little awkward, with unbalanced divisions.

For the record, I despise interleague play in MLB. Of course, I also despise artificial turf and the Designated Hitter. I might be a Luddite, at least in terms of baseball.

Well, agree on artificial turf, I much prefer the DH though.  But, no DH, isn't a dealbreaker. 

And Cleveland wants to forget about the Browns 2.0, so you can be forgiven there. 

...or go to an 18-game regular season, which idea seems to come up from time to time. Always at the suggestion of the owners, not the players, it's worth noting.

PLayers get hurt enough, without an extra 2 games, the owners want more money.

SO, given the current climate.  18 games would be an early victory, but the injuries would become even more noticeable, and the outcry would quicken the game's demise.

I think it's pretty much academic. I don't foresee any circumstance in which the NFLPA will agree to an 18-game season.

As for me, I'd be okay with extending the season a bit to give teams two bye weeks. I'd also like to see the NFL adopt a rule like the PAC-12 uses: If you're playing a Thursday night game, you must have a bye the week before.

With some of the issues we've seen recently between players and the Commissioner--and by extension, the owners--I expect the next collective bargaining agreement is going to be particularly acrimonious. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a work stoppage of some kind.

With some of the issues we've seen recently between players and the Commissioner--and by extension, the owners--I expect the next collective bargaining agreement is going to be particularly acrimonious. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a work stoppage of some kind.

A work stoppage is pretty much inevitable at this point. The only question is when, how long it will be, and who will blink first when it happens.

Yeah, I'd much rather have that myself, but I could deal with that not being so, if it is only those 2 games on a Thursday during the whole year.

But, Thursday games is just too much in general other than them.  I'm currently at a very low ebb of interest in football, but when it has been high, I don't have the interest for a Thursday night game.  Give me 2 Sunday afternoon games, the Monday game, maybe the Sunday night game sometimes.  If I am a football fan, I've already likely seen 2 college games on Saturday.  I'm footballed out.