2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Trevor Siemian is done for the year. The shoulder injury he suffered last night is a partial separation. Good news is that he won't need surgery.

Bad news? Either Brock Osweiler or Paxton Lynch will start the Broncos' last two games.

The QB situation for next year is...a hot mess. Siemian still has a year left on his contract; Lynch has two left. Neither of them is making anything like traditional staring QB money (<$1M in 2018 for Siemian; <$1.5M in 2018, <$2M in 2019 for Lynch). Osweiler is, of course, making something exorbitant like $16M next year, but it's almost all being paid for by Cleveland.  Osweiler's only here on a 1 year deal anyway; I'd be very surprised to see him back next year. But I was surprised to see him here this year, so I guess you never know.

Knee-jerk speculation in Broncoland is currently focused on Elway grabbing another aging QB and hoping to ride him to another Super Bowl the way they did with Peyton Manning. Eli Manning's name keeps popping up, but I don't know how seriously to take that. There's also speculation that Elway will try to chase Kirk Cousins if Washington decides not to keep him. I've also heard Tyrod Taylor's name brought up, although I can't imagine why Buffalo would let go of him, given Peterman's debut outing.

It's going to be an interesting offseason in Denver.

From Spotrac.com's NFL Injured Reserve Tracker:

Ryan Tannehill QB MIA Knee ACL 17 $20,300,006 $17,975,341
Carson Palmer QB ARI Arm 10 $14,191,180 $9,117,650
Aaron Rodgers IR-DTR QB GB Collarbone 11 $13,135,298 $8,120,585
Sam Bradford QB MIN Knee 8 $8,470,592 $6,660,232
Andrew Luck QB IND Shoulder 9 $10,270,584 $3,705,885
Zac Dysert QB DAL Back 17 $614,992 $614,992
Josh McCown QB NYJ Hand 3 $1,147,059 $529,413
Alex Tanney QB TEN Foot 17 $393,584 $393,584
Jeff Driskel IR-DTR QB CIN Finger 17 $362,984 $362,984
Chad Kelly QB DEN Knee 17 $364,072 $347,990
Carson Wentz QB PHI Knee ACL 3 $1,069,908 $293,394
Deshaun Watson QB HOU Knee ACL 9 $1,300,770 $184,230

That's $48M in damage to QBs alone, not including Siemian.

There are 374 players on this list for 2017.  Are you not entertained?

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Trevor Siemian is done for the year. The shoulder injury he suffered last night is a partial separation. Good news is that he won't need surgery.

Bad news? Either Brock Osweiler or Paxton Lynch will start the Broncos' last two games.

The QB situation for next year is...a hot mess. Siemian still has a year left on his contract; Lynch has two left. Neither of them is making anything like traditional staring QB money (<$1M in 2018 for Siemian; <$1.5M in 2018, <$2M in 2019 for Lynch). Osweiler is, of course, making something exorbitant like $16M next year, but it's almost all being paid for by Cleveland.  Osweiler's only here on a 1 year deal anyway; I'd be very surprised to see him back next year. But I was surprised to see him here this year, so I guess you never know.

Knee-jerk speculation in Broncoland is currently focused on Elway grabbing another aging QB and hoping to ride him to another Super Bowl the way they did with Peyton Manning. Eli Manning's name keeps popping up, but I don't know how seriously to take that. There's also speculation that Elway will try to chase Kirk Cousins if Washington decides not to keep him. I've also heard Tyrod Taylor's name brought up, although I can't imagine why Buffalo would let go of him, given Peterman's debut outing.

It's going to be an interesting offseason in Denver.

TYrod Taylor isn't that crazy, the fact Peterman got that debut outing is indication they want rid of him (for whatever reason).  Cousins would be a pretty good option, if they put out a defense at or near the level of said Super Bowl season (and he isn't all that old)

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Cousins and Taylor are good QBs inexplicably despised by their organizations, which as a result are doomed to wallow in mediocrity for ever.

Yeah, I'd say Cousins is a little above average,  Taylor around average.  Both, certainly better than quite a few QBs claiming to be starters.   Cousins had a fairly elite year last year (Vernon Davis would caught 3-4 more passes, they would have had 6 50 reception receivers, something I'm not sure has ever happened, though maybe the Saints pulled one off.

Course, the most hated QB by their own organization is ANdrew Luck, his employers have practically tried to get him killed.