2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Well, I think it makes no sense to fire any coach after one season.  It is only fair to give a guy at least 2 years.  Plus, you're only insulting your own decision-making ability ("He's so bad you don't even give him 2 years?  What kind of idiot were you for hiring him then?) if you oust a guy after one year.

First year records

Jimmy Johnson 1-15

Bill Belichick (Patriots) 5-11

Chuck Noll 1-13

Bill Walsh 2-14

Bill Parcells 3-12-1

Unless there's some colossal screw-up (ala Ben McAdoo, and we're not even all of that was completely his decision), one year is just not enough time to evaluate that job IMO.

And the firings have commenced, including some coaches with pretty good regular season records but unlucky playoff performances.

It looks like the Pats are almost a default team in the playoffs. I wonder if anyone is seriously thinking they won't win the Super Bowl (at least among the pundits). Their problem is that someday Tom brady will retire and I don't think they're really planning for that event. They seem to have no desire to keep someone who can really step in. I can see why they traded Garoppolo -- it doesn't do him any good not to play, and it made sense to send him somewhere for at least for a while he can be the undisputed starter. But what will they do after the rapidly-approaching end of Brady's career?

I wonder when Tom brady will decide he's accomplished all he can as an NFL quarterback and decide to move on with his life? What would it take for that to happen?

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm inclined to wonder: With either the Patriots or the Steelers in the Super Bowl, will it really matter who the NFC team is?

Steelers tend to play down to their opponent's level.  Although I'm not sure it's possible to play down as far as the Vikings.  That would be like the Steelers almost losing to the Browns except for a dropped pass by Corey Coleman.

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Steelers tend to play down to their opponent's level.  Although I'm not sure it's possible to play down as far as the Vikings.  That would be like the Steelers almost losing to the Browns except for a dropped pass by Corey Coleman.

You are hilarious.  The Vikings have the same record(13-3), fewer points allowed, fewer yards allowed, Case Keenum  and the offense make very few mistakes, and if they make it to the Super Bowl, it's a HOME GAME for them.  Every slight and writeoff comment by sports media and other teams will become bulletin board material.  I'm sure they look forward to playing against 40 year old interception prone Tom Brady.  

2 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

You are hilarious.  The Vikings have the same record(13-3), fewer points allowed, fewer yards allowed, Case Keenum  and the offense make very few mistakes, and if they make it to the Super Bowl, it's a HOME GAME for them.  Every slight and writeoff comment by sports media and other teams will become bulletin board material.  I'm sure they look forward to playing against 40 year old interception prone Tom Brady.  

The point of this thread is to mock the Tribble, not talk sense.  Come on.

26 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

Bills fans donating to Andy Dalton's charity in appreciation for his part in them making the playoffs. 

In $17 increments, one dollar for every year since their last playoff appearance. I would root for the Bills in the playoffs if they were playing anyone but the Jags.