The Reformed not likely to be used continuing NaNoWriMo thread

Hermit

5 hours ago, Hermit said:

Today, we let our dog pass out of pain and out of this world. So I've not gotten any real writing done and not sure I will today.

Condolences, losing a pet is tough. 

I'm likely to finish today at 0. Had a long day of visiting family for my niece's birthday party today, so that wore me out. It didn't help that I woke up at 330 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep.

Finished Ben Tennyson Studies Magic. Ben and Levin arrest Marty Hacks for parole violation and lets the ADA set up a plea deal which Ben sweetens by telling Hacks that he knows who really killed his sister and he had went around and killed five innocent men for nothing. Hacks agrees to the deal for that information.

CES   

7400 right now, with a couplw of hundred more to do today after I've pacified the cat's need for lap time pets.

EDIT: 7800 words at close of business today.  A much better way to spend this morning than watching the Seahawks get their clocks cleaned in Baltiore.

Edited by Cancer

Know that feeling. The thing I'm bashing on for this project is Book 3 of a tetrology I first started writing back around 1990.  Book 1 was completed but now only exists in a single printed version (disk failures, sigh).  A number of handwritten fragments exist for Book 2, a few more of Book 4.  Then my kids were born.  Then I got full-time teaching duties, and added some administrative ones, and so nothing more got done for 20+ years.  Kids are now out of school and I am retired.  (Wife has a serious illness now, so there's still significant distractions.) So away we go....

Got a doctor's appointment in an hour, though.

Best of luck with everything, @Cancer.  If I come up with any better words I'll send them.  Sometimes we wrap up some life issues only to take on more, and I wish you (and your wife!) well.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to still have our parents, and our own health is decent.  As my mother in law is fond of saying, though, "You're day's coming!"  For now I'll just enjoy each time with our parents as it comes.

Somewhat more on topic, the projects currently in my hopper are:

• Star Wars fan fiction.  This was originally inspired by characters I played in the old--err, classic--West End d6 roleplaying game.  The characters and story have evolved tremendously since these stories began in high school.  I have a fairly clear idea of the beginning and ending of the series, plus quite a bit in the middle.  It takes place during the classic setting of the roleplaying game, i.e. between Star Wars (yes, I still call it that) and The Empire Strikes Back.  This is the era I know best, and focusing here helps me avoid the headaches of choosing a head canon from the Expanded Universe (EU), EU 2.0 (post-sequel trilogy), and so on.  It follows the story of a small band of Rebels doing their part in the struggle against the Empire.  I might have some of the movie characters make small appearances--for example, Admiral Ackbar plays a peripheral role in a couple of stories--but that's about it.  The core of the story is the crew of a little freighter.
  • Jurassic Park fan fiction.  Several fan fiction bits have started and fizzled.  Most were blatant self-insertions.  One was the story of a team of mercs sent to recover the shaving cream can dropped by Dennis Nedry.  Another explored what might have happened if things didn't go south until after the park opened.  As that became the plot of the Jurassic World movies, I will probably never revisit it.  What I've got in mind now is a retrospective told by Tim Murphy.  It begins at Alan Grant's funeral, where Tim decides to finally write down the events of that terrible weekend at Isla Nublar.  The idea grew during a recent family trip to Hawaii, plus 2023 being the 30th anniversary of the movie.  Maybe this one will die as the others did, but first I want to run with it a while.
  • Scouting memoirs.  I've been involved in the same Scout troop since age 11.  I've got lots of stories to tell, and I'd like to write them down before they fade beyond recall.  I have no idea how I'd organize all this, so I'm just going to write and see where it leads.
  • Recon compilation.  In college, we played a "Recon" campaign with US Special Forces soldiers using the Hero System 4E rules.  We had such a blast that our main GM continued writing these characters for over 40 stories.  I want to compile these into one whole, make one last round of edits, and then compile it into a final whole.  Most likely it would be just an e-book, but if I can find a suitable printing service, a physical copy would be fun too.

All of these projects took on more life when I discovered Scrivener software and started playing around with it.  The way my brain works, Scrivener makes it a lot easier to keep disparate works organized into some kind of cohesive whole.  Much better than managing dozens of Word files.  It also allows great flexibility in organizing and compiling everything.

Who knows how far any of this will go, but I look forward to the journey.

I have finished one of my 'short stories' more or less (obviously a rough draft, so I'm not sure how readable it is). I'm currently weaving between two more, back and forth. This is where a plot would really come in handy. One I meant for a bit of overdramatic superhero action has turned into a bit more personal than I expected. The other is a challenge in a truly alien POV.

All total, I have about 14,500

I need 7 5k days. Dial H is at the point where Jo and Fass's FIghters are going to splinter cell the enemy government in the next few chapters

The Nano forums shut down because apparently one of the mods was abusing the kids in the young writers program. Complaints have been filed and the board that runs the nonprofit have put everything on hold until they have things sorted out. There are 800 replies in the public thread talking about this.

Didn't know about any of this. I am an adult and don't use the program or deal with anything there on the forums.

CES

For a mix of reasons varying from real-world duties to just flat not feeling it, I went idle for for four or five days and have accepted that I'm just not going to make 50k in this month.  But, I'm not abandoning the project, and we'll just have to see what I manage to get done.

This evening I'm composing text, and at 1100 words in tonight's segment.

Hermit have hit 25,000! The half way mark! PUNY NANOWRIMO! YOU SEEK TO CHALLENGE HERMIT?

Rarh! Hermit care nothing for Plot! Hermit no need grammar! Hermit no kare spellin!

No, Hermit make WORD THINGS! HE MAKE WORD THINGS GO!

*storms off to desert mesa amid the wreckage and debris of the English language*

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Hermit have hit 25,000! The half way mark! PUNY NANOWRIMO! YOU SEEK TO CHALLENGE HERMIT?

Rarh! Hermit care nothing for Plot! Hermit no need grammar! Hermit no kare spellin!

No, Hermit make WORD THINGS! HE MAKE WORD THINGS GO!

*storms off to desert mesa amid the wreckage and debris of the English language*

Ah, I just read Hermit's latest installment on the Fish Guy thread.  It involved Pogo.  So that explains Hermit going around the bend.

And yes, HERMIT KEEP MAKE WORD THINGS GO!