Daylight savings time?

15 minutes ago, mrinku said:

Smirk all you like, you tropical bastard :)

I get overtime out of it, so I can't complain. And my own latitude (42 degrees south) seems to pretty much in the DST sweet spot.

These days the best argument is probably environmental. Maximising natural light does cut down on power usage.

Whereabouts are you located? 

15 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm curious how closely opinions on DST track with one's latitude.  Up here in the Great White Nort (ok...I'm not _that_ far north), it's rather nice when daylight savings rolls around in the fall -- I'm no longer getting up before the break of dawn.  There's a definite mental advantage there.

Well, working 2nd shift, I get up and go to work in the afternoon daylight, and I leave work after dark regardless of year.  So it doesn't matter

Well, on Fridays I get to leave earlier (8-9 pm depending).  So, for about 8 Fridays a year I get to drive home at dusk

The southeastern states of Australia all use it (Tasmania, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia). Queensland and the Northern Territory don't because they're too far north for it to matter (tropical latitudes) and Western Australia (which could go either way as it has both tropical and temperate latitudes) chooses not to.

Queensland doesn't use it because it fades the curtains and frightens the sheep. Or something like that.

OK, I live in the south east of Queensland, and was a computer dude for a company that operated nationwide. The time difference meant that there was an extra hour between the system crashing in the early hours of the morning and me coming into work to fix it up. I'm a supporter of DST to the extent that Queensland needs to be on the same time zone as the rest of the east coast states of Australia. (The Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) exists in its own space-time anyway, so I didn't need to say "states and territories".)

There are some legitimate reasons in the tropics, but for most of Queensland the argument against is a load of instinctive rejection of change.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:11 AM, Tech priest support said:

JOOC, does any country besides america use DST?

Daylight saving time (DST) is observed in all Canadian provinces, with the exception of most of Saskatchewan, which observes Central Standard Time year-round even though it is in the Mountain Zone, effectively putting it on DST year-round. Under the Canadian Constitution, laws related to timekeeping are a purely provincial matter.

Most of British Columbia (BC) is on Pacific Time and observes DST. However, there are two main exceptions:

Part of the Peace River Regional District of BC (including the communities of Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Hudson's Hope, Fort St. John, Taylor and Tumbler Ridge) is on Mountain Time and does not observe DST. This means that the region's clocks are the same as those in Calgary and Edmonton in the winter, they are the same as those in Vancouver in the summer. The residents of Fort Nelson have voted to also stay on year-round MST since 2015.

The East Kootenay region of south-eastern BC (including the communities of Cranbrook, Fernie, Golden and Invermere) is on Mountain Time and observes DST. This means that the region is always on the same time as Calgary; much of the region gets television by way of rebroadcasters of Calgary stations. One exception in this region is Creston, which observes MST year round. Clocks in Creston match those in Calgary in the winter, and Vancouver in the summer.

While the rest of Nunavut observes DST, Southampton Island including Coral Harbour remain on Eastern Standard Time throughout the year. The Kitikmeot Region including Cambridge Bay observes DST but is on Mountain Time.

Most of Ontario uses DST. Pickle Lake, Atikokan and New Osnaburgh, three communities located within the Central Time Zone in northwestern Ontario, observe Eastern Standard Time all year long.

Most of Quebec observes DST. However, the eastern reaches of Quebec's North Shore, east of 63° west longitude, are in the Atlantic Time Zone, but do not observe DST (see exception, below). The effect is that in summer their clocks match those of the rest of the province, while in November, their clocks are rejoined by their Atlantic Standard Time neighbours. Although places east of 63° west are officially on Atlantic Time, local custom is to use Eastern Time as far east as the Natashquan River. Those communities observe DST, including all of Anticosti Island, which is bisected by the 63rd meridian. The Magdalen Islands observe Atlantic Time including DST.

Although the entire province of Saskatchewan is geographically within the MST zone, the province is officially part of the Central time zone. As a result, while most of Saskatchewan does not change clocks spring and fall, it technically observes DST year round. This means that clocks in most of the province match clocks in Winnipeg during the winter and Calgary and Edmonton during the summer. This time zone designation was implemented in 1966, when the Saskatchewan Time Act was passed in order to standardize time province-wide.

The charter of the city of Lloydminster, which is bisected by the Saskatchewan–Alberta boundary, gives it a special exemption. Lloydminster and the immediately surrounding region in Saskatchewan observe Mountain Time year-round, with officially sanctioned seasonal daylight saving time (which in the summer, puts it in sync with the rest of Saskatchewan). This is to keep clocks on the Saskatchewan side in sync with those on the Alberta side; Alberta mandates the use of daylight saving time province-wide. Along the Manitoba border, the small, remote Saskatchewan towns of Denare Beach and Creighton unofficially observe Central Daylight Time during the summer, thereby keeping the same time as larger neighbouring Manitoba communities.

[Transcribed from Wikipedia.]

Is it possible to observe fall DST every weekend?  If so, that gets my vote.  :)

Anyway, I find it interesting that you see all these reminders, "Don't forget to turn your clocks back!"  How soon will this phrase become obsolete when nearly every timekeeping source I own sets itself back?  :)

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Is it possible to observe fall DST every weekend?  If so, that gets my vote.  :)

Anyway, I find it interesting that you see all these reminders, "Don't forget to turn your clocks back!"  How soon will this phrase become obsolete when nearly every timekeeping source I own sets itself back?  :)

* Cancer protectively hugs his non-contentious, manually set old clock *