National Science Fiction Day

Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Today is National Science Fiction Day in the Untied States (and perhaps elsewhere). Celebrate by sharing your favorite Science Fiction stuff.

I wish I had known that.

I just knew it was National Creampuff Day

Lucius Alexander

Feeding a creampuff to a palindromedary

I've watched very little TV over the last 30+ years, so all I can do is recall just how brilliant for its time was Star Trek TOS.

And as someone who saw it in first run in 1968 as a 12-year-old, I didn't understand much of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I knew it was just unspeakably cool.

Going to books ...

Brin's Startide Rising

Zelazny's Lord of Light and Doorways in the Sand slug it out for the position of my favorite book from him

Silverberg's Downward to the Earth

A shout for really hard, really old stuff: Clement's Mission of Gravity

Laumer's Dinosaur Beach, just about my favorite time travel story

I'll take the original Battlestar Galactica over the reboot, thanks. Yes, I know it was cheesy and that some of the episodes are blatant rip-offs of other movies. But it had heart, and an odd sort of charm.

I'll take that over BSG2.0's grimdark any day of the week.

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'll take the original Battlestar Galactica over the reboot, thanks. Yes, I know it was cheesy and that some of the episodes are blatant rip-offs of other movies. But it had heart, and an odd sort of charm.

I'll take that over BSG2.0's grimdark any day of the week.

The Original Battlestar Galactica had actors and actresses we liked.  That makes up for a lot.

5 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The reboot had Edward James Olmos. I have met him. Nice guy. Treats the fans well.

The original went into Galactica 80. Thus the reboot wins.

Galactica had Robyn Douglass.   Galactica still wins even if Barry Van Dyke did get beaten up by Debra Winger.

39 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The reboot had Edward James Olmos. I have met him. Nice guy. Treats the fans well.

Yeah, but you also like the Minnesota Vikings and that plain-looking woman from The X-Files, so what do you know?

:nya:

50 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Agents of SHIELD had Edward James Olmos and after he showed up it started to get awful.

He's overrated.