The Academics Thread

Pariah

There is a high school in the district where I live that currently has nearly 500 of its 2200 students under quarantine. One of their CTE teachers is currently hospitalized and on a ventilator. I have a friend who teaches at this school, and she scared out of her mind.

At an emergency school board meeting tonight, the board in this District decided they were shifting this school to an online only learning model.

For the next two weeks.

I hope that teacher is still alive at that point. And if not, I hope her family has that Superintendent and School Board act as pallbearers at her funeral, so they can let her down literally as well as figuratively.

As someone going to a nearby state college, and whom has a mother teaching in a business classroom in a nearby highschool, it's crazy to see the differences that some schools are taking.

The college is advocating that they are doing everything in their power to not shut down and to keep students in classes. Practically, I know that's because they just changed their teaching software to a more up to date model this year, and need to rely on being able to have physical backups instead of just hopping directly into an online model on new software. Practically, I also understand I sit in a classroom of 20 trying to not move or talk, while we all wear a mask and have excessive amounts of disinfectant on every desk, as people who are just now learning how to handle having personal responsibility are told to be careful.

On the other hand, at the highschool my mother works at... They set up a thermal screening set for entering the school, turn people away if they are over a set temperature, shut down a classroom to perform contact tracing if someone is found to have anything close, require a two week period away from school minimum if someone has been infected or has been in regular contact, lunch has been relegated to their fourth period classroom, have set times where people can enter and leave even on busses, and have entirely reworked the bell schedule along with Teachers having to Walk Students to their next class to avoid excess contact. The principal is waiting with their hand over the Shutdown button, just waiting till something happens.

It's... a crazy sort of difference.

...and today is the day that the long-anticipated fecal material made contact with the rotary oscillator.

We're in dismissal until at least October 8th. Distance learning only. Everyone (teachers and administrators included) is out of the building for the next two days for deep cleaning.  And we can only hope that our students (and their parents!) won't do anything in the interim to make matters worse.

Here we go.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:15 AM, Sveta8 said:

Ah, see, this is where the grader made a mistake.

You see, you see this? Chicago has a set space, but is treated as public. Just redefine Chicago's values, and have it cover everywhere. Then, the answer is Yes. You are already in Chicago.

But I dont wanna be in Chicago.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, the first assignment came due overnight and I am looking at what is in my inbox.  So far it's perfectly in tune with this being 2020: it's an apocalyptic hellscape, with the high score so far being 50%.

Smarter than usual this year huh

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

...and today is the day that the long-anticipated fecal material made contact with the rotary oscillator.

We're in dismissal until at least October 8th. Distance learning only. Everyone (teachers and administrators included) is out of the building for the next two days for deep cleaning.  And we can only hope that our students (and their parents!) won't do anything in the interim to make matters worse.

Here we go.

If only someone could have foreseen this!

55 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Memo to self: when you set a virtual lab assignment deadline of 11:59PM, do not yourself be online after about 10PM that night.  9PM is a better, safer deadline to avoid the panic.

The wife discovered this unfortunate situation a few months ago towards the end of the school year.  :)