Insights from the long vacation

Cancer

Wife and I set out about 10AM on Monday April 23rd, returned about 2.5 hours ago.  Much good times, and many hours behind the wheel (roughly 4500 miles, all told) to reflect on them.  Some reflections deposited here.

1.  Let the record show that the very first text message I ever sent included the word "cretins", sent about 5:30 PM on April 25th, in reference to Denver traffic.

4.  Polychromatic visions on why this is a great country:  White Sands National Monument, New Mexico, on Saturday, May 5, 2018, Cinco de Mayo.  Three Buddhist monks, complete with saffron robes, are walking in the dunes, happily marveling in the drifting gypsum.  Meanwhile, a biker with a sound system in his chopper rolls away on the unpaved sand-swept road at a stately pace, Dark Side of the Moon carrying through the desert heat, complementing the surreal atmosphere.

Nope.  We got to Moab almost exactly at 9 PM, the end of the day we started in Flagstaff, went to the Grand Canyon, had dinner in Tuba City (in which we saw no brass instruments at all, oddly :rolleyes:).  I think we stayed in the only place in town with a room under $100 a night.  Got up about 8 the next day, head northwest through Price, the SLC complex, over I-84 across Idaho, and then final night-over was in Ontario, OR.

It was after Grand Canyon that we were in travel-fast mode.  We had one place remaining on the list of things to see, and that was really close to home.

6.  The population on the road changes qualitatively about May 1.   Exactly when that occurs I can't say, but right about then the RVers came out of their winter slumbers and infested the roads with large semi-mobile obstacles piloted by timid, not-quite-up-to-the-task drivers and powered by timid, not-quite-up-to-the-task gasoline engines.

Cruiseamerica.com: Purveyors of highway misery on a massivr scale.

8.  My best friend in high school came upon a situation so insanely great it speaks of the man's true brilliance.

When you are a professor in the Food Science department in the agriculture school of a state's land grant university, and you take up the mantle of teaching brewery operations and management, not only do you get free samples from the nearby brewers, but you can write off all your home brewing stuff as business expense.

I am in awe, Stu.

9.  Southern Wyoming is a vast emptiness, and if you have no interest in or knowledge of geology you will be bored spitless as you drive I-80 there.  (If you do have those, there's lots to see and think about.)  I saw a few critters while in the passenger seat (highlight: a pair of sandhill cranes) but otherwise it's rocks and arid high plains and damnear nothing else.  Mine tailings were obviously visible from the road only once that I recall, but I am not an expert.  Once you get within 40 miles of Laramie you start seeing pronghorns in the open, but you're almost out of Wyoming by then.

12.  Those of us who have played Deadlands, or at least have read through that rulebook and the background for its published setting, are quite amused by the existence of a little artists' community adjacent to Colorado Springs named "Manitou Springs".  We kept looking for ghost rock.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

Liquid hydrogen AND hydrofluoric acid on the same trip?!

Some guys have all the luck....

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

If only we could have crashed them together...

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

I tried but you just can't get the staff today.

Yeah, they were even headed in opposite directions, too.  But the collider needs tuning: the two trucks were on paths 1200 km apart in distance and a bit less than two weeks in time.  OTOH, both were on relatively flat, uncluttered terrain, ideal for observation of the event.  Nothing that couldn't be overcome (that's what postdocs and grad students are for), but I didn't have those resources with me.  Maybe I'll write up the proposal.