Help with first character?

Ninja

5 minutes ago, Ninja said:

I like this thank you.  A couple questions, why make DeX 26, there are cutoff points at like 3 and 8 if I'm not mistaken?

Did you only buy 2 dmg classes in martial arts because the martial strike adds 2, so I still end at 12d6?

I was wondering how useful some of the other martial maneuvers are, like nerve strike and choke.   And how that interacts with the dmg classes?

Is it possible to have a power where you can disable a limb or something to incapacitate someone,  sort of like a pressure point strike?

You know it's funny but DEX 26 comes from my old Champions mentor who had the philosophy that lots of people had 25 DEX so take that extra point to go first.  It's actually arguably poor form to to do that because it's really just metagaming.

Yes, I bought 2 DCs so you would still have a 12 die Martial Strike.  Offensive Strike is great but only situationally...Martial Strike should be your go to move unless your opponent is stunned/held or you otherwise have a tactical advantage that would allow you to open up with it.

There's a number of ways to build a power that disables a limb or incapacitates someone...personally, I would go with the Martial Maneuvers "Joint Break" and "Nerve Strike".  You can totally build powers that also do what those moves do as well though but I figure you already have MA, why not expand them?

5 hours ago, sentry0 said:

You know it's funny but DEX 26 comes from my old Champions mentor who had the philosophy that lots of people had 25 DEX so take that extra point to go first.  It's actually arguably poor form to to do that because it's really just metagaming.

Yes, I bought 2 DCs so you would still have a 12 die Martial Strike.  Offensive Strike is great but only situationally...Martial Strike should be your go to move unless your opponent is stunned/held or you otherwise have a tactical advantage that would allow you to open up with it.

There's a number of ways to build a power that disables a limb or incapacitates someone...personally, I would go with the Martial Maneuvers "Joint Break" and "Nerve Strike".  You can totally build powers that also do what those moves do as well though but I figure you already have MA, why not expand them?

I was just curious, if that's true makes sense though, its something I'd probably do.

I dont see joint break in the book.  We only using the basics none of the expanded stuff.

What is the use for nerve strike? I guess you'd use that if they had high resistant defense so a killing attack wouldn't work? What about choke?

Have any ideas to share for simulating disabling strikes? I was thinking something like this. 

One idea was entangle and take the advantage to make it untargetable? Only thing is I have to come up with another way to break it is says? Also could make it effect only arms and legs but would that stop anyone's attacks?

Any other cool ideas for powers? I figure a healing factor in this game is best represented by a high recovery? And maybe a minor regeneration?

I thought about having a katana for a killing attack,  but if I can take MA killing strike probably no need.

Also thought of clinging for climbing.   Maybe some sort of ranged attack deflect.  Just throwing stuff out there.

8 hours ago, Ninja said:

Thanks.  Some good points for sure.  Can you explain how movement speed and endurance work for me? Something else I dont understand. 

Okay, let me take a shot.

First, the SPD score. This number is THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOUR CHARACTER CAN ACT in a 12 second Turn.

The starting value is 2. That means a normal person can do about 2 things in 12 seconds.

If your SPD is 4, you have an action approximately every 3 seconds. If your SPD is 6, you act every other second, etc.

Your action phase is called a "phase." One twelfth of a Turn is called a "Segment." Your SPD determines which Segments you get a Phase on.

Your movement speeds are how fast you Run, Fly, Swim, or whatever, when you move as an action. Normal Running starts at 12 meters. So a "normal person" (i.e. an innocent bystander fleeing the superbattle) moves 12 meters if all they do on their action phase is move.

Many actions you can take, such as most attacks, are actually only "half phase" actions. That means for example you can make a half move and attack. Since attacking always ends your phase, you can NOT attack and then half move ordinarily. (There are exceptions, like Move By and Move Through that let you both full move and attack in same phase.)

Pro tip: By making your Runnng an odd number, like 13, you get the break on the half move because you round up - so your half move would be7.

Here's something that throws a lot of new people - if I make a character with SPD 4 and do not buy Running up or down, so Running stays the same as an ordinary "normal person," I have a character who is TWICE AS FAST as the normal. Each has a Running 12, but my character makes that move of 12 meters TWICE AS OFTEN as the normal and so outruns them.

As for how ENDurance works: you have an END score. That is how much energy you can expend before exhaustion. Most actions you can take have an END cost, including normal Movement and using STRength. So if your STR is 40 and you spend 4 END using it to hit someone, pick up something near your limit, etc. Once you run out of END you CAN keep going, but you lose 1d6 of STUN for each 2 END you would spend. And when you're out of STUN, you are unconscious. So go ahead, knock yourself out!

27 minutes ago, Ninja said:

What is the use for nerve strike?

I've often wondered that myself. I don't recommend buying it.

Lucius Alexander

This message was brought to you by Palindromedary Enterprises

Lucius covered how the movement and SPD work pretty well.  About the only thing I would add on this subject is about REC.  When you get a Recovery you add the amount of your REC stat back to your END and STUN totally up to your maximum of that STAT.  There are two times you can take a recovery.  The first is after segment 12, but before segment 1 of the next turn.  This is referred to as POST 12 Recovery. Normally everybody gets it at the same time without doing anything.  The second is when you take a recovery in combat.  When you do this you drop to 0 DCV so unless no one can attack you this can be dangerous.  So basically how much END you burn over your recovery determines how long you can realistically fight.

From the STAT’s you posted in the beginning of the post you have a STR of 60 which means you use 6 END per segment when using your full STR.  You also had a 20” running which would cost 2 END per segment.  So that means if you used your full STR and running each segment it would cost you 8 END.  You have a SPD of 6 so this would be 48 END per turn.  Your REC is 20 so you use 28 END beyond your post 12 Recovery.  So at the end of the first turn you are down to 32 END, by the end of the second turn you are down to 4 END.  So you start burning stun after the second full turn.  This assumes that you are using both STR and Running at full.  Chances are you won’t use both at full each segment, so will last a little longer.

If we drop your STR to 30 and running to 15 the numbers change significantly.  Now instead of using 48 END per segment you use 24.  If we drop your SPD to 5 this number goes to 20.  This will allow us to reduce the amount of points you spent on REC and END and still allow you to fight as long if not longer.  Say we buy your REC to 15 Instead of 20, and your END to 30.  Now you burn 5pts more END per turn than your REC.  This means it takes you 6 turns to burn through your 30 END instead of going through your 60 in a little over 2 turns.   If you only use your STR and don’t need to use your running you can fight until knocked out.  You originally paid 114 pts for these stats, my way costs 36. 

I can take those points and put them into a martial art and skill levels and will still be able to do the same amount of damage, but also have a lot more flexibility.  31 pts will get me a decent martial art with about 5 maneuvers.  Buy 6 levels with the martial art for another 30 pts and you have spent 97 points. 

7 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Lucius covered how the movement and SPD work pretty well.  About the only thing I would add on this subject is about REC.  When you get a Recovery you add the amount of your REC stat back to your END and STUN totally up to your maximum of that STAT.  There are two times you can take a recovery.  The first is after segment 12, but before segment 1 of the next turn.  This is referred to as POST 12 Recovery. Normally everybody gets it at the same time without doing anything.  The second is when you take a recovery in combat.  When you do this you drop to 0 DCV so unless no one can attack you this can be dangerous.  So basically how much END you burn over your recovery determines how long you can realistically fight.

From the STAT’s you posted in the beginning of the post you have a STR of 60 which means you use 6 END per segment when using your full STR.  You also had a 20” running which would cost 2 END per segment.  So that means if you used your full STR and running each segment it would cost you 8 END.  You have a SPD of 6 so this would be 48 END per turn.  Your REC is 20 so you use 28 END beyond your post 12 Recovery.  So at the end of the first turn you are down to 32 END, by the end of the second turn you are down to 4 END.  So you start burning stun after the second full turn.  This assumes that you are using both STR and Running at full.  Chances are you won’t use both at full each segment, so will last a little longer.

If we drop your STR to 30 and running to 15 the numbers change significantly.  Now instead of using 48 END per segment you use 24.  If we drop your SPD to 5 this number goes to 20.  This will allow us to reduce the amount of points you spent on REC and END and still allow you to fight as long if not longer.  Say we buy your REC to 15 Instead of 20, and your END to 30.  Now you burn 5pts more END per turn than your REC.  This means it takes you 6 turns to burn through your 30 END instead of going through your 60 in a little over 2 turns.   If you only use your STR and don’t need to use your running you can fight until knocked out.  You originally paid 114 pts for these stats, my way costs 36. 

I can take those points and put them into a martial art and skill levels and will still be able to do the same amount of damage, but also have a lot more flexibility.  31 pts will get me a decent martial art with about 5 maneuvers.  Buy 6 levels with the martial art for another 30 pts and you have spent 97 points. 

Two questions.  What determines how much endurance you use for movement? Like what's the formula for run speed into endurance use?

When you say martial arts levels, are you referring to maneuvers? Buying damage classes?  Or something else I'm not thinking of, curious how it goes 6 levels for 30 more points, not understanding. 

Also is using martial throw any good? Throwing people through walls seems fun but I dont know if useful practice.

Also i wont have the points for this. But theoretically I could make a multi power called ninjitsu, then put stuff like climbing, invisibility,  katana attack, deflection ect ect in there, and get them all cheaper as long as I use one at a time?

END use is based on the active points in the power.  The formula is 1 END per 10 points with a minimum of 1.  So for running it cost 1 END for up to 15” of running.  From 16-25” cost 2 END, and so on. 

Martial Arts have two things you purchase directly.  The first are the maneuvers themselves, the second are extra damage for the marital maneuvers.  Maneuvers add flexibility to your character by allowing you to do more things in combat.  Having more options is always a good thing. Throws are a good example of this.  Depending on the situation throwing someone can either be a minor setback for them, or it could ruin what they are trying to do.  Many of the maneuvers are improved versions of standard maneuvers, but other allows you to do things that standard maneuvers cannot.  A martial art allows you to create a fighting style for your character that can be highly effective and unique to your character.

You can also buy combat skill levels with a martial art. Combat skill levels are essentially floating bonuses that you allocate as needed.  You can do three things with a skill level, but only one thing can be done at a time.  You can use a skill level to increase either your OCV, or DCV.  Each skill level give you a +1 to the relevant STAT.  So if you have 6 skill levels they can be dived up in any combination that equal 6.  You could put 3 into DCV, and 3 into OCV, or you could put them all into one or the other.  If you are dodging for example you would put everything into DCV.  You can also use 2 skill levels to increase the damage of your attacks.  So with 6 skill levels you could increase your damage by 3 DC, but that would mean you cannot put anything into OCV or DCV.  Skill levels are incredibly useful and allow you to adapt your fighting style to meet the situation. 

A multipower would be a very good investment for your character.  I would highly recommend you purchase one even if it means you have to sacrifice some of the other things you have purchased.  Reduce some of your stats if you need to.  You could drop also drop the CON to 23, the INT and EGO to 13, PRE to 15, BODY to 13-15 and STUN to 30.  Put a focus limitation on your resistant DEF to reduce the cost and invest the points in a multipower. 

In all honesty your character as it is written in the original post really can’t do all that much.  Your character can basically trade blows with another character.  Who would win is going to depend solely on who is more has better attack or defenses.  This character would not last long in the campaigns I play in, but that is because we all have years of experience with the system and have a good sense of tactics and strategy.

38 minutes ago, Ninja said:

When you say martial arts levels, are you referring to maneuvers? Buying damage classes?  Or something else I'm not thinking of, curious how it goes 6 levels for 30 more points, not understanding. 

I think the reference here is to "Combat Skill Levels." The cost of a Combat Skill Level varies by how many things you can use it with, from 2 pts to get a Level with Martial Block up to 10 pts for a Level with All Combat. If you have enough Martial Maneuvers to constitute a "Large Group" then Combat Skill Levels with all those moves would cost 5 pts, meaning 6

of them cost 30 pts.

So of course you ask, supposing you do buy them what do you do with them? Well, basically a Combat Level gives you a +1 that you can put in either OCV or DCV, and you have the option to change it every phase. So if you are not in hand to hand combat range yet and are closing in on Big Bad Blaster, and your basic DCV is 6, and Blaster's OCV is 10, things look bad for you because BBBlaster subtracts your 6 from 11 to get 5, then adds his 10 to get 15, and hits you on a 15 or less. But then you use Martial Dodge to raise your DCV to 11, and then put levels in DCV to raise that to 17, and now your DCV is 17! Now BBBlaster only hits you on a 4 or less on 3d6!

Now you're close enough to hit BBBlaster. You would like to take him out with your Offensive Strike, but your OCV is 6 and that maneuever has a -2 to OCV and BBBlaster has a DCV of 6 and is now Dodging you, which gives him +3 DCV. That makes your OCV 4 to his DCV of 9, giving you a mere 6 or less to hit. But by putting those Levels on OCV you raise your OCV to 10 and your chance to hit to 12, giving you a very good shot at clobbering BBBlaster.

Once you've clobbered him, you come up against his partner Big Bad Brick. BBBrick really soaks up damage so you want to use Offensive Strike again so you'll want levels on OCV, but you really don't want him to grab you and turn you into a pretzel so you want levels on DCV. By splitting the Levels and putting some on OCV and some on DCV you manage to be both hard to hit and hard to avoid.

38 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Also i wont have the points for this. But theoretically I could make a multi power called ninjitsu, then put stuff like climbing, invisibility,  katana attack, deflection ect ect in there, and get them all cheaper as long as I useone at a time?

Hoo boy. Now you wanna know about Multipowers.

Let's say I want a Multipower I'm going to call "Ninja Tricks and Gadgets." First thing I do is create the Pool. I choose a 60 pt Pool. It costs 60 pts. Now, what do I get for those points?

So far, not much. I blew most of my point budget on other cool Ninja abilities and only had those 60 pts left, so for now they sit on the sheet not going anything. Points in a Multipower Pool don't really do much until they're ALLOCATED to do something specific.

After one adventure I have 1 pt and a determination to improve my ninja so they don't get pushed around so much next time. With permission I apply a Limitation to my Tricks and Gadgets Pool: "Not if both sides have ninja and our side has more" in accordance with the well known Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu (one ninja a powerhouse, a hundred ninja are pathetic minions.) This is a Conditional Limitation worth -1/4. I also take Extra Time: 1 minute (I want to be able to improvise in the field but not suddenly draw a katana out of nowhere in combat) for another -3/4; this Limitation is on the Multipower Pool itself so I have to spend that much time to change the pool from one power to another, but not  every single time I use one of the powers! These Limitations cut the cost of the Pool to 30 so now I have 60 Active Points of potential power, and 31 pts to spend on ways to use that power. Not it's time to buy "slots."

Every "slot" I buy has Active points from 1 up to 60, the max the Pool will allow. The cost is calculated similar to buying the Power outside of the Multipower, BUT (and it's a big BUT) after figuring the Real Cost, the cost is divided by either 5 for a variable slot or 10 for a fixed slot. So for a Multipower you pay a price up front then get a big break on the cost of the Powers that are part of it. Like joining one of those clubs that charge a membership fee but then give you access to goods at steep discount.

Now you're probably asking "What's a variable slot? what's a fixed slot?" I'm getting to that. Remember those Active Points sitting in the Pool like lazy kids on a hot summer day soaking in the water? Once you have bought slots, you can put those points to work. If you have a Variable slot you can put as few or as many points into that slot as you like. If it's a Fixed slot, you have to put either none at all, or the max the slot will hold.

Confused yet?

Let's say my ninja had to fight some dishonorable people who used grenades and flame throwers - weapons that negate the ninja's stratospheric DCV because they don't target the ninja, but the place the ninja happens to be. So I would like a Desolidification ability that protects against Area Effect damage. It might look like this:

Desolidification , Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Only To Protect Against [Area Effect Attack] (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/4) Real Cost: 15

That's if I bought it outside the Multipower. Now, there is no reason to make this a Variable slot: if I put less than the full 50 Active Points into it, the power won't work anyway. So it's a Fixed Slot. I divice the cost, 15, by 10, and only pay 1 (!) points for this ability in the Multipower.

Of course, when I use it, I only have 10 pts left in the Multipower for other tricks.

Say I want another trick that lets me focus my energy to exert more STR than should be humanly possible. Here it is outside the Multipower:

Transcend the Limitations of Mortal Muscles:  (Total: 60 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) +60 STR (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Not if both sides have ninja, and our side has more; -1/4) (Real Cost: 34)

Now this I can make a Variable slot, since I can use less than 60 extra STR. That means it costs 7 pts and I can now use a Martial Throw against a Tank - unless I am already using the Desolidification, in which case I only get a +10 boost to STR.

I could go on buying slots but hopefully this gets the basic ideas across. If not, keep asking questions.

Lucius Alexander

I and my palindromedary might even have answers.

Everyone in this thread had been super helpful.  Thanks so much for the replies.

@Lucius That does clear some stuff up, also still leaves me with more questions, haha.  So that's interesting about multi power, I will have to look into it more.  I'll probably actually have to make a few to understand it.

I really like that desolidification idea,  that's really cool.  Here are some other ideas I came up with quick, not sure what's good or what works:

-Invisibility or chameleon like blending.  Maybe a smoke bomb

-Using duplication to make clones like a mirror image type ability.  Have the images be glass cannons or basically nothing but a distraction. 

-a huge speed boosting ability

- the before mentioned disable, maybe using entangle to accomplish it.  Maybe clinging for climbing and running on walls.

Now having said all this, and it being super fun trying to think of new ninja abilities, I want to make sure I'm staying in the spirit of the campaign and go too far off the deep end of ninja magic, as super tempting as it is for me.

The theme of the campaign is emerging powers, normal people who have developed super human abilities.  That was the source of my original idea for super strength and speed.  I suppose I could always make my power duplication or invisibility or something,  and the enhanced stats are just part of the package.   But I want to stay on theme.

I was thinking of using the generic super soldier template sentry posted earlier in this thread.  It has lower defenses than I originally envisioned, but I can see how it's more balanced.  And it leaves me 40 points to make a multi power.  Probably not enough though.

Also as an aside the reason my original build had mental defense was because I took 23 dmg from a mentalist in one hit first time i played.  I was like yikes.

For a campaign like you described what you could do is to start with a heroic character and then add powers.  Build a heroic level character which would mean 175pts.  Don’t go above normal human maximum for stats, but include all the skills you should have.  Leave out extra damage classes for martial arts.  Essentially create a heroic level ninja.  Make sure to give him any background skills he would have, but no powers.

After the heroic level character is complete add 225 pts of stats and powers to it.  Choose a theme for your powers and try and stick with that. The theme can be as broad or as narrow as you want, but it should be a factor in any stat or power you buy.  For example you could be infused with the power of a mystic creature like a dragon.  That could justify heightened stats and a wind assortment of powers.  For a character like this I would probably look at some Asian mythology.   Maybe one of the four mythic creatures?

Sorry but I have to point out that people on the board are claiming that chararistica Maxima is the maximum for humans. Ever since the term has been used, it’s been a misnomer. NCM is a disadvantage that a normal can take and any characteristic above that value is doubled the cost. I.e if a character has NCM and STR is set at 20 then a character can still buy 25 STR but the 5 points past 20 are now doubled the cost. (Sixth has allowed the GM to change at what value NCM starts at. The benchmarks in fifth have Primary characteristics at 31+ being Superhuman.

A good figure to keep in mind for attacks is the Damage classes/Active Point Limits. Around 12 DC/60 AP is the cap. A usual 400 Point super can do that +4 DC during a Haymaker (wich is a dangerous and hard to hit maneuver).

Bricks get that by having 60 STR (or close to it). Wich translates in 12 DC punches. And also allows stuff like grabs that are hard to break out of.

Blasters have it by having 12 DC Blasts.

Martial Artists get more of their DC from Maneuvers and Martial Arts DC's then raw STR.

You can totally shift a Brick towards Martial Artist. Just take away some STR and replaced it with Martial Arts.

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

A good figure to keep in mind for attacks is the Damage classes/Active Point Limits. Around 12 DC/60 AP is the cap. A usual 400 Point super can do that +4 DC during a Haymaker (wich is a dangerous and hard to hit maneuver).

Bricks get that by having 60 STR (or close to it). Wich translates in 12 DC punches. And also allows stuff like grabs that are hard to break out of.

Blasters have it by having 12 DC Blasts.

Martial Artists get more of their DC from Maneuvers and Martial Arts DC's then raw STR.

You can totally shift a Brick towards Martial Artist. Just take away some STR and replaced it with Martial Arts.

I knew about the 12d6 average for 400 points, think I read it in a forum post somewhere.  I did not think if 60 point power limits, kind of a bummer, lol.  I was thinking up a telekinetic if I ever played again and wanted to buy 60 points of telekinetic strength.  But that kills that idea, haha.

So here's is where I'm at now, basically doing what you and some other people have suggested.

Str 40; Dex 23; Con 25; Int 18; Ego 18; Pre 18; OCV 9; DCV 9; OMCV 1; DMCV 3; Spd 6; PD 10; ED 10; Rec 15; End 50; Body 15; Stun 50; Cost 242

Everyman skills are acting,  climbing,  concealment,  deduction,  language, professional skill, paramedics, persuasion,  shadowing, stealth, vehicles.

Skills: Stealth 3; Analyze fighting style 3; Acrobatics 3; Breakfall 3; Conversation 3; Persuasion 3; Climbing 3; English 4

Martial arts: 2 hth dmg classes 8; Killing strike 4; Martial strike 4; Offensive strike 5; +2 combat skill for all martial arts, large group, 10.

Total skills 56

Powers: Resistant protection 15pd/ed 45; Mentsl defense 10; Extra running 8; Extra leaping 8

Cost: 71

Total points: 369

What I'm considering with the remaining 30 points is buying a multipower.  Or buying more combat skill levels.  Things I would put in multipower are shuriken throws(ranged killing attack using strength), clinging, invisibility,  image projection(like a mirror image), enhanced senses.  If I'm understanding right these things will cost like 1-5 points each after I buy multipower.

Things I wanted but didnt buy: coordinated attack,  more martial maneuvers(martial throw, martial escape, martial grab) more combat skill levels, a bigger multipower pool.

Also wondering if it's better to lower OCV/DCV to 8 and buy 2 more combat skill levels.

Just to throw it out there in also tried to use this as a guide http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/other/creating_hero_characters.html.

Seems to put me at the lower end of defenses and endurance based on that site.

Also im going by the bad guys we fought, their brick was OCV/DCV 9 with 60 strength and like 5 speed.  So when  I originally made the character I was using that as campaign average.  I may be wrong.

What do you guys think? @Lucius @sentry0

3 hours ago, Ninja said:

I did not think if 60 point power limits, kind of a bummer, lol.  I was thinking up a telekinetic if I ever played again and wanted to buy 60 points of telekinetic strength.  But that kills that idea, haha. 

Yes and no.

The limit actually can go up to 80. But 60 is mostly still used, because Strenght "Ranged and does not suffer Damage Shields" is one heck of a usefull power. The last thing that power needs is having a full 60 STR too. 40 STR is quite enough to lock down most non-bricks at range.

If this is about doing 12 DC damage, just buy a "Telekinetic Blast" in the same Multipower.

3 hours ago, Ninja said:

Also im going by the bad guys we fought, their brick was OCV/DCV 9 with 60 strength and like 5 speed.  So when  I originally made the character I was using that as campaign average.  I may be wrong. 

You asume the GM was consitent/not faking the rolls, not using a 600 Point villain, this was not a "I need to challenge the Team" buffed brick and a lot of other stuff. Classical Problems when measuring yourself against the Competition. :)

The real comparision you should go for is the other Teammates. This looks more like a strong Martial Artist now.

31 minutes ago, Christopher said:

You asume the GM was consitent/not faking the rolls, not using a 600 Point villain, this was not a "I need to challenge the Team" buffed brick and a lot of other stuff. Classical Problems when measuring yourself against the Competition. :)

The real comparision you should go for is the other Teammates. This looks more like a strong Martial Artist now.

Not Christopher your assumptions are wrong from the get go. The OP just needs to check with GM on guidelines the GM is using. Is there a hard cap? Or soft cap? If any? How super are the Supers compared to Normals? Does the GM encourage a lot of skills or few (this wasn’t one of your suggestions but still is a bad assumption). Bricks by definition only really need high strength to be  classified as a brick. How high again is based on genre and game play-everything else is secondary.  If the GM/players are ok with a fast brick, there is NO rule against it. The problem with a bunch of advice on this thread is people are. giving advice for the character based on THEIR games/concepts and not based the OPs.

3 hours ago, Ninja said:

I knew about the 12d6 average for 400 points, think I read it in a forum post somewhere.  I did not think if 60 point power limits, kind of a bummer, lol.  I was thinking up a telekinetic if I ever played again and wanted to buy 60 points of telekinetic strength.  But that kills that idea, haha.

So here's is where I'm at now, basically doing what you and some other people have suggested.

Str 40; Dex 23; Con 25; Int 18; Ego 18; Pre 18; OCV 9; DCV 9; OMCV 1; DMCV 3; Spd 6; PD 10; ED 10; Rec 15; End 50; Body 15; Stun 50; Cost 242

Everyman skills are acting,  climbing,  concealment,  deduction,  language, professional skill, paramedics, persuasion,  shadowing, stealth, vehicles.

Skills: Stealth 3; Analyze fighting style 3; Acrobatics 3; Breakfall 3; Conversation 3; Persuasion 3; Climbing 3; English 4

Martial arts: 2 hth dmg classes 8; Killing strike 4; Martial strike 4; Offensive strike 5; +2 combat skill for all martial arts, large group, 10.

Total skills 56

Powers: Resistant protection 15pd/ed 45; Mentsl defense 10; Extra running 8; Extra leaping 8

Total points: 369

What I'm considering with the remaining 30 points is buying a multipower.  Or buying more combat skill levels.  Things I would put in multipower are shuriken throws(ranged killing attack using strength), clinging, invisibility,  image projection(like a mirror image), enhanced senses.  If I'm understanding right these things will cost like 1-5 points each after I buy multipower.

Things I wanted but didnt buy: coordinated attack,  more martial maneuvers(martial throw, martial escape, martial grab) more combat skill levels, a bigger multipower pool.

Also wondering if it's better to lower OCV/DCV to 8 and buy 2 more combat skill levels.

Just to throw it out there in also tried to use this as a guide http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/other/creating_hero_characters.html.

Seems to put me at the lower end of defenses and endurance based on that site.

What do you guys think? @Lucius @sentry0

I think your character looks mechanically fine to me.  The only thing I would question is your Speed...I would double check with your GM and get his campaign average.

You are asking good questions ?

Your marital art needs some adjusting.  The martial strike and offensive strike are very similar maneuvers.  Both give a bonus to DCV and damage.  A better combination would be fast strike and offensive strike.  You use your fast strike on fast hard to hit targets that don’t do a lot of damage.  The offensive strike is used on targets that are easy to hit but soak up damage.  You may also want to include a martial dodge to use vs ranged attacks.  Other maneuvers would also allow you to do more than just hit your target.

Also consider dropping your OCV and DCV by 2 and picking up 4 more skill levels.  This will allow you greater flexibility to adjust to the situation.  That way you can adjust your combat values to adjust to the situation.  For example if you are fighting something that is hard to hit, but does not do much damage you can boost your OCV to be able hit them.  If on the other hand you are fighting something that will do a lot of damage to you, you can boost your DCV to avoid being hit.  If you do like I suggested and pick up a martial dodge you can really pump up your DCV to extremely high levels.    

16 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Your marital art needs some adjusting.  The martial strike and offensive strike are very similar maneuvers.  Both give a bonus to DCV and damage.  A better combination would be fast strike and offensive strike.  You use your fast strike on fast hard to hit targets that don’t do a lot of damage.  The offensive strike is used on targets that are easy to hit but soak up damage.  You may also want to include a martial dodge to use vs ranged attacks.  Other maneuvers would also allow you to do more than just hit your target.

Also consider dropping your OCV and DCV by 2 and picking up 4 more skill levels.  This will allow you greater flexibility to adjust to the situation.  That way you can adjust your combat values to adjust to the situation.  For example if you are fighting something that is hard to hit, but does not do much damage you can boost your OCV to be able hit them.  If on the other hand you are fighting something that will do a lot of damage to you, you can boost your DCV to avoid being hit.  If you do like I suggested and pick up a martial dodge you can really pump up your DCV to extremely high levels.    

Ok so I changed to include martial dodge.  I cannot take fast strike, it’s not in the champions complete book.  How is leg sweep?  It gives +2 ocv.  Can that fill that niche?  What are you opinions on the martial throw/escape/passing attack skills?

Can someone help me understand entangle?  It seems I can use it to represent a limb strike or like a pressure point attack.  Take the cannot be targeted advantage and it’s like being paralyzed.  But how would the other person remove it, I imagine they can’t attack it if their limbs are immobilized.  Then it says I have to list one common way to get out of it.  What would be a normal way to escape a dead limb?

58 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Ok so I changed to include martial dodge.  I cannot take fast strike, it’s not in the champions complete book.  How is leg sweep?  It gives +2 ocv.  Can that fill that niche?  What are you opinions on the martial throw/escape/passing attack skills?

Can someone help me understand entangle?  It seems I can use it to represent a limb strike or like a pressure point attack.  Take the cannot be targeted advantage and it’s like being paralyzed.  But how would the other person remove it, I imagine they can’t attack it if their limbs are immobilized.  Then it says I have to list one common way to get out of it.  What would be a normal way to escape a dead limb?

Could be cleared with a KS: Chinese Healing or other medical type skills.

1 hour ago, sentry0 said:

Could be cleared with a KS: Chinese Healing or other medical type skills.

Sounds perfect thanks, as long as he’s cool with it.  How does it work though? To escape normally?  Is the entangled character able to attack it themselves, even though they are restrained?  If not, does that also mean I can take the no defense limitation?  And they maybe put a time limitation on it to make it more fair?  Say 20 minutes or an hour?

edit for poor reading comprehension.  So apparently the restrained target doesn’t have to roll to hit, so they just get to make a strength damage roll against it each turn?  Until they do enough body damage?  Almost doesn’t seem worth it now, I don’t know if I’ll be able to buy enough body to make it worth it.

if it’s in a multi power, say a 50 point one, the “active power” limit is the points before the limitations?  So I’d only be able to have like 2d6 body, (20 x (1+1 for the cannot be targeted) would make that 40 active points?

2 hours ago, Ninja said:

We actually had a discussion about this exact thematic just 1 quartal ago:

Unfortuantely we could not come up with a definitive answer, only a ton of options.

Ok I think I’m zeroing in on this.  Say I go:

Str 40; Dex 23; Con 25; Int 18; Ego 18; Pre 18; OCV 8; DCV 8; OMCV 1; DMCV 3; Spd 6; PD 10; ED 10; Rec 15; End 50; Body 15; Stun 50; Cost 232

Martial arts: 2 hth dmg classes 8; Killing strike 4; Martial strike 4; Martial dodge 4; +4combat skill for all martial arts, large group, 20; passing strike 5; leg sweep 3; Martial throw 4

Total skills 77

Powers: Resistant protection 15pd/ed 45; Mental defense 10; Extra running 8; Extra leaping 8

Total points: 380

That leaves me 20 points to buy a “Ninjitsu” multipower.  Now if I’m understanding this right, I can use limitations to add more points?  So say I take Restrainable -1/2; that means I can’t switch powers if I’m restrained,  but now I have a 40 point multipower pool.  Then as I gain more CP I can add powers to it for like 1-4 points after I divide the cost by 10?  And if I can think up one more limitation I can get that pool to 60 points?

I might need to change my skills around a bit I don’t know if they fairly reflect a normal persons expertise, I may be cheating.

Also, my Martial arts combat skill levels, +4, they won’t apply if I use an action not in my martial arts, like a normal throw or grab right?

Howd I do?

33 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Oh, also as a curiosity, if I wanted to I could put my increased strength, speed, defenses etc into a unified power, and call it like enhanced mutant physiology, and get back 1/4 points?  

I would run that by your GM first and see what he says.