Blast from the past part. 1

Scott Ruggels

So I have recently completed a move, to a place largr enough to not need storage. So I have bern unpacking many boxes of books. Along with finding all of my old gaming books, I found my character binder.  Inside was the original Hero flyer announcing Champions, and also the character handed to me by either Bruce or Ray, for a game GMed by Steve Peterson an that convention back in 1981. I present it to you in the interests of the historical record. 

675FC73F-4B67-4C27-B7FF-8CCD7C0D7305.jpeg

FAF3A07F-D7AB-4707-A0A0-EE9F836489D5.jpeg

Interesting. There are a couple of odd things on the character sheet. It almost looks like the character wasn't built according to the published rules, but rather according to a slightly earlier draft.

I like the use of the picture from inside the rulebook. The name "Firestorm" is an interesting choice, since DC's Firestorm was a relatively prominent character back in 1981.

Firestorm was in my writing. The name was blank, when I was handed the character. He was a flame elemental, so I thought Firestorm fit. Then one of the other players leaned over and said, “You know there’s a DC character called Firestorm, right?”  Being a Marvel reader at that time, I had been unaware. Still after that first game, I was unaware. 

I don't know what the level of interest is, but I could show a couple of early characters. I also hit a trove of early Hero rule books. No adventures, as I was a player, not a GM, but I seemed to have most ofvthe core books up through Dark Champions. I even found a still boxed and shrink wrapped copy of Justice Inc. 

Okay, since you asked, here is my second Champions character. This is MegaLord from our short lived “Lords of S. T. A. R. “ supergroup. No, I don’t remember what S. T. A. R. Stood for, but ever character was (______) Lord. Mine was the brick, as that was the easiest to build. I am honest about this, I was so math-traded, that until the original Heromaker, I had to have lots of help making them work. Here Bob McCarty helped me with this. 

61519A58-FD97-435C-8A36-5229AE51C2AA.jpeg

The third character, became my main character I was most known for, and that was Sergeant S. M. A. S. H. I played him from the summer we purchased Champions, until I stopped going to gaming conventions. I really enjoyed playing him, and he became something of a tactical genius at the end. Here is I think his first sheet. 

ysDvTJq.jpg

Several years later, in the Early 1990s, these were his stats when published in Aaron Allston’s ‘zine, “Rogues Gallery

https://imgur.com/a/lTqrvZO

Allin all avvery satisfying (to me) to play character. 

3 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

Has there ever been a collected volume of Aaron Allston's Rogue's Gallery AMA?

I have a lot of issues, from around issue 13, to the end. The downside, I have no clearance to republish material other than mine. I do plan to put up my material at some point, but the others, not without written permission. 

57 minutes ago, assault said:

Some very cool art there.

I don't have any 1e character sheets surviving. That's partly because I've never used official character sheets for any game.

We hand edited edited a lot of custom sheets for big super villains, replacing the art spot with more lines for text and powers. I may share those. 

In college , I shifted from Fine Art, to Industrial Design, and loved it. I was still playing Champions with the same group, but I learned new art techniques in college, such as the then, in vogue, Syd Meade style, Marker/colored pencil/ crushed chalk concept rendering, a style made obsolete by the adoption of Photoshop, when the first color Macintosh came on the scene a few years later. 

The character was was kind of forgettable, a flying psychic brick, built wildly inefficiently and played maybe twice, but people would always pause and look at the art when paging through the binder. 

5K445ra.jpg

6R0Lvxa.jpg

3 hours ago, Armory said:

Here's another one from a couple of years later.  This character is still going strong, and although his powers have had an overhaul with each new version, he's still in the same costume!  You just don't mess with a good design.

IMAG0037.JPG

That’s a classic John Byrne costume look! Very 1982. But yeah, never mess with a good design.