Prince

Flock of Seagulls

Men at Work

U2

The Scorpions

Ratt

Cars

Iron Maiden

It was also when I had discovered roleplaying games for the first time even though finding games to actually play in was difficult in my hometown.

I admit I liked the early 80s than I did the late 80s.  By the late 80s, my tastes were leaning away from pop culture and pop music to more retro styles.  I was listening to a lot of late 60s and 70s stuff before they were called classic rock, and I also listened to a lot golden oldies which comprised 50s and early 60s.  It was also when my interests starting to expand to include blues, jazz, and classical.  I will catch myself enjoying late 80s pop and old school hip hop out of sense of nostalgia even though I did not like those musical styles at the time.  By the way, have I ever mentioned that I am huge music lover?

4 hours ago, zslane said:

Are we grading it on how much fun we had, or on how good/bad the cultural milestones of the decade were?

Because I had a relatively fine time in the 1980s, but it was mostly a cultural wasteland as far as I'm concerned.

Mostly the former, but the music I still listen to, and that's culture to me. 

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Are we grading it on how much fun we had, or on how good/bad the cultural milestones of the decade were?

Because I had a relatively fine time in the 1980s, but it was mostly a cultural wasteland as far as I'm concerned.

Yes.

At least, I am.  I don't know about these other folks.  :lol:

I think the city of Berlin might love the 80s more than I do, 

(but I kinda doubt it  :lol:  )

12 hours ago, Starlord said:

No Thompson Twins?  :)

If you look right over there, in the dimmest corner of an otherwise well-lit living room-- right there, just at the end of the couch, you will see a small, square end table.  If you move it out of the corner, you will see the carpet beneath that table.   Notice that lumpy spot that was hidden by the table?  The lumps in the rug?  As if something had been...   swept under it.....?

:D

The music of the 1980s was one of the lowlights for me. There were exceptions, like there are for most things, but for the most part I hated the music of the 1980s. I was glad to see it all get swept away by the Grunge movement (which I didn't especially love per se, but I didn't hate it either, and it was far more tolerable than the punk, New Wave, and pop garbage it replaced).

However, if I was going to be tortured by way of music and got to choose between 1980s pop and today's pop, I'd take 1980s pop all day. Today's pop is barely music. A vocal track, a drum machine, a bass pulse, and maybe some occasional ambient synth sounds in the background pretending to be a string section. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone actually playing a musical instrument in today's studio sessions.