HKA & added Str?

Alibear

Am I reading new rules correctly that there is no limit to how much Str you can add to an HKA?

So if I buy my 1d6 HKA dagger I can add my 60 str and have a 5d6 HKA? Or do I have a 2d6 HKA like previous editions?

Or have I just missed the old rule that you can't add more strength than the base from the weapon?

I guess it makes some kind of sense that Superman, if he had his blood up, could make quite the mess with a sword.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its more work but I've long used a house rule where every multiple of the base damage classes it takes 5 more strength to add more.

So with a 1d6 KA:

5 strength for each DC up to 2d6 (total 15)

10 strength each DC up to 3d6 (total 45)

15 strength up to 4d6 (total 90)

...etc

and so on.  So the Hulk can throw a dagger through a tank, but it takes Hulk to do it.  And the dagger is obliterated by impact.

...unless the dagger is indestructable. Such issues will come up.

Sure but the tank is still dead; it's how HEAT anti-tank missiles work after all. Small piece of metal hits a big piece at a really fast pace, gets really hot, melts a hole in the tank and destroys the lot.

Hulk is just taking the part of the missile and making the little piece of metal really move.

Well aren’t you supposed to define a weakness to something indestructible in Hero system?

The joke aside, I don't recall reading that. Still, I can't see a dull butterknife (1 pip KA) damaging any tank regardless of who threw it, Hulk included.

The joke aside, I don't recall reading that. Still, I can't see a dull butterknife (1 pip KA) damaging any tank regardless of who threw it, Hulk included.

6E1 p.379

"A character must define one way in which other characters can destroy or unmake an Unbreakable Focus. This is usually connected with the Focus’s origin in some way. For instance, many magical Foci are considered Unbreakable, but the person or being who made the Focus could probably destroy it. The GM should be careful with an Unbreakable Focus; if he destroys it, the character should have some way (a quest, perhaps?) to remake it. Of course, Unbreakable Foci can always be stolen, even if they can’t be destroyed"

Still, I can't see a dull butterknife (1 pip KA) damaging any tank regardless of who threw it, Hulk included.

Putting aside comic book physics, its just a matter of enough energy.  The form of the butterknife will be mostly plasma at that point, but its pretty surprising what can happen.

Still, I can't see a dull butterknife (1 pip KA) damaging any tank regardless of who threw it, Hulk included.

There's been reports of straw and grass 3+ inches deep inside trees after a hurricane or strong storm. So don't think a butterknife made of metal would be less harmful than a blade of grass. When there's enough speed, anything is lethal.

Comic book physics apply

"just as a tornado-driven straw can penetrate several feet of solid oak, so can Flash at super-speed penetrate solid walls!"

And why would a butter knife be a KA at all? 1/2d6 KA (with STR) means 5 average hits reduce a grown man to a bleeding-out wreck.

A butter knife masses considerably more than a bullet. Hurled at bullet speeds (probably handle first) it will do a lot of damage. But of course it requires a lot more energy to propel it at the same speed as a bullet in the first place.

Comic book physics don't have anything to do with it, though comic book strength levels might.

But the Real Weapon limitation is there to calm things down. That would apply to Superman hitting things with a sword - if he's using his full strength and causing more than double the base DC of the weapon, the sword takes the full damage it does to the target.

("Real Weapon" should probably not be applied to indestructable foci.)

Oh, and Hulk throwing a butter knife through a tank isn't a HKA anyway. That's a normal thrown object. But if it's indestructable, it may well do full STR damage.

The reason for the rule change in 2nd edition was that in first edition, all you needed was a 1 dice HKA to turn your Strength attack into a Killing Attack.

Why wouldn't a Brick spend 15 points to turn their Strength into a Killing Attack?

OK, given the elimination of figured characteristics, there's a lot less benefit, but still.

6E1 p.379

"A character must define one way in which other characters can destroy or unmake an Unbreakable Focus. This is usually connected with the Focus’s origin in some way. For instance, many magical Foci are considered Unbreakable, but the person or being who made the Focus could probably destroy it. The GM should be careful with an Unbreakable Focus; if he destroys it, the character should have some way (a quest, perhaps?) to remake it. Of course, Unbreakable Foci can always be stolen, even if they can’t be destroyed"

Ah, so there it is. I use only a fraction of 6th ed and ignore most of it. I disagree with this ruling and ignore it as a GM personally but to each their own.

Era, I know about that straw story, and saw a picture of the tree; pretty amazing. I've also seen someone throw wood chopsticks into and through a 1" or 2" concrete wall. Hugh, almost anything, including a butterknife, if used as a weapon can injure people. I won't repeat some incredibly ridiculous but true stories about such things. That aside, I think that this is veering away from the original post.

The rules may allow a little KA to become alot of KA, but I stick with the 'no more than doubling the base KA' rule from a previous edition. The current rule feels like a cheap way to get alot of KA for little points.

Given that I can't add DEX to my Running rate or CON to my Resistant Defense or EGO to my Mind Control, perhaps the question should be, why does STR add to Killing Attacks at all?

Lucius Alexander

I can, and often do, add a palindromedary to my taglines