A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Inspired by @Stanley Teriaca, Heroes in a Hurry, I created a Stretching character named. Mr. Malleable. (Though I kept him at 300 pts.) I just ran a starting adventure where two Robbers try to rob the Andromeda Bar (map from 5th Ed Resource kit). 

I'm glad to be an inspiration. My goal with the project is to keep the villains close to 475 as possible (400 base points + 75 Complication Points). I did have to go off book for a few things (it just wasn't right not to give Winterblade some form of tempture based life support, for example), but I did try to use as much of the book as possible.

37 minutes ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

I'm glad to be an inspiration. My goal with the project is to keep the villains close to 475 as possible (400 base points + 75 Complication Points). I did have to go off book for a few things (it just wasn't right not to give Winterblade some form of tempture based life support, for example), but I did try to use as much of the book as possible.

You do know that the the 75 Matching Complications are for 400 Point Characters. (It’s a little confusing.) But if you WAN them to be 475 pts then by all means do so. Also my wife bought me the book awhile back as a surprise. I should get some use out of it. 

Edited by Ninja-Bear

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

You do know that the the 75 Matching Complications are for 400 Point Characters. (It’s a little confusing.) But if you WAN them to be 475 pts then by all means do so. Also my wife bought me the book awhile back as a surprise. I should get some use out of it. 

I'm so use to how things were done during the Big Blue Book where the Complication points actually mattered that I kept that "starting points + complications" formula. Just assume that when everyone appears they have about 75 points of spent experience. Or feal free to bump powers down by 75 points. I mean once published on the site it is all yours to modify as you wish.

15 minutes ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

I'm so use to how things were done during the Big Blue Book where the Complication points actually mattered that I kept that "starting points + complications" formula. Just assume that when everyone appears they have about 75 points of spent experience. Or feal free to bump powers down by 75 points. I mean once published on the site it is all yours to modify as you wish.

No problem. When they switched to Matching Complications, that confused a lot of people. The idea is (in brief) that instead of loading up characters with a bunch of Disadvantages to make the Point Total, (I’m guilty of that!) take less Disadvantages but take more meaningful ones. Think of it like this. Now the Base Free Points have been increased so as to take less Disadvantages. Now some people say that they had no problem coming up with 150 pts in Disadvantages. And I applaud and are envious of them.

13 minutes ago, Old Man said:

It's easy, I just take my IRL psych lims and define them in Hero terms, and then I take a few out to get down to 150.

Being legally blind since 3rd grade helped me no end in real life.  My eyesight effectively needs an OAF (Breakable).

On 1/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Rich McGee said:

Despite the modern onus that term carries...

I do not like that particular hobby-lingo (i.e., "murderhobo") and the accompanying overall trend of overanalyzing Player Characters in tabletop roleplaying games that usually resulted in more harm than good. There's too much finger-wagging while geeks try to police (if not one-up) other geeks. This "movement" (and even that is somewhat of an imprecise label) has lead to the informal-yet-widely accepted shunning of certain character types that fail to fit within a surprisingly narrow band of criteria and an implication that bringing a bit of the THAY-A-TUH to the table automatically makes the collective experience better. There should be considerable latitude in permissible character archetypes. Look, if everyone is having fun playing peripatetic warriors and rogues who support themselves through acts of violence...why the need for an intervention? Or a scolding? As long as the players are cooperating and all concerned parties can differentiate between reality and fiction, who cares how people find their fun?

Edited by Ragitsu

On 1/8/2024 at 4:39 PM, Stanley Teriaca said:

325 points + up to 75 in complications is not much different than 400 points and 75 points in matching complications.

Either way, you have 400 points and 75 points of complications, or you can have 325 points and no complications.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:19 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

How about Doom Patrol? Since they’re seeking their Doom? Btw, murderhobos just like fingernail on a chalk board. 

I can do Doom Patrol. I was also thinking of Glass Cannons, but maybe I'll use that for a separate party.

7 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The consequences of bringing in so much wealth to the economy:

"I don't see it discussed too often..."

Then you aren't looking very hard, mate.  This horse was beaten to death in by the late 1970s and your video is one of literally hundreds about TTRPG economics on youtube alone.  When you add in all the words written on this subject over almost half a century, you have no new contribution to make by trying to take your freshman economic history course and awkwardly tying it to a fantasy RPG setting.  People were doing the same thing in zines and mags before you were born and it wasn't all that clever then.

I can't decide which I hate more, people who play coy about the fact they're just rehashing an overdone subject, or ones who were so lazy about research that they honestly don't understand that's what they're doing.

If you're any kind of legal or Scandinavian history buff, the last few minutes do have the most hilariously shallow take on Norwegian Frostathing Law I've ever heard, though.  I can hear Magnus Law-Mender spinning in his grave from here.

6 hours ago, Rich McGee said:

"I don't see it discussed too often..."

Then you aren't looking very hard, mate.  This horse was beaten to death in by the late 1970s and your video is one of literally hundreds about TTRPG economics on youtube alone.  When you add in all the words written on this subject over almost half a century, you have no new contribution to make by trying to take your freshman economic history course and awkwardly tying it to a fantasy RPG setting.  People were doing the same thing in zines and mags before you were born and it wasn't all that clever then.

I can't decide which I hate more, people who play coy about the fact they're just rehashing an overdone subject, or ones who were so lazy about research that they honestly don't understand that's what they're doing.

If you're any kind of legal or Scandinavian history buff, the last few minutes do have the most hilariously shallow take on Norwegian Frostathing Law I've ever heard, though.  I can hear Magnus Law-Mender spinning in his grave from here.

I've seen it discussed before, even in Dragon Magazine, but I haven't seen it pop up in play very often, at least not in the groups I played with. Maybe your experience was different.

"I can't decide which I hate more, people who play coy about the fact they're just rehashing an overdone subject, or ones who were so lazy about research that they honestly don't understand that's what they're doing."

Is that a personal swipe at me or the video's author? I don't care for that statement either way.

14 hours ago, tkdguy said:

On a different note, what are your favorite rpg blogs? I occasionally get emails from Johnn Four

https://www.roleplayingtips.com/author/johnn-four/

I haven’t found any one blog to follow. The Alexandrian does have some good articles but sorting through seems to be tough (for me). I enjoyed and agreed to his article on solid rules allow for good rulings.

Earlier today I was watching a video comparing hex tiles and square tiles in board games. Since both types build landscapes with either hexes (ex. Archipelago) or squares (ex. Carcassonne), I got this idea:

1. Play the board games.

2. Take photos of the completed boards after the games.

3. Integrate the photos into your homebrew rpg campaign.