A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

I finally got to playtest an adventure yesterday. The system was Basic Fantasy RPG. I only had two players, so they each had 2 PCs. One had a fighter and a cleric (renamed healer); the other had another fighter and a thief. It was a low-magic scenario, so magic-users didn't exist here (also part of my experiment). All PCs and NPCs were human. The setting was in Central Gondor just before the War of the Ring.

The PCs' mission was to either rescue or at least find information on a squad of soldiers who went missing after pursuing a band of outlaws. Their reward would be doubled if they captured the outlaws. Unknown to the PCs, the outlaw leader was a sorcerer (evil cleric) who was performing a ritual in the crypt of his ancestor. The ritual would give the evil cleric knowledge to blight the surrounding countryside.

Results were mixed. On the negative side, the players took their characters in the opposite direction. The healer and a fighter encountered ghasts and were paralyzed. The other fighter and the thief were able to rescue the healer but left the other fighter to his fate. The survivors decided to leave the dungeon and camp until morning. This allowed the evil cleric to finish his ritual.

On the positive side, the group was able to rescue the sole surviving soldier from wolves, avoiding combat by throwing food to the wolves. The group was also able to track the outlaws to their hideout and report back to the authorities. They also agreed to join an expedition to capture the outlaw band. That will be a separate adventure.

I included riddles taken from various sources. The riddles were found in the crypt on a statue and a set of braziers. The riddles provided a safe path to the main encounter. The players never got to them during the game, but I let them try to solve the riddles afterwards. They succeeded in that task.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, L. Marcus said:

My nostalgia has been tickled. Sweden's oldest RPG, Drakar och demoner, has been released in a new edition by Free League Publishing. It has also been released in English as Dragonbane. DOD was my first RPG, back in '87.

I’ve seen a play through and it looks interesting.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, Cygnia said:

369703533_267393182716782_62551290810951

I totally understand what the creator was going for here; I really do.  However, I wish he had found a shorter, punchier way to lead with the second part, because sometimes I have to be slapped with reminder that there are those who who cannot see the simple fact that people are people.  :(  but leading as it does and with that picture under it, instead of the intended effect, I cant really focus on the second part because the whole thing comes off as a Hillarious riff on "Wu Tang is for the children," and I laugh reflexively, only then to be slapped with a lot of very tiny text to have to absorb while laughing, and the end result is more "You are an awful person for finding humor here" than it is a reminder that we (those who believe humanity means all humans are equally human) believe exactly that, and will support you against the bigotted morons.  Instead, it kind of makes me feel like one of the morons for laughing at something with a classic joke construction.

😕