Galloping Galooper

topcapfan

Originally posted by Eyendasky80

Could someone tell me who/what the Galloping Galooper was? What sort of powers and such? I am not familar with the series.

Under 3rd Edition rules, he was a 268 point character. Enhanced DEX, a sword, Flash Def AVLD EB Enervator Ray, Force Field, Flash grenades, Entangle grenades, Flash Def goggles, Mental Defense (helmet?), and a Running boost from "leg pumpers" (OIF).

And because of all of his gadgets, he took 1d6 electrical damage if splashed with water.

He would require a severe rewrite these days. e.g. his Force Field is bought with 16 Charges.

When the Galooper was introduced in the Champions comic series, I got a kick out of the various rumored origins that he himself had spread: that he had arrived on Earth as a baby in a space ship; that he was a reincarnated Egyptian prince; or that he had been bitten by a radioactive horse. :rolleyes:

Also a nice touch that he would use his great-grandfather's cavalry sword in battle, or at least one of them - his grandfather didn't use them, he made them.

Silly as his name and gimmicks were, though, Dennis Mallonee wrote him as utterly serious, not seeing himself as silly at all. All of those elements made him sort of comic relief, but he was competent enough to not be a total joke character.

Originally posted by Agent X

Just how much bad blood is there between some of the old guard and DOJ?

I'm not sure that there's any bad blood at all between DoJ and Dennis Mallonee - in fact Dennis has posted to these boards a few times. Whatever conflicts might have occurred in the past would have been between Mallonee and the original shepherds of Hero Games: Steve Peterson, George MacDonald et al, although I personally have never heard details. Or perhaps the problems were between DM and Iron Crown Enterprises when they owned Hero. Certainly the ICE era left a bad taste with several Hero creators.

As for Peterson, MacDonald, Glen Thain and other Hero "old guard," Steve Long has mentioned on more than one occasion that they remain in touch and on good terms, and wish DoJ the best of luck. :)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I'm not sure that there's any bad blood at all between DoJ and Dennis Mallonee - in fact Dennis has posted to these boards a few times. Whatever conflicts might have occurred in the past would have been between Mallonee and the original shepherds of Hero Games: Steve Peterson, George MacDonald et al, although I personally have never heard details. Or perhaps the problems were between DM and Iron Crown Enterprises when they owned Hero. Certainly the ICE era left a bad taste with several Hero creators.

As for Peterson, MacDonald, Glen Thain and other Hero "old guard," Steve Long has mentioned on more than one occasion that they remain in touch and on good terms, and wish DoJ the best of luck. :)

I just see people out there with properties of limited value without Hero and a Hero that couldn't hurt itself by reconnecting with many of those past properties.

Originally posted by Agent X

I just see people out there with properties of limited value without Hero and a Hero that couldn't hurt itself by reconnecting with many of those past properties.

I'd buy an "Old Guard NPC book" with Marksman, Flare and the gang, Galooper, the Golden Swordsman, Lenore and all that. It would be nifty. Don't figure it will ever happen, but it would be cool.

• 11 months later...

Re: Galloping Galooper

Andy Robinson created and owns the rights to the Galooper.

The Galooper was a joke. But he was a very serious joke, the point of which was that a hero can be far more than a name.

I should make it clear that Heroic Publishing's policy has always been to make certain rights are vested with their creators. Any characters and concepts used in the comics, both old and new, were and are used with creator permission, and therefore come directly from the source.

As far as we're concerned there's no bad blood between Heroic Publishing and Hero Games. It's just a question of maintaining separate identities.

Re: Galloping Galooper

Wow, I just had flashbacks to the Mark Williams art for Golden Swordsman. The one with his autograph...

Yeah, a nostalgia book would be awesome. I'd love to see some of the old concepts updated...Gargoyle, Goliath, all the heroes from the examples and art early in the books.

hmmm...