Weapons for Dungeon Delvers

freakboy6117

So I've been reading a lot of Lit-Rpg watching a load of Isekai anime and found my self thinking about what weapons would be carried by Dungeon Delvers. The idea that standard medieval arms would be used seems silly because weapons are always adapted to the environment they are used in. 

Bearing that in mind what are the key features of a dungeon.

* Variable terrain you're unlikely to be fighting in a single type of space from narrow to wide open caverns water heights flexibility is key.

*Utility a weapon that only does one thing is just extra weight in situations where it isn't useable.

Attacks can come from any direction dungeons are 3 dimensional battlefields and you need to be able to attack and defend in all directions.

* Variable opponents not just weapons and defenses but size speed and modes of attack a weapon only suitable for human size/strength opponents will limit your responses to larger and smaller enemies a weapon designed for charging beasts will be useless against a horde of goblins.

I'm going to add a few separate posts for historic weapons I think would make sense. 

The Spiked pavise

The version used in this video 

The Spiked pavise

The version 

Seems ideal for a dungeoneer

usable in a tight space the spike gives you a weapon even in a low corridor offers defense and attacks in multiple directions.

Piercing and bludgeoning damage depending opponents vulnerabilities

can be jammed into the ground to set up a defensive emplacement break up enemy formations or allow spell casters and other range weapons users to take cover between attacks. 

The Spiked pavise

The version shad uses in this video seems ideal for a dungeoneer

usable in a tight space the spike gives you a weapon even in a low corridor offers defense and attacks in multiple directions.

Piercing and bludgeoning damage dependinon g opponents vulnerabilities

can be jammed into the ground to set up a defensive emplacement break up enemy formations or allow spell casters and other range weapons users to take cover between attacks. 

That Shield is a good choice.  I saw Goblin Slayer, and their comment about the use of short swords, which seemed to make sense.  I would think that spears, or a medium pole arm that would give people some reach over the front ranks. Anything "flexible" is probably not a good idea.

Due to the excessively small spaces in a dungeon you may also want to look at the smaller type Captain America used in Infinity War.   The “Shuri. Get this man a shield.” version.  It covered mid-bicep to the point extending just past the fist.

I meant Flexible as in Multi Purpose. Although I did have one Flexible weapon in mind and not the bull whip no matter what certain archeologists and vampire hunters might say.

I'm thinking of the The Meteor hammer a heavier version of the Rope Dart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_hammer

https://youtu.be/ElMET8oSyAU

not so much as a weapon although in the right circumstances it is probably very useful for crowd control and it has the ability to be useful at all ranges close up it can be used like a morning star and with enough room to generate momentum it can be extremely dangerous out to 6 meters. 

I think it's main utility is as a tool checking for and setting of traps activating buttons breaking things at a distance.

it can also be used as a grapple both for pulling objects or people to you or for climbing.

By changing the weight you can perform other tasks.

a flaming head can be used to start fires, illuminate an area while you maintain a safe distance or just fight things that are vulnerable to fire.

equally a Thurible/censer full of incense or holy water etc. might be useful against the undead or it could be used to spread poisons/drugs.

its also a easily improvised weapon if you've trained with one you can make one just about anywhere you just need between 3 and 20 ft of cordage and something heavy and no good adventurer goes anywhere without a rope or at least a towel he can turn into one.

4 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Due to the excessively small spaces in a dungeon you may also want to look at the smaller type Captain America used in Infinity War.   The “Shuri. Get this man a shield.” version.  It covered mid-bicep to the point extending just past the fist.

a magic/tech size changing one would be even better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7B2SsJOAx0

It could also be improved by adding a lantern/glow stone etc. like a less extremes version of the lantern shields https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnqhj3qx-A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_shield

and thinking about Africa The short Iklawa version of the assegai spear used by Shaka Zulu would be ideal cuts stabs can be thrown in a pinch more useable in a tight space than even a gladius style short sword with a bit more range you could even add combined with the heavy club and the small buckler style of Nguni shield used in traditional stick fighting you've got a pretty solid selection of tools for any dungeon fight. https://www.militaria-history.co.uk/articles/weapons-of-the-zulu.

Roman Legionary gear which was similar in concept could work too while a full size Scutum is going to be unwieldy in together dungeons it would be an excellent defense in a tighter space or the smaller 3ft circumference Parma would be more a maneuverable but reduce coverage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_(shield). the gladius is idea short enough to use anywhere robust and useable both for stabbing and chopping the Plumbatae (lead weighted throwing darts) carried attached to the shield area simple range weapon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_(shield) and Lorica armor is a good compromise in terms of mobility and defense.

Most of my dungeon crawling campaigns have been short on TNT.

For me personally, a spiked buckler (handgrip only) and a short thrusting spear or gladius would be the best combination, since we have to assume we'd be working in close quarters most of the time.  A long chain or rope weapon would be useful but almost more as a tool than for fighting.  Lastly a small, hopefully repeating, crossbow would round out the set for those occasions where a ranged attack is desirable.

In general I'd be inclined to stay away from swinging weapons, again because of close quarters.  The one exception would be a good axe, for unlocking doors and chests.

I would have to disagree with the spiked pavise as an ideal shield for delving. The idea that you're going to be able to shove it into the ground for a defensive barricade assumes that you have soft ground to shove it into. I have my doubts about the ground ever being much beyond solid rock. Additionally, if you do find a place to stick it in, your archers/casters will only gain marginal benefit, as they would need to go to a full standing position to fire past your front rank. Better for the shield guy to just use the shield themselves and be the arrow sponge. Better to go with a more traditional kite shield with a sideways strap. You get the top to bottom coverage your back ranks need, it's more difficult for it to be pushed passed, and you could still open slightly to provide more target area to those behind when commanded.

I'll have to think some more about weaponry, but it does beg the question, are you kitting out for solo or building a party to go with?