2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

53 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Original USFL ex-owners file lawsuit aimed at new USFL, potentially halting start of spring football league

I have to say, I find the timing interesting. The (new) USFL rolled out their uniforms and held a talent draft in the past couple of weeks, and the old owners are just now taking action? The return of the USFL has been in the works or well over a year, IIRC. Why now?

Maximum disruption/extortion value.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Original USFL ex-owners file lawsuit aimed at new USFL, potentially halting start of spring football league

I have to say, I find the timing interesting. The (new) USFL rolled out their uniforms and held a talent draft in the past couple of weeks, and the old owners are just now taking action? The return of the USFL has been in the works or well over a year, IIRC. Why now?

That link didn't work for me but this one did https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/original-usfl-ex-owners-file-lawsuit-aimed-at-new-usfl-potentially-halting-start-of-spring-football-league/

By waiting until it's so close that the new USFL might lose money by not starting on schedule, it increases the pressure on them to throw money at the problem and settle immediately rather than go to court.

At least, that's my take on it.

And the original USFL owners definitely have a case, in my opinion, since the new league uses the same names and logos as the old teams.

29 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

And he is not popular?

Patrick Mahomes is one of the most covered athletes in the US and seems like a genuine, likeable fellow.  His younger brother Jackson, however, appears to be a disrespectful, spoiled goofball.  He gets noticed because Patrick seems to bring him everywhere he goes.

31 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Patrick Mahomes is one of the most covered athletes in the US and seems like a genuine, likeable fellow.  His younger brother Jackson, however, appears to be a disrespectful, spoiled goofball.  He gets noticed because Patrick seems to bring him everywhere he goes.

Is Jackson an athlete hoping to stick professionally, or is he just a hanger-on making a living off his brother's glory? And does Patrick realize what is going on?

7 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Rodgers beating out AB and Belichik combined. That's almost impressive. 

Because Rodgers made it political.  Brown might've gotten more but his diva move didn't last long.  But Rodgers...how many of us here went from ambivalent or mildly negative (he's always been an arrogant <bleep> to me) to *massively* hostile?  Can't remember if we vented here or the Coronavirus thread...or both...but his mentions went WAYYYYY up, and I don't think any of em were positive.  Belichick's is, I think, just long-term dislike of his style and team.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was closest to a steady-state rate.

Oh, and we can't forget that Rodgers was yanking the Packers around for the first half of the year.  That in itself might've generated as many negative tweets as, let's say, Beckham.

I was afraid something like this would happen once sports betting was normalized: Falcons wideout Calvin Reipley has been suspended for betting on NFL games.

Still, there are several things missing. Did he place legal wagers at a licensed sports book? Were any of them on his own team to lose? How were the events uncovered.

Now that all the major leagues have accepted sponsorships from legal sports books like that at Draft Kings, I wonder if they really have moral grounds to punish players, coahes, etc. for performing a legal activity in a legal way. Iy's like the NBA's stance about Cannabis: there are a lot of places where it is perfectly legal, and the stuff is apparently really good at pain control, so  it is an open secret that a lot of NBA players are on it. Then why does the league even bother to note positive test, much less act punitively?

Betting in these times is sort of like that. Illicit betting has always been a part of American sports, while legal bookmakers are a staple of European working-class culture. Now Americans outside Nevada can legally bet on football (and everything else) online or in their own state. Previously, they had to go to Nevada to do it legally. Super Bowl weekend was a huge attraction in Vegas in those times -- I don't know whether it still is now). If that is the case, than Ridley's sin was betting on football regardless of which team he bet in favor of. If he bet on his own team to lose, the suspension will only be the beginning of his problems. Strill, he weas on the Injurted List at the time, so he had no power to influence the outcome.

So Ridley basically did what just about everybody does these days, and is being crucified for it because he plays in the NFL.

29 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I was afraid something like this would happen once sports betting was normalized: Falcons wideout Calvin Reipley has been suspended for betting on NFL games.

Still, there are several things missing. Did he place legal wagers at a licensed sports book? Were any of them on his own team to lose? How were the events uncovered.

Now that all the major leagues have accepted sponsorships from legal sports books like that at Draft Kings, I wonder if they really have moral grounds to punish players, coahes, etc. for performing a legal activity in a legal way. Iy's like the NBA's stance about Cannabis: there are a lot of places where it is perfectly legal, and the stuff is apparently really good at pain control, so  it is an open secret that a lot of NBA players are on it. Then why does the league even bother to note positive test, much less act punitively?

Betting in these times is sort of like that. Illicit betting has always been a part of American sports, while legal bookmakers are a staple of European working-class culture. Now Americans outside Nevada can legally bet on football (and everything else) online or in their own state. Previously, they had to go to Nevada to do it legally. Super Bowl weekend was a huge attraction in Vegas in those times -- I don't know whether it still is now). If that is the case, than Ridley's sin was betting on football regardless of which team he bet in favor of. If he bet on his own team to lose, the suspension will only be the beginning of his problems. Strill, he weas on the Injurted List at the time, so he had no power to influence the outcome.

So Ridley basically did what just about everybody does these days, and is being crucified for it because he plays in the NFL.

Absolutely.

There's a rule:  Thou Shalt Not Bet On NFL Games.

End of statement.

It doesn't matter who else does it, he broke the rule.

It has nothing to do with the acceptability of betting, and everything to do with the perception of potential cheating or using insider information...competitive balance.  

It doesn't matter what the bets were, either.  It's being reported he wasn't using insider knowledge, such as from coaches...at least per se.  BUT he was privy to a great deal of inside information, much of which was current when he placed those bets.

He gets no sympathy from me.

I don't like the connections between all the leagues and the various gambling sites, but the reality is:  gambling exists.  People love it.  Fox Sports, CBS Sports Network, and ESPN all carry betting shows daily.  Acting like that doesn't exist is sticking your head into the sand.  IMO:  any player who can't realize the critical nature of even *potential* impropriety, given the strong interest, is a fool, and deserves what he got.  I think the 1 year was because Ridley was inactive at the time, and had no contact with the coaches, so it should only be a matter of appearances.

In other NFL news, yes indeed, Crybaby Rodgers looks to be getting exactly what he's wanted.  He's taken his sweet time, so now the Packers apparently are coming out with a "market changing" deal.  

I know people like to think of athletes are selfish, but the Ridley case is a bit more complex. He left the team after five games due to a mental health issue (what sort of issues is a big fat None Of Your Business) and was taking time away from football. Now he gets more time away, albeit without earning the $11M+ they would have owed him for the 2022 season — which will roll over to 2023 if he comes back.

Which, after a season-long suspension, is a big if. He has a year now to work on his issues and get on with his life, and if he finds something he thinks is better or more important than football more power to him. He's already made enough money to last a lifetime if properly managed. Since the suspension is "indefinite", the NFL could delay his return as long as they wished.

His own situation is complicated, and this was no entitled idot.

ESPN and CBS Sports both reporting that Russell Wilson is going to the Denver Broncos, pending a physical and Wilson waiving his no-trade clause.

The trade reportedly includes Drew Lock going to Seattle with numerous draft picks. Full details have not yet been disclosed.

As for me, I'm just relieved that we can stop talking about Rodgers.

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

ESPN and CBS Sports both reporting that Russell Wilson is going to the Denver Broncos, pending a physical and Wilson waiving his no-trade clause.

Wow, that might almost make the Broncos into a decent football team.

edit: Two firsts and two seconds?  Broncos better win the ship this year.

19 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Two firsts and two seconds?  Broncos better win the ship this year.

The conventional wisdom was that would take three firsts to get Rodgers, so this is a little better on that score. The really costly bit, in my mind, is that Denver is losing Noah Fant and Shelby Harris. That's a lot of talent to give up. But I get it. 

Interesting thought: If Wilson were to lead Denver to the title, he'd be the first quarterback to lead a team he'd previously beaten in the Super Bowl to a championship.