2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

One could say he pulled the Ruggs out from under his own career.

Not his career, his entire life.  Which is why I've always felt bad for the idiots doing these things.  Or angry, or maybe just jealous?  Here kid, you've got it *all*.  Then one piece of stupid, and it's all gone.  Camelot, meet Mordred...by looking in a mirror.  Ugh.  

Rodgers, OTOH, I feel nothing but revulsion.

Funny, I was just thinking that if any team was suddenly in the market for a wide receiver and willing to take a chance on someone risky like Odell Beckham Jr., it would probably be the Raiders.

Then again, as batguano crazy as things have gotten in Jacksonville this year, I wouldn't rule that out either.

NFL sends clubs initial list of vetted minority head coaching candidates it would endorse for 2022 openings

The Vic Fangio experiment in Denver simply hasn't worked. Eric Bienemy has long been worthy of a head coaching job. He played his college ball in Boulder. And by landing him, the Broncos would take him away from a division rival.

George Paton, if you're reading, get this done.

43 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Funny, I was just thinking that if any team was suddenly in the market for a wide receiver and willing to take a chance on someone risky like Odell Beckham Jr., it would probably be the Raiders.

Raiders supposedly topped the list of potential landing spots based on cap space and the loss of Ruggs.  However OBJ is on record as saying he wants to play for a contender and I'm pretty sure the Raiders do not fit that description.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I'm watching the Broncos/Cowboys game and I'm not sure which is more astonishing to me: the fact that Denver seems to be playing better than Dallas right now, or the amount of orange I'm seeing in the stands.

Yeah, and how poorly Dallas is playing.  Well, that's a plus in my book.

I've read that the Cowboys' pricing...the seat licenses are *expensive* before you even get into game tickets...drove out their long-term fans weveral years aog, and generally, they don't have much of a home-field advantage.  Still, I can't offhand recall hearing this many cheers for the other team.

Dallas offense is non-existent, that's the #1 shock.  It feels like, OK, Miller's gone for the Broncos, we'll just roll through them.  But they've been totally punchless.

GOD...the replay procedures are a bloody abomination.

Bridgewater to Patrick on a 1st and long after a holding penalty.  Patrick gets his hands on the ball, it looks to have been stripped.  Patrick goes down poorly ;  trainers have to be called.  Network cuts to commercial.  So, come back.  Broncos line up, just about SNAP the ball...THEN DENVER!!! challenges the catch.  

#1:  WHY THE HECK was the challenge allowed THAT LATE??  Yeah, fine, the rule is "until the next snap" but allowing that much time is ridiculous.

#2:  WHY THE HECK did it take Fangio SO BLOODY LONG to call for it?  Oh...it's Fangio.  I'm not exactly impressed, on several levels.

Broncos lost the challenge.  Pretty sure they're still gonna win the game.  Cowboys desperately!!! need a stop down 19 as the third quarter winds down.  Broncos are backed up, 2nd and 17 on their 8.  16 yards, then 3 more to punch out a 1st down, then 2 more runs for another first down and run out the third quarter.

Any day you can beat the Dallas Cowboys is a good day.

Incidentally, with this win, the Broncos extend their ridiculously long win streak against the cowboys. Denver hasn't lost to Dallas since 1995. The starting quarterbacks in that game were Troy Aikman and John Elway.

Falcons over Saints.

Jaguars over Bills.

Broncos over Cowboys.

Giants over Raiders.

Combined with all the bizarre outcomes from yesterday's college football games, it makes me wonder if somebody has finally gone and broken the Space-time continuum.

To a degree you could also put Giants over Raiders in there, but a) the Raiders have been erratic this season, and b) obviously, losing Ruggs can't help.

Some things haven't changed.  Sam Darnold' showing his Jets performance wasn't the Jets' fault.  (Esiason *ripped* him in the postgame.  The Texans are still full throttle for the #1 draft pick, and I think they have the inside track to themselves now.  The Chiefs' offense is still misfiring way, way too much.  Bengals are still erratic.

Okay, what's the deal with running a play from the shotgun on 4th and inches? I see it all the time. Are today's offensive coordinators so adverse to putting a quarterback under center that they won't go for the quarterback sneak on 4th and inches, even though it'll work 90% of the time?

Because most teams don't run the ball well enough, probably.  But yeah, play calling is pretty weird to me sometimes too.

A somewhat strange one was Chargers vs. Eagles.  1:45 left, score tied, Chargers have the ball 4th and 1 at the Eagle 28.  They go for the first down.  OK, a 45 yard FG is nowhere close to automatic but it's odds-on, or should be.  They made the first down and ended up with a chip shot FG on the last real play of the game, but I'm not at all sure that was the right course of action.

Reports on Rodgers.  League's investigating protocol violations by Rodgers, and Packers' failure to force compliance.  However, ONLY fines are on the table at this point.  No suspensions, no loss of draft picks.  If the violations recur once Rodgers comes back, tho...different story.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Dallas offense is non-existent, that's the #1 shock.  It feels like, OK, Miller's gone for the Broncos, we'll just roll through them.  But they've been totally punchless.

What came out of today drives my brother crazy. after trailing 27-0 or 30-0 with half a quarter left in game, Prescott leads 2 drives to scores. So instead of the pathetic stats he had for 3 and a 1/2 quarters, he got a lot of yards when you know Denver is basically playing prevent. Now, in a few weeks, people will only look at the score and claim, well, wasn't Dak's fault, he had a decent game.

8 minutes ago, slikmar said:

What came out of today drives my brother crazy. after trailing 27-0 or 30-0 with half a quarter left in game, Prescott leads 2 drives to scores. So instead of the pathetic stats he had for 3 and a 1/2 quarters, he got a lot of yards when you know Denver is basically playing prevent. Now, in a few weeks, people will only look at the score and claim, well, wasn't Dak's fault, he had a decent game.

Not if they read the stat line.  Before then, OK it was completely putrid...but it was still awful.  19/39 for 232.  QBR under 25, rating under 75.

That said, yeah, stats lie regularly.  The raw cumulative numbers like total yards passing are particularly egregious.  24 for 50 for 320 yards is terrible...but it'll be listed and praised as a 300 yard passing performance.  Total yards is like points scored in basketball...oh great he had a 40 point night, but he shot 14 for 39 and had 9 turnovers and no assists.  Translation, he hogged the ball.  A lot of it is the media hype train;  every national broadcast and every national broadcaster/analyst is part of their league's PR department.  Everyone's brilliant, everyone's "one of the best we have in this league."  Criticism is VERY rare, and almost always nuanced...oh, Dak really had a poor game.  With the clear subtext of, this was an aberration.

Yeah, I hear ya man......