2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

What's scary is, I can't argue with his opinions very much.  MAYBE there'll be a surprise in the NFC and one of the teams mentioned gets in...not like the Vikes and Saints are so much better that it's a loss.  But still, even before we hit the halfway mark, there's at least 6 teams (WFT, Eagles, Giants, Lions, Seahawks, Niners) that have no shot.  And the AFC teams.......

The only 'drama' with these guys is when the coaching carousel gets kickstarted.  And who's on it...Pete Carroll, perhaps?  Seahawks have been sliding for a couple seasons.  I don't really think he'll be fired during the season, tho.  Not paying close enough attention to say who'll get canned during the year, but I expect at least one in the next, say, 3-4 weeks.

I don't know if Pete is on the burner or not.  The dealings of the front office are pretty opaque.  There's also the issue that the team ownership is entirely impersonal: it's the Paul Allen estate, and that mechanism makes for approximately no information about what's being thought in the places that matter most.

42 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I don't know if Pete is on the burner or not.  The dealings of the front office are pretty opaque.  There's also the issue that the team ownership is entirely impersonal: it's the Paul Allen estate, and that mechanism makes for approximately no information about what's being thought in the places that matter most.

So what you're saying is, there's no evidence that thought is taking place?

12 minutes ago, Old Man said:

So what you're saying is, there's no evidence that thought is taking place?

It's taking place, but...

Allen's estimated worth was $20 BILLION or so when he died.  So anything and everything, even if it might seem innocuous, gets reviewed internally by 5 lawyers...then vetted by the PR department...before going through Legal again, just in case.  So every decision seems to move at the pace of an NFL (or NCAA) investigation.

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

What's scary is, I can't argue with his opinions very much.  MAYBE there'll be a surprise in the NFC and one of the teams mentioned gets in...not like the Vikes and Saints are so much better that it's a loss.  But still, even before we hit the halfway mark, there's at least 6 teams (WFT, Eagles, Giants, Lions, Seahawks, Niners) that have no shot.  And the AFC teams.......

The only 'drama' with these guys is when the coaching carousel gets kickstarted.  And who's on it...Pete Carroll, perhaps?  Seahawks have been sliding for a couple seasons.  I don't really think he'll be fired during the season, tho.  Not paying close enough attention to say who'll get canned during the year, but I expect at least one in the next, say, 3-4 weeks.

As it was pointed out a few days ago on ESPN, while the Seahawks have slipped from their Super Bowl years, they've won 10, 11 and 12 games in their last 3 years. Yeah you can say that Russell Wilson has been covering all the holes but you don't fire a coach with that record when the franchise QB is down. There'd have to a lot of off the field issues to even consider it.

The $64,000 question of the week...

How the HECK did 7-0 vs. 6-1 end up on Thursday Night Football???

This is a very plausible conference championship caliber matchup...but with the NFC, hey, it could happen in any round.  Green Bay's a strong favorite to win their division, second only to the Cowboys in that regard.  (After 7 games, the Cowboys have a 4 game lead???  Unheard of.)  Arizona has the Rams chasing them...this could be like the National League West this year, or going back to the mid-2000's with Manning's Colts, where 12-4 couldn't win the division a couple of those years.  Or possibly not;  the Rams have more challenges remaining, with games against the Titans, also the Packers, Vikings, and Ravens.  Plus round 2 with the Cards.  Cards' schedule is very soft after tonight...Niners, Panthers, Seahawks twice, Bears.  They do have the Cowboys in a game that *could* be for the #1 seed, and the Colts aren't awful.

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It's taking place, but...

Allen's estimated worth was $20 BILLION or so when he died.  So anything and everything, even if it might seem innocuous, gets reviewed internally by 5 lawyers...then vetted by the PR department...before going through Legal again, just in case.  So every decision seems to move at the pace of an NFL (or NCAA) investigation.

Allen was the one who didn't even have a will, right?  Man, the lawyers over there must be making bank.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Allen was the one who didn't even have a will, right?  Man, the lawyers over there must be making bank.

He had a will;  his wife is principal heir and sole trustee.  It's just that an estate this large is insanely complicated, and the goal is to donate MOST of it.  Easier said than done.  

41 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

He had a will;  his wife is principal heir and sole trustee.  It's just that an estate this large is insanely complicated, and the goal is to donate MOST of it.  Easier said than done.  

How hard is it to cut me a check?  Or if she wants to wire me the money I can send her my account info.

Utah's clearly not considered as Bronco country.  And, heck, I'd bet the fans in Denver would rather watch a real game than this awful matchup.  It's a real problem when the bottom third or so of the league is simply not competitive;  we get soooo many toilet bowl games.

The fact that the alternative is Bucs-Saints isn't Fox's fault per se.  The 5 other games on Fox are *all* awful.

Call your local station. If enough people in their market clamor for a certain team then they can show it. As long as it's decided in advance and there are no mandated blackout issues, the stations do have a choice in the games shown. That "Check local listings for the games in your area" disclaimer really does mean something.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Embarrassed at blowing their string last week, Urban "Oscar Wiener" Meyer's crew begins a new one with style, putting up a clean slate.

The Squawks' eyes lit up with that telltale glow, "At last!  Someone we can beat!"

Yah, same with the Eagles.  How can a team lose 44-6 to a team that came in 2-5???  Oh, it was the Lions.

And wow...the Killer Bees got hit by a frost.  Bucs, Bengals, Browns allll fall in upsets.  But we still have 4 one-loss teams in the NFC, if Dallas doesn't follow suit.  (Haven't heard if Dak is playing.)  Browns' offense got battered;  it was pointed out that the Bengals got caught in the trap game.  Baltimore last week, Cleveland next week.  Jets is a quasi-bye, right?  OOPS.  AFC's middle is very mushy now...8 teams between 5-3 and 3-5.  Still several of em I don't believe it, but the illusion of depth is there....