2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Once again, a Raider is in the news.  Looks like mandatory jail time, which is well deserved.

Ehh, this isn't a Raiders issue for once.

https://riduiguy.com/10-nfl-players-charged-with-dui/

It's a young, rich, and stupid problem.

Once he's formally arraigned and charged...might not take very long...he's gone from the team.  With a fatality involved, he's going to be on the exempt list as fast as the paperwork can be completed.

Oh, and to plie onto the Oscar Meyer bandwagon:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/11/jaguars-urban-meyer-new-low?itm_source=parsely-api

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

For perspective, Ruggs was the 12th overall draft pick in 2020. His contract included a $9M signing bonus and an annual salary of $1.5M. 

And he was out driving a Vette at 3:30 in the morning.  Reportedly at high speed in a residential area.

Young, rich, and stupid.

And cut by the Raiders last night.  They didn't even wait for the exempt list.  Sportrac is showing his contract numbers with "these figure assume that future guaranteed salaries have been voided (conduct)" as a qualifier, so the Raiders clearly feel they've got enough grounds to sustain voiding his contract and saving at least some money.  

And yes, he's looking at jail time.  Conviction on the major charge (DUI leading to death) is 2-20 years, and probation is not permitted (per ESPN story).

And.......unvaccinated Aaron Rodgers tests positive.  Unvax'd protocol means he won't be allowed to play against the Chiefs.  What looked like the marquee game of the week is now rather lackluster.

Hey, Mr. P!  Your Broncos are gonna be on Fox...Sunday early game for most of the western US.

Of course, they're 10 point dogs so it might not be very pretty for em.....

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Only 10 points? Hmm, the bookmakers are feeling generous this week, it seems.

The Fanduel recommendation was take the Boys and give the points.  And posited whether the Broncos might already have checked out for the season, as a consequence of the Miller trade.  That *screams* "our season's done, we're bailing, start the rebuild" and yeah....even this early, there feels like a real chance that'll happen.  If Dak's feeling good and can play the whole game, it feels like this might make the Pats-Jets game look like a contest.  

This is turning into a potentially bizarre week, with the Raiders, Broncos, and now Packers losing players in the manner they've been lost.  And Tennessee with a key injury.  

And yes, the report on Rodgers on ESPN says:

The NFL has considered Rodgers as unvaccinated since the start of the season, sources confirmed to ESPN and first reported by NFL Network.

Which means a full 10 day quarantine.  He can't come back any earlier than the 13th...so his status for the game against the Seahawks on the 14th is no better than Rusty and Ill-Prepared.  Yeah, if you're a Packer fan, not being vaccinated is a big disappointment.  I'm neutral...and, I'll grant, NOT a fan of Rodgers...but my feeling is, it's his own selfish fault.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And he was out driving a Vette at 3:30 in the morning.  Reportedly at high speed in a residential area.

Young, rich, and stupid.

And cut by the Raiders last night.  They didn't even wait for the exempt list.  Sportrac is showing his contract numbers with "these figure assume that future guaranteed salaries have been voided (conduct)" as a qualifier, so the Raiders clearly feel they've got enough grounds to sustain voiding his contract and saving at least some money.  

And yes, he's looking at jail time.  Conviction on the major charge (DUI leading to death) is 2-20 years, and probation is not permitted (per ESPN story).

https://news3lv.com/news/local/former-raider-henry-ruggs-iii-court-appearance-deadly-crash-arrest-report

According to an arrest report, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police analyzed the airbag control module from Ruggs' Corvette and determined the car was moving at 156 mph 2.5 seconds before the crash, "prior to algorithm enabled." It was recorded at 127 mph "at time zero," the moment of the crash.

A traffic officer "administered standardized field sobriety tests to [Ruggs], which he refused," the report states.

He was taken to UMC to receive treatment for his injuries and a blood draw was taken. Prosecutors said at Wednesday's court appearance that Ruggs had a blood-alcohol content of .161, twice the legal limit.

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Oh god, this just keeps getting worse. Aaron Rogers didn't get vaccinated because homeopathy!  😲

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/aaron-rodgers-tests-positive-for-covid-following-homeopathic-treatment-1272707

From his own personal doctor.
That brings up several questions I'd love to have answered, but really are none of my business.  The one potentially visible aspect:  will Rodgers now change personal/family physicians?  

My, my, and there are more shenanigans.  OBJ Sr is hating on Mayfield, saying Mayfield is hating on OBJ Jr, and ESPN is saying Jr may well never play for the Browns again.  Which means they'd have to release him, because the trade deadline was yesterday.

Sounds like that situation is just one giant <bleep>.  And...ya know...when this seems to happen twice?  That makes me think the root problem is Beckham.

Just pointed out on ESPN bottom line...Rodgers' suspension has totally shifted the lines on the Chiefs game.  Pack was a 1 point road favorite after that shoddy Monday night performance;  they're now 7.5 point dogs.  Over-under went from 55 to 48.5.  Other fun fact on the lines...the 1-7 Fins are 6.5 point favorites over the 1-7 Texans.  That's a big spread for the NFL...so for a 1-7 team to be that much of a favorite, that opponent has to be really, really, REALLY bad.  Consider:  the Bills are 14 point favorites against the Jags...and that's one of the best versus one of the worst.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

I cannot express how disappointed I am to find out one of my favorite QBs is a moron. 

Homeopathy... ivermectin... He consulted with Joe freaking Rogan! 

Yeah the Joe Rogan part is when I busted out laughing.  To hell with science and medical professionals, imma get my medical advice and horse paste from a shock jock.  And he totally didn't lie when he lied to the media.  And he totally followed all the protocols except the ones he didn't follow.  And it's okay if he drives drunk because everyone else has a seat belt.  Oh wait that's the Raiders.  Or is it?

And how do we think the league is going to respond?

Rodgers broke the rules of conduct for unmasked players.  Willfully, and for *months*.  A question also arises:  the league never considered him vaccinated...not from day 1.  Yet they did NOTHING for months even tho he clearly was breaking the rules.

My god, what does this sound like?  I'm hearing echoes of the Black Hawk fiasco...doing nothing so as to avoid upsetting the apple cart during the season.

I don't like Rodgers.  I'll say that right out.  But what he did deserves a 1 year suspension, IMO.  The NFL cannot tolerate what he did, or they are throwing their own policies away.

A brief aside to check in on the Raiders, or at least one former Raider:

Authorities found a loaded gun in Ruggs' car after he killed an innocent 23-year-old woman by driving under the influence on Tuesday. Ruggs is reportedly facing up to 46 years in prison after being charged with DUI resulting in death, DUI resulting in substantial bodily harm, reckless driving, and now this firearms charge.

One could say he pulled the Ruggs out from under his own career.

Now, back to the other selfish NFL player...

If the prosecutor's throwing all of those charges out onto the table, it makes me think 

a)  he's not even thinking about a deal, and 

b)  that the circumstances are exceptionally aggravating

As for Rodgers, far as I'm concerned if he never played another down in the NFL, I'd be happy.

Good point about the State Farm ads.  According to a story in Ad Age from yesterday, State Farm hasn't decided.  That said, that might be before the interview came out, and what he's been doing became clear.  They did say, you won't see his ads, but SF says it's because they're pushing a new theme using Terry Bradshaw.