2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

You joke, but that is the owner's long term plan. It's why they play games  in London at all. 

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

... Why?

59 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Not sure, but he's been courting the idea for years. 

Jacksonville is one of the NFL's smaller markets, but the expenses and difficulties of basing anNFL team in London boggle my mind. How man y NFL players would not make it past the Immogration Department, or can't get passports for whatever reason?

Birmingham (Alabama) might support an NFL team. They might even go out looking for one someday. I think Portland is quite happy being Seahawks country).

The problem with the Broncos isn't the coach.  2 sacks, but for only 1 yard.  1 tackle for loss.  No turnovers.  6 different receivers with a 20+ yard completion.  4 consecutive possessions resulting in a punt (skipping the last one of the first half).  

Hard to tell entirely, with the Raiders...they've looked pretty good, and pretty bad.  But Denver is showing they're very much a 3rd-tier team...just above the bottom feeders.

Looks like 6 different games that weren't competitive...at least 20 point leads before some garbage time scores, in some cases.

ARRRGHHHhhhh.....stupid Pats....

I wouldn't be surprised that the pandemic and Brexit have soured the NFL on putting a team in England.  I agree the logistics would be brutal, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if

a) the NFLPA screams...the travel is just sick.  London to San Diego?  Google says it's 11 hours.  Each way.  In some ways, I think the *@#$&@#$ London games might be *worse* than TNF.  And imagine a London team as a #3 or 4 division winner, or as a wild card...with travel that's, say, London to Arizona, then London to Dallas.  We hear about back-to-back cross-country being draining...this is several times worse.

b)  the immigration issues are tricky as heck.  But worse?  Who'd WANT to play there?  With those logistics?  With moving a family to England?  What are the tax implications...other than a LOT messier?  Toss all that in, and ya gotta figure free agents will rarely look there, and many players will flee as soon as their contracts allow.

The London games now are, I think, less about getting a franchise into England, and more about trying to grow their market.  The US market is probably largely saturated;  there's few new fans to find and indoctrinate.  Even if you only get a small percentage of the English market, it started at zero, or darn close.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The problem with the Broncos isn't the coach.  2 sacks, but for only 1 yard.  1 tackle for loss.  No turnovers.  6 different receivers with a 20+ yard completion.  4 consecutive possessions resulting in a punt (skipping the last one of the first half).  

Hard to tell entirely, with the Raiders...they've looked pretty good, and pretty bad.  But Denver is showing they're very much a 3rd-tier team...just above the bottom feeders.

Right now, the Broncos have no identity. They were hyped coming into the season as having a dominant defense, but we haven't seen that. Offensively, are they running team? Are they a passing team with Teddy Bridgewater at the helm? We haven't really seen either of those things either. They're not a finesse team, and they haven't had success in trying to be a power team.

I think the only thing we can accurately say about the Broncos right now is that they are the worst team in the AFC West. And I have no idea what it's going to take to fix that.

--

Well, Seattle did their best to make it interesting, but Geno Smith is no Russell Wilson. 

I was thinking to post Seattle was done for the season during halftime.  Well, that almost was a huge mistake.  But they lost in the end, and now 4 games back of Arizona, and 3 back of the Rams.

It's interesting to note that there are 5 NFC teams at 5-1 or better.  Then you drop down to the Saints at 3-2, but does anyone think they're notably better than a .500 team?  Right now, that last WC spot is a cluster of very flawed teams.  AFC...important game tomorrow.  If Buffalo wins, they join Baltimore at 5-1, and then a pack at 4-2 and 3-3.  But I figure a couple teams may be about to stumble badly...Raiders, of course, but also the Browns if Mayfield is out for any period.  Apparently he dislocated his left shoulder on a hard impact with the ground...and this one had a labrum tear.  If it goes to surgery, he's out for the rest of the season.

My view on the Seahawks is that last year they racked up a bunch of fluke wins and they were nowhere near as good as their record.  Their fundamentals were awful.  This year the flukes have regressed to the mean, and they are not as bad as they look now, though the one-dimensionality of their offense -- Wilson -- lies exposed for all to see.  Maybe the lack of trade capital this off-season has made this inevitable, but without Wilson under center they can't even pretend to be mediocre, IMO.  A couple more Ls and they should tunnel for a draft pick that they can trade for three others, which the front office's preferred MO.

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

My view on the Seahawks is that last year they racked up a bunch of fluke wins and they were nowhere near as good as their record.  Their fundamentals were awful.  This year the flukes have regressed to the mean, and they are not as bad as they look now, though the one-dimensionality of their offense -- Wilson -- lies exposed for all to see.  Maybe the lack of trade capital this off-season has made this inevitable, but without Wilson under center they can't even pretend to be mediocre, IMO.  A couple more Ls and they should tunnel for a draft pick that they can trade for three others, which the front office's preferred MO.

So, Cancer, I'm reading this as: the Squawks are back. I'm afraid I have to agree with you. :( 

14 hours ago, Cancer said:

The Seahawks don't own their first rounder. The Jets have it and are looking at 2 top 10 picks and another later in the first.

A fanblog has pointed out Geno Smith for Seattle has averaged 3.3 yards per pass attempt, which is not only execrable, it is less (by an amount that is lost in the rounding) than Alex Collins' 3.3 yards per carry average for Seattle, which is also distinctly below league average in that category.

I think the biggest question remaining is how the Jets are to botch the really nice 1st round pick they already have from Seattle.