2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Embarrassed at blowing their string last week, Urban "Oscar Wiener" Meyer's crew begins a new one with style, putting up a clean slate.

The Squawks' eyes lit up with that telltale glow, "At last!  Someone we can beat!"

It's true... 

Sad Canadian GIF by CBC

How bad are The Jags? In what has to be the worst play of the year in the whole NFL they let an onside kick be recovered for a TD. Nobody was prepared. Nobody. What does special teams even practice?? 

Season 8 I Give Up GIF by Portlandia

Honestly, it's surprising that doesn't happen more often.  The blame IMO goes 100% to the kicker, insofar as the execution goes.  (Yes, yes, inset McKay quote here.)  One hop right to the receiver, all he has to do is beat one guy and he's gone...the kicking team is totally out of position.  It's not that much different from a linebacker stepping in to pick off a flat pass.  

I'll also blame Meyer.  Look at the receiving team, they're TOTALLY expecting it.  They've got 8 guys within a yard of the 45.  BONEHEAD move to try it here, at least in that manner.  Fine, try the pooch kick if you absolutely must try the genius move, but whatever they tried was moronic.  And geeze...the score was 24-7 in the 4th...inside the 2 minute warning!!!!  WTF!!!!  Oh yeah, right, the game has to be played to the end????  STUPID!!!!!  AND the 'hawks were utterly ready for it.  

Then again, it's Urban Meyer.  Whether the players are tanking...maybe.  I tend to doubt it at this point.  Are any vets listening to Meyer?  THAT is rather more doubtful.  This is the kind of bonehead move you see from college coaches enshrined in their positions, who are basically tin-plated little godlings at their schools.  Like keeping the starters in and running a flea flicker with 3 minutes left and a 30 point lead...and I'm pretty sure Meyer's done moves like that a few times.  It's definitely not a play to endear a coach to a team;  it does no real good in the best case, and invites odd, freaky hits that get players hurt.

Yeah, considering those factors, I can second the nomination for boneheaded call of the year...altho probably not pick it in the end, only because it was a meaningless play involving 2 meaningless teams this year.  Definitely belongs on the 101 Reasons to Fire Urban Meyer lowlight reel and list.

16 hours ago, Starlord said:

*blows raspberry*

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, I've calmed down enough now to talk about the Bengals loss.

First of all, I have to say in fairness that the Jets absolutely deserved to win this game as they outplayed a flat Bengals team most of the day.

However, the penalty with 2 minutes to go on Mike Hilton just can't be allowed to happen.  It just can't!  Grrr.  Hilton CLEARLY goes for a legal tackle right at the receiver's thighs who drops his head 2 feet into Hilton's helmet.  Hilton gets called for unnessary roughness.  Jets are given a first down when they would have to punt with 2 minutes left. Game over.

GRRRRRRR!!

*wanted to show the replay here but can't due to NFL stuff...it's on YouTube if you wanna see it.

GRRRRRRR AGAIN!!!!!

Ahhh, yeah, that Hilton hit.

First problem is, there was clear helmet-to-helmet and it's absolutely a play the league wants to eliminate.  BUT...whose fault was it, Hilton's, or the back for dropping his head as the hit approached?  If Hilton gets the flag, then I read it that he had put *himself* into that dangerous, somewhat out of control position, leading with his head/helmet.  IIRC, Hilton's arms never came forward, so it was leading with the helment.  

I don't think the rules allow it, but I would welcome calling offsetting personal fouls...the back led with HIS helmet too, and it feels like he could've avoided the situation.  The drawback there is, to call that, it'd have to go to replay and be parsed 18 million different times through all the camera angles and take 20 minutes.

14 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

How bad are The Jags? In what has to be the worst play of the year in the whole NFL they let an onside kick be recovered for a TD. 

It might not be...it might not even rate worst play of the week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-colts-titans-carson-wentz-coughs-up-worst-interception-of-the-year-204716507.html

The flip side holds here.  The call?  Not great, IMO, but....the coach calling it is relying on the QB to either shift out to something else if the defensive look is bad, or ditch the ball.  Yesterday was Wentz' 76th NFL *start*.  So he isn't some green rookie fresh out of the football factory.  Wentz panicked.  The pump was fatal brain lock;  after that, there was no path to recover, not in the end zone.  

Granted, as pointed out at the end of the article...after that pump, there was NO chance for anything good.  The best possible result at that point was an incompletion...wildly unlikely after the tuck and dodge.  The safety kills you too;  the game was tied.  Safety gives the Titans the lead and forces an onside free kick.  FAT chance of that working.  

But ya gotta see these things in advance if you're getting paid 9 figures for 4 years.  Gotta think the Colts are stuck with buyer's remorse, cuz they're stuck with a huge chunk of guaranteed money for 3 1/2 more years.  

Article here says a lot:
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/worst-nfl-quarterbacks-carson-wentz-sam-darnold-drew-lock/

One particular comment, about Wentz in play-action:

This does not come as a surprise if you’ve watched Wentz’s 2020 tape. He was mechanically slow and out of sorts, and this caused to him to miss opportunities created by play-action more often than not. 

Yeah...that's the play from yesterday.  Slow to react, then panic...which is about as out of sorts as you can get.

And so it begins...

Broncos trading franchise legend Von Miller to Rams for pair of 2022 Day 2 draft picks

Denver is also paying most of his 2021 salary for the rest of the year, but it's just money, right?

As much as I hate to say this, I think this is probably what's best for the Broncos right now. Von Miller isn't quite the player he was, and he's on the last year of his contract. To get a 2nd and a 3rd round pick in next spring's draft is a pretty good haul. 

Now if we only had a front office that knew wat to do with them....

Bad news for the Saints:

Saints' Jameis Winston to miss remainder of 2021 season after tearing ACL vs. Buccaneers

Trevor Siemian finished the game; he's listed as the #3 QB (behind Winston and Taysom Hill, who's still in he concussion protocol). Do the Saints go out and get another QB? Who's even available?

(Hint: Drew Lock!)

I don't think the Rams have much choice.  Stafford's doing great, and he's not that old, but he's got a LOT of mileage on him.  Rams had already mostly bailed out of next year's draft.  And hey, they're 7-1 now, altho one has to be a tad careful there...the wins include Bears, Giants, Lions, and Texans.  But they have beaten the Bucs, and beat Seattle before they started to fall apart.  Lost to Cards...in LA...tho.  It's possible...not likely admittedly...that the division winner will be the 1 seed, and the other the top wild card...ergo road games throughout.

I also agree that from Denver's perspective, this was a good move.  They didn't fall into the trap of thinking 4-4 meant they were serious contenders.  Poll here:
https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/11/1/22757520/broncos-trading-von-miller-to-rams

was an even split basically, as I write this.  So the peasants aren't revolting.  I agree with the writer, tho, that Fangio's gone at the end of the year.  Bridgewater...harder to say.  Free agent at the end of the season, but he's dirt cheap.  IF!! there's a good looking QB prospect come the Broncos' turn to pick...what's scary is they may not have a top-10 pick, as the first 7 (Giants, WFT, Lions, Jets, Fins, Jags, Texans) aren't likely to win 4.  And Lock, we already know, is Nightmare on Blake Street.  So don't be surprised if the Broncos go QB and throw him into the starting lineup on opening day.  They may have the draft capital to build around him, tho.  

So...umm...Mr. P?  Hate to tell ya, but your Broncos are next season's Jags, waiting to happen.....

14 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So...umm...Mr. P?  Hate to tell ya, but your Broncos are next season's Jags, waiting to happen.....

Only if the Broncos' front office is stupid enough to make as boneheaded a head coaching hire as Urban Meyer.

(Which is certainly not outside the realm of possibility, I suppose.)

Oh, I have every confidence there.  Not because it's the Bronco front office, just because there's more Meyers out there, and they seem to have a Svengali-like draw.  And hey, if it's not Meyer, it could be another retread, or another attempt at a genius hire with a grossly underqualified coordinator.  SO many ways they can screw it up.

And one has to ask if Tennessee is still viable with Henry out.  They'll still make the playoffs, it's reasonably safe to say;  they've got Jacksonville, Miami, and Houston (twice) left.  The only possible challenger for the division is Indy;  they've beaten them twice already and are 3 games up.  That makes it VERY tough for Indy to make up the ground, without a head-to-head matchup, and leaves the Colts effectively 3 1/2 back as they lose the tiebreaker.

Same might be true with the Saints.  They've got a nice margin over the mushy, weak middle of the NFC...but they have no QB now.  Well, who knows;  perhaps Siemian will show enough competence when he's got a better team and coach.

No, I don't expect it either.  

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Once again, a Raider is in the news.  Looks like mandatory jail time, which is well deserved.

A woman's body was found in the Rav4 that he hit; the SUV was still on fire when police arrived at the scene. Local news report on the crash: https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/police-raiders-henry-ruggs-to-be-charged-with-dui-in-fatal-crash-2470417/