Pariah

On 6/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, Cancer said:

To add more context: Wales is going to the World Cup for the first time in more than 60 years.

AND they are in the same group as Iran, England, and the US.

Not sure I want to think about that group in Qatar.  Three of the four teams could all get arrested and then decapitated for having a post-match beer party there....

On 6/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, unclevlad said:

Follow the money trail, man...

21 hours ago, Cancer said:

I suspect that it's more of a money parking lot rather than a money trail.

Also, I wonder if it will ever be known how many of the foreign workers who built all the stadiums came to Qatar and did not live to go home.

Well at least the Qatar WC decision caused the "secret committee" version of WC awards to go away in favor of a general open vote.  Not that there won't be any corruption, they will just have to put in more of an effort. 

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Well at least the Qatar WC decision caused the "secret committee" version of WC awards to go away in favor of a general open vote.  Not that there won't be any corruption, they will just have to put in more of an effort. 

I thought maybe the bid scandal surrounding the 2002 Winter Olympic Games might have cleaned things up as well. And yet here we are, coming off Beijing hosting the games for the second time since then.

At the WCWS, UCLA pulled off an upset:  they actually beat Oklahoma in the first game of the semis.

Not to worry.  The next game was 15-0 Oklahoma...in 5 innings.  <eyes glaze over>

Game 1 vs. Texas...it's bottom of the 4th, Oklahoma already up 11-1 and hitting with 1 out, a run in, and runners on 1st and 3rd.  

DOMINATION.  

EDIT:  Oh, dear.  The run rule that's in place the rest of the year?  DOES NOT APPLY to the WCWS championship series.  OU led 12-1 going into the bottom of the 5th...which would've invoked it quite comfortably...but it's not in play.  So they just led off their 5th with back to back blasts.  13 outs made by OU...13 hits, with 6 HRs.  With 5 more outs, the question may be whether they can score 20....

The prelude to the Tour de France is on and this is the Criterium du Dauphine. After yesterday's time trial ,won by Filippo Ganna with some ease, today's stage boiled down to whether the peloton could catch the breakaway. This was tense as it had failed earlier in the week with the peloton misjudging it by seconds and letting the breakaway win. This time the breakaway was caught just before the end within the last 1 km, within the last 500 metres. And Wout Van Aert who is the race leader took the stage by a wheel length. He lost an earlier stage because he celebrated too early and did not notice a rider had come through on his right.

Edited by death tribble

To no one's surprise, Oklahoma finished off the dream season, beating Texas 10-5 to take the WCWS.  From the ESPN story:

The question became obvious even before the confetti was shot into the night sky to celebrate the win: Was this the best softball team of all time? The squad led the country in batting average, home runs and ERA. It lost only three games.

Bold mine.  

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The big question ultimately comes down to this: who do you like better, me or Logan?

Well, I have to commiserate with Logan a bit more.  He was bemoaning the recent, short-term coach hire too.

Granted, picking on you is pretty much low-hanging fruit, but hey......  :)

And hey...

a)  it is impossible to root for a *hockey* team from water skiing country.  It is Just Not Done.

b)  they've won the last 2, that's more than enough

c)  Avs haven't won in 20 years.  Figure we gotta give you a bone *occasionally*....

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

As a Seattle mariners fan, I can say with absolute certainty ... no you don't.

But staying a Mariner fan proves you're a masochist.  Almost on par with being a Lions fan.  So it'd be just wasting the bone.

Besides...

https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/worst-mlb-records-last-10-years

The M's practically define mediocre...just under .500.  Mr. P's Rocks, OTOH, very nearly define futility.  And Logan's Jags *do* define it.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/worst-nfl-records-last-10-years

Not only the worst, but by a *serious* margin.  And that's beating out those well-known Bottom 10 stalwarts, the Browns, Jets, and Giants.