Pariah

Colorado suffers their first road loss of the playoffs, and Darcy Kuemper gets pulled in the second period after allowing his fifth goal of the game. Not a great night for the Avs.

This is a reminder, I suppose, of why the Lightning are the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions.

The LIV circus continues as Brooks Koepka signs on.

How meaningful this is, is rather up for debate.  A USA Today opinion piece labeled him another frat boy.  He's got 4 majors, to be sure...but he's also far down in the FedEx Cup standings, and not having a good year at all.  Conversely, as players jump ship despite the consequences, the more the pressure rises.  

Colorado buries Tampa Bay with a landslide of players in the offensive zone...can't readily find the game stats, but time in the Avs' offensive zone, and shots, were totally one-sided.  Vasilevskiy was brilliant.....

....until even he couldn't withstand the pressure.

Avs 3-2 in OT.  

Strangely enough, the only game I've been able to watch in the Finals was game 3, where the Avs got taken behind the wood shed. Clearly if I want Colorado to win this series, I dare not watch game 5 on Friday.

#Correlation=Causation

Anyway, looking at the series so far: Two blowouts, one for each team. Two overtime games, both won by Colorado.

This series could just as easily be 3-1 in favor of the Lightning.

Go Avs! Let's close this thing out!

You chose a good night in which to root for the Bolts. It was a tense, exciting game.

If you are on an audio program that permits, listening to the Tampa Bay radio feed on these games can be quite entertaining.  The color man on the broadcasts is Phil Esposito. He Is eighty years old, a Hall of Famer, and a former owner of the team who was instrumental in bringing top-flight hockey to West Florida. Now he sits in the broadcast booth and provides insight largely in the form of what a curmudgeonly fan would shout at the TV in the sports bar. You would think him well past his sell-by date, but people love him. Probably because in ways he is much like them.

And Tampa showed a form that indicates why you do not come into the cage of a wounded tiger wearing a skirt steak. It was a tight game the whole way, with one lucky break the difference betwqeen OT and an outright Tampa win. Now they just have to do it again to force a winner-take-all, anything-can-=happen Game 7, which is a feeling unlike anyuthing one experiences as a sports fan.

And Kuemper helped the Bolts get off to a nice start by allowing a VERY soft goal.

Sometimes that curmudgeonly approach works...others...?  I remember Joe Gargiola...senior...doing some DIamondbacks games as a special guest analyst at that point.  It was well after he'd retired from the booth.  I still remember him complaining...D'backs were well ahead, late in the game.  Other team was batting.  Runner on 1st.  Defense is playing back;  this was before shifting.  Runner takes 2nd;  the broadcaster gives the usual "he won't get credited for a stolen base, it's defensive indifference."

At that point, Garagiola goes "how can it be indifference?  It does matter!  It takes away the double play!"

<sigh>  

Maybe I'm the curmudgeon, but that's stuck with me for at least 10 years;  he retired before the 2013 season.  Linguistically?  "Indifference" says they don't care that it took away the double play.  Tactically?  I forget the score, but it was multiple runs;  if the runner on 1st scored, it wasn't meaningful.  

This wasn't the only time he showed that he was notably out of touch, but it's the dramatic one.

That said, if it's just cranky...that can be great fun.  So many announcers aren't critical of bad plays.  Team announcers are part of a team's PR operation, in a sense...but I really dislike downplaying bad play.  When it's national broadcasters, it's worse.  They *should* be journalists first.

Ehhh...I might be able to find it, but I probably can't sync it to the TV broadcast.  I've noted that live streams don't sync...the broadcast now is running 10, 15, sometimes 30 seconds behind, more often than not.  (I'm thinking maybe the FCC can't fine you for Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunctions on a live stream....but they can on cable.  SNF is a good demonstration;  anyone can stream it.)

Yes, Mr. P, you may thank me for my clear ability to influence the hockey games.

I accept gold and silver tokens of appreciation.

I love when the goalie gets pulled.  There really is nothing like it;  it can sometimes happen in soccer, or the goalie occasionally pushes forward...but that's so much different because the soccer field is SO much larger, close to twice the length, and there's so many extra bodies.  

We now return Mr. P to the Rockies' season........

The Avalanche skated through the postseason with a 16-4 record, including sweeps in the opening round (Nashville) and the conference finals (Edmonton). They lost one road game in the playoffs and closed out all four series on the road.

Congratulations to the Colorado Avalanche,  the 2022 Stanley Cup champions!

In 2020, Corey Perry played for the Dallas Stars, who lost in the Stanley Cup finals to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

In 2021, Perry played for the Montreal Canadiens, who lost to Tampa Bay in the Stanley Cup finals.

This year, Perry signed with Tampa Bay ... who lost in the Stanley Cup finals to the Colorado Avalanche.

I'm not saying the guy is cursed, but if he showed up as my Uber driver, I think I'd walk instead. 

Rafa starts strong, taking the first 2 sets 4 and 3, but 23 yo Argentinian Francisco Cerundolo, a player clearly on the rise (started the year at 127, now 41) outhit him in the 3rd and even the first half of the 4th...won the 3rd, break up at, IIRC, 4-3...but then Nadal picked it up, cracked the whip, and ran out the 4th to win the match.  Good match.  Cerundolo got unlucky with the draw, too...only 1 in 3 odds that any non-seed will play the seed in the 1st round, and 50% chance it'll be a lower seed, 17-32.  It'll probably cost him a couple spots as some players make runs.

After that, Serena back on center court.  RUSTY!!!! as all heck, but that's a given.  Her first singles match since her injury last year...at Wimbledon.  Lost the first set;  came back to blow away Harmony Tan from France, another unseeded player, 6-1 in the second.  Third was up and down.  Serena's TIRED, but she's completely used to the moment.  Tan's not.  That said...Serena gets the break up at 5-4, serving for the match.......and drops her serve.  Serena....dropping serve?  Almost never happens.  Tan gets to 6-5 up;  Serena struggles greatly, but holds in the end.  Tan gets up 9-7...with Tan serving.  Serena's return.........hits the tape.

It's over.

On some levels a MASSIVE upset;  on others, just due to the layoff, not that big a surprise.  Serena was totally gassed.  Not much pace on the serve throughout the match...and especially in the 3rd.  The question now may be...is this the end for Serena?  I don't expect a decision today...but before the end of the week?  It's certainly plausible.  

Kudos to Harmony Tan. I thought she was done for in the final set when she fell behind 5-4. Even if she had lost today, she gets credit for lasting this long against Serena Williams. Granted Serena is pretty rusty right now, but she is still a dangerous opponent.

As for Serena, I suspect that this was just a warmup for the US Open this fall. She'll be used to playing in majors again, and she'll most likely go farther. Note that she's not completely out of Wimbledon yet. She will be playing doubles with Jamie Murray.*

*Correction: Venus will be playing with Jamie, not Serena