Pariah

This may be a game-changer for Video Games and Esports: FIFA has broken up with EA Sports, who will not produce their game without the naming rights in 2023 after thirty profitable years.

Electronic Arts has been the six-hundred-pound gorilla of the genre. Their soccer, football (Madden), and hockey ("Chel") sell like hotcakes even if critics have gone less and less impressed each season. Not only are the games popular and profitable, but it gives the distributor a near monopoly in the field.  Right now, for example, they have an EXCLUISIVE license with the NFL. The games also have a substantial Esports presence.

I attended one of the last eMLS (the official Esports competition of Major League Soccer) tournament finals that were open to the public and had a grand old time seeing people so good at a video game that they earn their livings at it.

While this finally lets other companies into the party, EA Sports is still free to negotiate with leagues and clubs on its own. So they can still get exclusive rights to the kits, images, stadiums, and league structures of any organization whose price they are willing to meet. They just can't use FIFA, UEFA, and CONCAF (the North American organization, including Canada, the USA, Mexico, and the Central American and Caribbean countries) events in the game. 

Meanwhile, the splintering of soccer games may force EA to finally update their game engine to modern standards. They have been riding on FIFA's coattails for decades with little incentive to make real gameplay changes. If this cascades, we could end up with multiple NFL or NHL games in the future. Up until the mid-aughts, EA's versions competed with those of other companies before they started locking up the popular rights just to themselves.

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

This may be a game-changer for Video Games and Esports: FIFA has broken up with EA Sports, who will not produce their game without the naming rights in 2023 after thirty profitable years.

Electronic Arts has been the six-hundred-pound gorilla of the genre. Their soccer, football (Madden), and hockey ("Chel") sell like hotcakes even if critics have gone less and less impressed each season. Not only are the games popular and profitable, but it gives the distributor a near monopoly in the field.  Right now, for example, they have an EXCLUISIVE license with the NFL. The games also have a substantial Esports presence.

I attended one of the last eMLS (the official Esports competition of Major League Soccer) tournament finals that were open to the public and had a grand old time seeing people so good at a video game that they earn their livings at it.

While this finally lets other companies into the party, EA Sports is still free to negotiate with leagues and clubs on its own. So they can still get exclusive rights to the kits, images, stadiums, and league structures of any organization whose price they are willing to meet. They just can't use FIFA, UEFA, and CONCAF (the North American organization, including Canada, the USA, Mexico, and the Central American and Caribbean countries) events in the game. 

Meanwhile, the splintering of soccer games may force EA to finally update their game engine to modern standards. They have been riding on FIFA's coattails for decades with little incentive to make real gameplay changes. If this cascades, we could end up with multiple NFL or NHL games in the future. Up until the mid-aughts, EA's versions competed with those of other companies before they started locking up the popular rights just to themselves.

I don't see it that way.  In part, because I think you're wrong:  they DO have the potential to use UEFA.  UEFA is a club championship;  FIFA is principally the national teams.

EA's coming FIFA-less soccer game will still have “more than 300 individual licensed partners, giving players access to more than 19,000 athletes across 700 teams, in 100 stadiums and over 30 leagues around the world.” Those partners include major international leagues like the Premier League, LaLiga, Bundesliga, UEFA, CONMEBOL, and more.

The major loss is the World Cup...but how much of a loss is that, in a non-WC year?

I can't comment that much about the engine, as I've never been even slightly interested in playing any of these.  BUT:  some factors to consider:

--consistency of play, year to year

--keeping the broad accessibility by NOT making the hardware requirements too onerous.

I don't think this will hurt EA at all.  Quite the opposite, in fact, I think it'll boost sales in the US and Europe.  In the US, they lose the Women's World Cup...but the overall interest is much lower, and what percentage of eSports purchases are made by women?  But I'd trade MLS for the US mens' WC *any day*.  In Europe, they can work with every major league.  There's probably heavy overlap...if you're a fan of Chelsea, you're likely a fan of England in the Cup.  But you're a fan of Chelsea every year.

The Avalanche really stunk it up at home tonight in game two. They lost 4-1 in a game that wasn't really that close. St. Louis came in and played a physical game, and Colorado just had no answer.

The Avs did score early in the third quarter to narrow the gap to 2-1, and it looked like they had life for a bit. Then they gave up a stupid 2-on-1 fast break goal and it was over. I turned the TV off at that point, so I didn't see the fourth goal for the Blues. But I'm sure it was equally ignominious.

It's probably good for Colorado to get a taste of defeat, being the only team that swept through the first round. It had to happen eventually, and maybe it'll be a reality check for the team. But ... well, the Avs have exited the playoffs in the second round each of the last 3 years. Last year they won their first six straight, including a first-round sweep of the Blues. Then once they got their first loss, they never won again.

Thus it is, being an Avalanche fan in the playoffs. Give me strength.

But hey, at least the Rockies didn't lose tonight.

Up until today, I was unaware of the existence of a sport that is something like ice hockey, but played with a ball on a rink the size of a football (soccer) pitch. Well, there is such a sport, and it's called Bandy. There are professional leagues in Russia and Sweden, apparently.

13 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Bolts completed the sweep! Nice. 

Happy Dance GIF by ShiGai

Next opponent is TBA. 

I had to take care of other things and had to set the game I was watching aside. Were the Oilers able to hang on?

The other series in the East is the Rangers and the Hurricanes, which New York tied up today. I'm sure the waiting Lightning would rather play New York than Carolina. That's what's so rough about having to prepare for the dreaded TBA.

The Oilers scored three in the first period and won the game 5-3. They now hold a 3-1 lead over the Flames in the Battle of Alberta, with game 5 in Calgary Thursday night.

In the Colorado-St. Louis series, the Avs won game three in a game that featured a collision between Avs forward Nazem Kadri , Blues defenseman Calle Rosen, and Blues goalie Jordan Binnington. Binnington suffered a lower body injury and is done for the series. Neither Kadri nor Rosen was penalized on the play. But Kadri has a not entirely undeserved reputation for dirty play and was immediately blamed by St. Louis fans--and the Blues' coach. Oh, and Binnington apparently threw a water bottle at Kadri during the latter's post game presser.

Subsequently, Kadri (who is Canadian with Lebanese ancestry, and clearly not White) received a number of death threats and other racist blowback from Blues fans. This led to an increased police presence at Colorado's hotel and at the game Tuesday night. At one point in the game, Kadri was knocked to the ice from behind by one Blues player and then punched while down by another.

So how did noted hothead Nazem Kadri respond? With a hat trick (three goals, not the Gordie Howe variety), an assist, and zero penalty minutes in game 4. Colorado holds a 3-1 edge and looks to close out the series tonight in Denver. 

The coolest thing in the Edmonton game was the goal Calgary pulled off.  Down 3-2 mid 3rd, and a man down...

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/watch-flames-rasmus-andersson-scores-improbable-short-handed-goal-vs-oilers/2769159/

I get it.  It clearly got up above board level...and at that point?  Black on black.  Finding it later...good luck.  The guy wasn't even trying to score, he was just killing time and clearing.  

On 5/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, Pariah said:

Up until today, I was unaware of the existence of a sport that is something like ice hockey, but played with a ball on a rink the size of a football (soccer) pitch. Well, there is such a sport, and it's called Bandy. There are professional leagues in Russia and Sweden, apparently.

Bandy on Wikipedia. 

20 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The coolest thing in the Edmonton game was the goal Calgary pulled off.  Down 3-2 mid 3rd, and a man down...

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/watch-flames-rasmus-andersson-scores-improbable-short-handed-goal-vs-oilers/2769159/

I get it.  It clearly got up above board level...and at that point?  Black on black.  Finding it later...good luck.  The guy wasn't even trying to score, he was just killing time and clearing.  

That game was not exactly a clinic on effective goalkeeping by either team.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Nathan MacKinnon just scored one of the most beautiful goals I've ever seen. 

From a yahoo! sports article about it:

The go-ahead tally lit Hockey Twitter ablaze, as the internet collectively melted into a puddle at the absolute insanity of MacKinnon’s heroics.