Pariah

Colorado goalie Darcy Kuemper is out for Game 2 against Edmonton. He left midway through Game 1 with an unspecified upper body injury. No word on when he might be back.

In Pavel Francouz we trust, I guess.

I don't hear confidence ringing out there, Mr. P.

Got to love the NHL's injury designations.  An open greenstick leg fracture is "a lower extremity injury."  So's a hangnail.

Avs are still -1.5.  Puck line (total goals) is a conservative 7.  

If Tampa Bay's gonna sweep the next 4, they need to wake up first.

Good god, you never see odds like this.

Women's College WS.  8 teams, like the men's, 2 groups play double elimination, get down to the last 2 for a 3 game playoff for the title.

They're the best 8.

Oklahoma is -270 to win it.  So you have to bet $270 to win $100.  The field is +350, IIRC.  That's unheard of.

But Oklahoma went 54-2 for the season.  Yeah.  54 of 56.  INSANE.  They were #1 in the nation in 5 big stats.  Batting average by 18 points.  ERA by 0.6 runs per game...they're at 0.8, next best is 1.4.  (3 of their pitchers are in the top 5 individual ERA.)  Scoring...over a run per game higher.

They won today 13-2....in 5.  13 runs in 5 innings...softball has a run rule.  The 39th!!!!! time that's happened this season.

Seems that Nike founder (and hardcore U of Oregon booster) Phil Knight and LA Dodgers co-owner Adam Smolinisky made a $2e+9 offer to the Allen estate for the Portland Trailblazers.  The estate indicated it wasn't looking to sell quite so quickly, but with Knight as quite likely owner, there would approximately zero chance of that franchise leaving Portland.

Avs beat the Oilers 4-0 on the strength of a shutout by the backup goalie and three assists by suddenly respectable Nazem Kadri.

Celtics stormed back in the 4th quarter to win Game 1 at Golden State.

Life is good.

Yeah....just saw the pic from a Guardian article.  That looks like a VERY bad ankle injury.  I suspect surgery's upcoming, and if that's the case, he's likely out the rest of the year.

In other news, in the other semi, an eco-fanatic interrupted the match by wiring and gluing herself to the net.  Just a semi-generic protest..."we have 1028 days left"...which seems...rather meaningless, from an environmental standpoint.  There's nothing that can be predicted accurately that far out.

But hey, it's somewhat reassuring to think that not just Americans are that......ummm......I don't think I can use any accurate term without incurring the Wrath of Simon.  I'm thinking of the protester at, IIRC, the NBA Finals who tried to glue themselves to the court.

Or maybe it's not reassuring at all......it's spread already...........

In other tennis news, the Wimbledon entry list is out.  Neither Venus nor Serena are on it...they both have leg injuries.  Still possible to get a wild card, but we'll have to see.  
EDIT:  and apparently Rafa Nadal is passing on Wimbledon.  His foot's been a major problem, so while unfortunate, it's not totally surprising.

The times, they are a-changin'....

Zverev's injury was pretty bad. The way he was crying you knew it hurt a lot.

Apparently, the activist glued her hand to the net and attached herself with a neck string. I first read about it here. My first thought upon reading the headline was

Spoiler

she glued her backside to the net (wearing pants, of course. I have such a dirty mind! 😮 

Pain alone sometimes is misleading.

Today, no more details, but Zverev himself is calling it "very serious."  So that's very Not Good.  The degree to which that ankle bent was BAD.

Iga Swiatek is taking a stranglehold on the #1 ranking.  I love tennis' rating system...every tournament, every match gives points to the winners;  even making it into the first round at a big event is worth points too.  (That matters a LOT for the lower ranked players.)  Rankings are based on points over the last year, as a rolling calendar.  (So the points from the 2021 French Open are removed once the 2022 started.)  

So after the final today, the players ranked 2-6 have between 4325 (#2) and 3966 (#6) points...a 400 point spread.  Swiatek, OTOH, has over 8600.

Coco Gauff's run to the finals elevated her to #13, a new career high.

Tennis is actually seeing something of a youth movement.  Women's side...Swiatek is just 21, Raducanu is 19 with a major under her belt (but the rest of her results have been so-so, so she may plummet hard when her US Open points come off), Gauff is 18, and Leylah Fernandez is 19.  They're all top 16.  Men's side, there's the crew that's been coming on...Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Auger-Aliassime, Fritz....but you've got Alcaraz who's been BLAZING (started 2021 at 141, now #7), Sinner, and Holger Rune, who's jumped up to #28.

Kevin Na chose to resign from the PGA Tour to play the LIV.

He's 38, ranked #33 in the world...5 titles.  So a solid player but not exactly a top player.  And getting up there in age.  He's made $37M on the PGA tour.  And like Johnson...probably moving out of his prime.  

I don't think the PGA's particularly worried yet...annoyed, yes.  And ya can't blame Na for taking the chance.  The $$$ is just too attractive.

Just saw on ESPN Bottom Line:  not at all surprisingly, Alexander Zverev has torn ligaments in his foot.

Zverev, who tearfully left the court in a wheelchair at Roland Garros, posted on Instagram: 'Hey guys! I am now on my way back home. Based on the first medical checks, it looks like I have torn several lateral ligaments in my right foot.'

Given the foot...it's so complex, and obviously it's weight-bearing so extra care's necessary, my completely non-professional guess is, this feels like over a year to recover.  Significantly over a year.  It would not surprise me at all that his next big event will be the Aussie Open...in 2024.  

Casper Ruud tapped out early in the French Open final.  Nadal won the first set 6-3;  Ruud managed to be up a break at 3-1 in the second when the roof caved in.  And the walls.  And a sinkhole opened up underneath and swallowed the entire house.

Nadal didn't lose another game.  

Rafa Nadal has just won his 14th French, and 22nd major.  2 ahead of Roger and Joker.  He is now 112-3 at the French.  

Update:  Not, not not good.  Rafa says he played the match with his foot asleep.

From AP:

French Open champion Rafael Nadal says he needed multiple injections to dull the pain in his left foot before matches throughout the tournament. He says unless he can find another solution for the chronic problem he won’t be able to play at Wimbledon — and isn’t sure about his future in tennis.

Nadal said at his postmatch news conference after beating Casper Ruud in Sunday’s final that he received anesthetizing shots for nerves in the foot that left it feeling numb.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Logan.1179 said:

Ok, we're off to a bad start.

That's ok.

It's just the rest that develops after a dominant sweep.

image.jpeg.43bf0126f42517c77c54c734b5edb5c8.jpeg

And take the Rays with you!

Whilee I don't want to really sewe hrte Bolts leave, I think there is a point with the American League's Tampa Bat Rays. Their stadium is in the wrong pace (St. Pete instead of Tampa proper) and generally pretty bad. Players hate it, and fans don't (because they can't) go there to see games. Therer are a lot of fans in Tampa, but they're mostly stuck with TV because the traffic is so awful. This despite the Rays usually being really good. they need more local appreciation or to move to a city that appreciastes them.