Pariah

Avalanche goalkeeper Darcy Kuemper left in the first period of last night's playoff game after a freak accident where an opponent's stick got through his mask and poked him in the eye. The injury isn't serious, apparently, but there's a lot of swelling. He's out for game four, and the Avs have called up a goalie from the AHL.

Colorado leads the series over Nashville 3-0, and if they can close out the series tomorrow night, they'll probably have almost a week before they have to play again.

I flipped on the Kings/Oilers game 3 toward end of the 2nd period last night. My brother and I love it when an announcer shows that he is not a true follower of the game. They show the statue of Gretzky outside Staples center. He says Gretzky was great for the game and is back in the studio doing analysis for them and is watching his former team - The Kings. I really wanted the other guy to say, well, you know most the single season records he set were when he played for the Oilers, so I am sure he watching them too. I mean, how are you the National Play by Play announcer for TBS and NOT KNOW GRETZKY PLAYED FOR THE OILERS AND WON 3 STANLEY CUPS?

Sorry, maybe he did, but the statement was stupid. he should have said watching 2 of his former teams.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, Spence said:

I think it is something different.  But maybe related. 

Qatar getting the World Cup was the straw that broke the camels back and restructured FIFA, sent a lot of the old guard to jail and changed the way the countries are selected from a small committee to the current open vote by all the members.  The only thing was they left the last decision by the old guard, Qatar in place. 

The World Cup usually happens across two months in the Jun/Jul time-frame every four years, but this year it will be in Nov/Dec. 

The FIFA Club World Cup is annual is one month long and is normally held in Dec, though the last two were shifted to Feb.

There is no way they can schedule two large international tournaments a month apart, so the FIFA Club World Cup is probably being rescheduled.  Personally I would have canceled the Qatar deal since the trials showed it was pure bribery or at least made them stick to the traditional schedule.

But I'm not in charge. 

Does anyone pay attention to the FIFA Club World Cup? Obviously not me, since this is the firstr I've heard of it.

Whenever it is held the Qatar WC should be a PR Disaster. But if there's one thing Oligarchs in general is good at, so people will flock to Qatar's new stadiums and hotels - never mind who actually did the work, or how much (or whether) the hotel housekeeping stafs are paid.

Bitter? Moi?.

16 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Does anyone pay attention to the FIFA Club World Cup? Obviously not me, since this is the firstr I've heard of it.

Whenever it is held the Qatar WC should be a PR Disaster. But if there's one thing Oligarchs in general is good at, so people will flock to Qatar's new stadiums and hotels - never mind who actually did the work, or how much (or whether) the hotel housekeeping stafs are paid.

Bitter? Moi?.

If generally I have be aware of the CWC for several years, but never spent much time on it because none of the teams I follow ever made it past the zone championship.  I was never a big follower of other country professional league.  I may watch some EPL or Bund.  But I don't follow it.

I personally think this WC will be a failure attendance'wise.  From the articles I have seen, the current ticket and ticket package sales are far behind any previous WC.  To the point the stadiums will be partially empty without a concerted local effort to fill the gaps.  The only person I know that seriously looked into it decided not to because his wife and daughter would not be able sit in the same section of the stadium because women were restricted to a woman's section.  Plus the stadium is dry, though you can drink in your hotel.  While they may have changed some of the restrictions and not judging anything as good or bad, Qatar is not a "western" nation and its ways are not what someone from the US, Canada or Mexico would see as "normal".

I personally have spent far too much time in the region, including Qatar.  And it is far too easy to do something that violates the law without realizing it is even a law. 

While I am not a seer, I am fairly sure the attendance will not be what they hope for.

Oh boy......

Italian Open quarters.  Nadal blitzes Shapovalov in the first, 6-1.  Then, halfway through the second...his foot problem recurs.  Shap takes the 2nd in a tiebreaker, then 6-2 in the third.

In the post-match...one thing you have to give Rafa, he does NOT dodge questions.  His foot is a serious, chronic, intermittent problem.  His tone was very much suggesting, to me, that he *wants* to continue.......but whether he can, is by NO means a given.  Can't practice some days.  Couldn't play effectively today.  And there's not much to be done.  Not my opinion there...his own words.

My take was, he's gonna continue to try....but also that, if it's not meant to be, that's OK.  Makes me feel that the biggest mental hurdle stopping any athlete from retiring, may have already been passed.

He also lost all the rating points...he won it last year.  So it drops him to #5, with Alcaraz in the rear view mirror now.  Which would also mean Nadal would no longer be the #1 ranked Spanish player.  Probably the first time for that, barring periods he was injured.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, Pariah said:

Can you imagine a goalkeeper with Force powers?

Only if he is a Jedi and everyone else on the ice are Siths.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, Spence said:

If generally I have be aware of the CWC for several years, but never spent much time on it because none of the teams I follow ever made it past the zone championship.  I was never a big follower of other country professional league.  I may watch some EPL or Bund.  But I don't follow it.

I personally think this WC will be a failure attendance'wise.  From the articles I have seen, the current ticket and ticket package sales are far behind any previous WC.  To the point the stadiums will be partially empty without a concerted local effort to fill the gaps.  The only person I know that seriously looked into it decided not to because his wife and daughter would not be able sit in the same section of the stadium because women were restricted to a woman's section.  Plus the stadium is dry, though you can drink in your hotel.  While they may have changed some of the restrictions and not judging anything as good or bad, Qatar is not a "western" nation and its ways are not what someone from the US, Canada or Mexico would see as "normal".

I personally have spent far too much time in the region, including Qatar.  And it is far too easy to do something that violates the law without realizing it is even a law. 

While I am not a seer, I am fairly sure the attendance will not be what they hope for.

Well, there is a war on. It could be rersolved by December, one way or another, but it's bound to put a crimp in everyone's travel plans for the rest of this year.

The second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs begin this week.

Colorado Avalanche vs. St. Louis Blues: Obviously I'm rooting for Colorado. Next!

Edmonton Oilers vs. Calgary Flames: The Battle of Alberta is back! One of my favourite in-laws is an Oilers fan so that's where I'm going.

Florida* Panthers vs. Tampa Bay* Lightning: DGAF, honestly. But I can't abide the thought of a Tampa three-peat. So go Panthers, I guess.

New York Rangers vs. Carolina* Hurricanes: I would rather have seen the Penguins in this series, but NYR are an Original Six team. So I'll go for the classic.

*These places should never have had professional ice hockey teams in the first place, along with Nashville and Dallas.

So, looking back on the Colorado Avalanche's 3-2 OT victory over the St. Louis Blues last night, and this is what really sticks out: The stat line for Blues goalie Jordan Binnington. 54 shots, 3 goals allowed, 51 saves, 0.944 save percentage.

Yes, you read that right: 51 saves in 68 minutes of hockey.

That's astonishing almost to the point of incredulity. Binnington faces 54 shots, and allowed in only three. Sweet Christmas.

Oh, and the article I read also pointed out that Colorado had three shots ricochet off the post and two more off the crossbar.

In other words, the Avs had to take almost 60 shots to beat this guy.

To give some kind of context, Avs goalie Darcy Kuemper allowed two goals on 25 shots for a 0.920 save percentage.

For a goalie to face 25-30 shots in a game is commonplace. To face twice that many? Ludicrous.

If the Blues want to stay competitive in this series, they've got to get their goalie some defensive help. He won't last long under conditions like that.

Oh man.....what a totally absurd, unreal way to get knocked out.

From the story:

Girmay, 22, became the first black African winner of a Grand Tour stage on Tuesday but the Eritrean then went to hospital after popping a prosecco cork into his left eye while on the podium.

You can't write this stuff.

Mind, I've let a cork fly once or twice, and quite often...they are MOVING!  There really is a reason why real waiters *never* let the cork fly.  There's a technique to bleed off some of the pressure while sliding the cork out...either into your hand, or a towel.

And eyes are insanely delicate, and *incredibly* sensitive.  Had a bout of corneal erosions...pieces were trying to flake off.  If it sounds painful?  It's not.  It's EXCRUCIATING.  And terrifying, because...it's your *eye* fer crissakes.  

I don't really watch hockey so I was quite surprised to hear that the Tampa Bay Lightning is pursuing a three-peat this year. Wow, that's great! I was in Tampa for their first championship. We thought it was very cool and even watched some of that series. The league went on strike the next year. A bit of an overreaction if you ask me.