Pariah

Jonas Vingegaard wins stage 11 of the Tour de France and takes the Yellow Jersey. Jumbo Visma attacked Pogacar on the Telegraphe and the Galabier and did for his team mates. He was isolated and had to keep defending against two or more Jumbo Visma riders. Pogacar came in nearly 3 minutes down so he has lost the jersey by 2 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/62153759

On 6/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, unclevlad said:

No....she hasn't been playing, PERIOD.  Not WTA level, anyway...and the WTA records will show ITF events like Challengers and Futures (not sure they use the same terms, I know those are the mens' names).

She played doubles at Eastbourne, but that was literally the first matches since Wimbledon last year.  Eastbourne isn't a minor event, it's a WTA 500.  But it was doubles only, just to get *some* matches on grass in.  

Serena has nothing to be ashamed of if she does decide to hang up her racket. She is already one of the greatest tennis players of all time, regardless of gender. I suspect she could hold her own against most of the men on the tour, and even give Djokavic a run for his money. She brought a level of athleticism to the women's game that I don't think has been seen before and might not be seen since.

She has already built her legacy. Everything else is epilogue.

31 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Jonas Vingegaard wins stage 11 of the Tour de France and takes the Yellow Jersey. Jumbo Visma attacked Pogacar on the Telegraphe and the Galabier and did for his team mates. He was isolated and had to keep defending against two or more Jumbo Visma riders. Pogacar came in nearly 3 minutes down so he has lost the jersey by 2 minutes.

Yeah, the entire podium lurched today.  Vingegaard has 2+ minutes on Bardet, who shot up from 7th to 2nd;  Pogacar 3rd, Thomas 4th, Quintana 5th...these 4 are only separated by 20 seconds.

And another bugnuts insane day tomorrow.

So, here is something for you regarding tv viewing (coming from the US, since I don't know what is being shown in other countries) and drives my wife crazy.

Tournaments are going on right now for world cup qualifying for the women's soccer.

Being shown on the various sports channels for satellite/cable.

UEFA (european) Women's tournament are all on ESPN or ESPN2.

2022 Copa America Femenina (South American tournament) being shown on FS1 and FS2 (Fox sports channels)

So of course, you would expect the Concacaf (north/central American tournament) which includes Canada, USA, Mexico etc. to be shown on some of the channels and CBSSN and other affiliated channels, but no, other then a few games and the some of the playoffs, most the games are being shown on Paramount +, forcing anyone who wants to watch the home teams to pay for a streaming service, which we don't because we have limited data.

Today my wife said there is an African tournament going on and some of those games apparently are being show.

So to summarize, as an American Soccer fan, my wife can watch Europe, South America and Africa, but not watch Concacaf. So basically, Extortion for Paramount +.

2 hours ago, slikmar said:

So to summarize, as an American Soccer fan, my wife can watch Europe, South America and Africa, but not watch Concacaf. So basically, Extortion for Paramount +.

19 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Starting next season, MLS games will be shown only on the Apple streaming app.  No more free rabbit-ears TV seeing the Sounders for me, which means I won't watch them at home.  Irritating.

Welcome to the New Age.  

Standard OTA stuff is the most dead-end venue there is, IMO.  The NFL won't go too far, but MLB has 1, maybe 2 games a week on Fox (more on FS1);  the NBA does some games on ABC, usually on Sunday outside football season (and there's VERY little else going on in this window).  Some of this is that rebroadcast rights are a huge issue;  the local affiliates feel hosed.  OTA prime time is, IMO, an unmitigated, near-total wasteland.  EVERYTHING of value is getting moved to streaming.

The fly in this ointment is that the fragmentation of the streaming market *might* create some pushback, simply because there are too bleeping many streaming services fragmenting the market too much.

Don't get me started on the MLB thing. I basically pay them $150 a year, appx, to watch my team play. there are between 19 and 26 games (depending if play Giants) that I have to watch the local broadcast, though I don't mind as I like the A's guys. so, I am paying that to watch what should be 140 or so games a year, which I am willing to do, except, this season, at least 5-10 so far have been on Apple TV or Prime, which means I can't watch those. Now, if I am paying MLB to watch those games in their package, why do I now have to pay for 2 other streaming services to get my games. Shouldn't, at that point, MLB be able to broadcast those games? sorry, rant over, sore spot. Especially since I know the Angels games have been put on there in hopes they happen to hit on the night Ohtani is pitching.

16 hours ago, slikmar said:

Don't get me started on the MLB thing. I basically pay them $150 a year, appx, to watch my team play. there are between 19 and 26 games (depending if play Giants) that I have to watch the local broadcast, though I don't mind as I like the A's guys. so, I am paying that to watch what should be 140 or so games a year, which I am willing to do, except, this season, at least 5-10 so far have been on Apple TV or Prime, which means I can't watch those. Now, if I am paying MLB to watch those games in their package, why do I now have to pay for 2 other streaming services to get my games. Shouldn't, at that point, MLB be able to broadcast those games? sorry, rant over, sore spot. Especially since I know the Angels games have been put on there in hopes they happen to hit on the night Ohtani is pitching.

MLB's rights assignments are simply getting messier all the time.  They need to completely reconsider their blackout rules, IMO.  Exclusive rights were relatively limited...Sunday Night Baseball, Fox's game of the week, one or two on ESPN.  But now, there are far more...some with exclusive rights, others not.

There's also the flip side, that's burned me for a LONG time.  It was somewhat worse in the past;  right now it's Arizona, Houston, Texas.......and San Diego.  El Paso to Arlington is 600+ miles.  To Houston, about 750.  Those are...somewhat understandable.  To San Diego, tho, its over 700...and there's no connections whatsoever.  There is no basis, IMO, for the blackout.

And far as I can tell, I can't even pay to get Bally Sports SW or San Diego on XFinity.  Doesn't matter.  They're still blacked out.  Wasn't that long ago that you could get many of em, but they're rare now.  It's rights fees, we can safely assume, but with the explosion of streaming, that'll only get worse.

TdF:  Vingegaard is looking way too solid.  Pogacar's team really doesn't look like they can hang.  For Jumbo Visma, van Aert led the charge on the 2nd climb before falling back late-ish, then Kuss led out.  Pogacar tried a couple attacks...but Vingegaard stayed with him and Kuss clawed his way back.

Pidcock won handily.  Meintjes did great for 2nd, and Froome showed he's still got stages in him.  Powless was the last breakaway survivor.  Then Tadej, Ving, Thomas, Mas, and Kuss.  After that...6 seconds, another 10 seconds, Yates another 20 seconds, Gaudu another 16, Quintana another 27.  Ving has 2 minutes on everyone;  2-6 are separated by about 2 minutes.  After that it's Pidcock, who has stated he's got no GC interest, 3 1/2 minutes further back, and Mas over 5 minutes back of Gaudu in 7th.  So it seems very unlikely that anyone from outside the top 7 has any chance.

I'm sure the winner will be noted by our esteemed Fuzzy Wuzzy, but the GC is taking a day off today...as much as they can on this:

de24f

But they're just letting a 23 man breakaway go.  This may change.  And apparently Vingegaard and Pogacar did some charging;  Caleb Ewan got dropped hard, early, partly likely as a result of a nasty crash yesterday, so he and 3 teammates are a full 10 minutes back of the peloton, and 24 minutes behind the breakaway.  Meintjes is in the breakaway, and as things are now, approaching the summit at the Cote de la Fage before the big descent and that ugly looking final climb, he's in position to leapfrog into the top 3 from 15th.

And next time it may be something different.  More fun that way.

The GC turned into a cat and mouse game on the final climb.  Pogacar tried, but Ving never even blinked.  OTOH, everyone else *did*.  17 seconds, just on that last stretch.  There's still 3 days in the Pyrenees, 2 of which are insane, but it's shaping up to be a 2 man race.

Intriguing stage tomorrow.

94cfb

Vande Velde is mentioning likely crosswinds, which is always disruptive.

This COULD be a sprint finish, but man, that kind of profile seems to scream breakaway.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Serena has nothing to be ashamed of if she does decide to hang up her racket. She is already one of the greatest tennis players of all time, regardless of gender. I suspect she could hold her own against most of the men on the tour, and even give Djokavic a run for his money.

Really gotta disagree with this.  Serve, pace and top spin FAR, FAR greater on the Men's tour.  McEnroe has guessed she'd rank about 700 on the Men's tour.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-the-williams-sisters-vs-karsten-braasch-the-world-no-203-destroyed-serena-williams-venus-williams-battle-sexes#:~:text=kidding me%3F'-,Men's tennis and women's tennis are two completely different sports,It's a different game."

Serena in an interview on Letterman in, I believe, 2013:

"For me, men's tennis and women's tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports," Williams said on the show. "If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes. No, it's true. It's a completely different sport. The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder, it's just a different game. I love to play women's tennis. I only want to play girls, because I don't want to be embarrassed."