How would you build a computer?

VRabubo

Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my brain around computers in Champions but won't be able to talk to my GM for a while who actually knows the system. So, fun challenge for those who want to help:

How would you build a 2020 personal computer (budget), a 2020 hacking computer (mid PT cost), or a super computer (high PT cost)? Bonus points for explaining features so this system learner doesn't accidently make something with huge ram but no memory or visa versa.

If its just a PC of standard modern style and abilities, I probably wouldn't charge points for it at all.  Generally speaking anything that is typical and ordinary for a person in the given setting (in this case, a modern person) such as a bed or a telephone or a personal computer is free.  Its only if the item is extraordinary or useful in combat that you're expected to pay points for it, such as a supercomputer you can wear on your wrist or an artificial intelligent like Jarvis in the Avengers.

The typical 2020 personal computer with internet connection only will cost real world money. It gives a simple roll to find information (and misinformation, but it is up to you to figure out which is which), and no roll to play off line games (and an ordinary System Operations roll to install online games). There is nothing prebuilt inside the computer itself which can tell misinformation from information. A hacker could use it to hack various systems, but it is not designed for hacking (-10 or smaller penalty depending on the gm).

Just a reminder. You don't actually need to pay character points for everything your character can do. In fact, if they actually can't do something most everyone can do and can't learn it calls for a Physical Complication instead. (Physical Complication: Computer Illiterate, All The Time, Slightly...most people don't know how to program but can learn how to manipulate a program to do what the program is designed to do anyways. The Computer Illiterate has a hard time doing exactly that.)

There are rules for building them, to be sure.  I have ignored them for years, and will continue to do so until some time after I am dead (I intend to haunt my books a bit before moving on).

As other have noted, if it is a normal everyday sort of thing, then you dont pay points for it.

So lets get to your "hacking computer."   I would start (and get lambasted for not following the letter of the rules, and then counter with I am following the spirit of the rules!   :lol: ) with skill levels as powers, buying levels only the skill bonuses I think puts it ahead of a "normal, everyday computer."  All comouters have eidetic memory and lightning calculator, for example.

so...   Security Systems plus 5 (or whatever seems right)

computer programing plus 5

Concealment (to cover your tracks; this one I would probably buy the whole skill, since any Concealment the character already has is likely not specifically Cyber-concealment.  If it is, then just buy some bonuses.)

Perhaps- and while it could be justified by a GM, I wouod be hard pressed to require it) some kind of computer-to-computer telepathy to represent forcibly removing data.  Again, I wouldn't, but there are GMs who believe that "if you can shoehorn it into the concept, then you absolutely must buy it."  In this case, however, I think programming (to break into systems and files) and concealment (to know where to look for the hidden gold) would cover it all quite nicely.

Take the total costs, add an appropriate focus limitation (if you can be deprived of the computer) and call it a day.

I might go so far as to borrow from the actual computer rules and divide by whatever the current discount is (one for five?  One for ten?) Before applying the Focus Limitation.

Done.  Computer.  Essentially, the light-up box is special effects for the skilks it facilitates.

1 hour ago, archer said:

Computers are cheaper in terms of points in early 1980's campaigns because they are bulky and immobile. :D 

Try the 1970's and before (the first computers were kinda used by the military durring WW2 and were the size of an entire room). A superhero brick could only carry a PART of a computer during those ages AND that PART was bulky and immobile.

Fixed; thanks.

Posting from a (_*(#$%^&&* touch screen, and while for years I have suspected that my autocorrect doesn't speak english, a suggestion earlier this evening has me absolutely terrified of it.

Anybody know how to train a droid spell check?  (I promise you, I have _never_ typed or voiced what it wanted to say, and I don't want that to slip out because I didn't catch the correction!)

On 2/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Fixed; thanks.

Posting from a (_*(#$%^&&* touch screen, and while for years I have suspected that my autocorrect doesn't speak english, a suggestion earlier this evening has me absolutely terrified of it.

Anybody know how to train a droid spell check?  (I promise you, I have _never_ typed or voiced what it wanted to say, and I don't want that to slip out because I didn't catch the correction!)

So is that a complication?  How many points is it worth?  😉

You typical PC will actually have a negative cost.  The computers in the Hero System can control machinery or weapons.   They have stats like, OCV, & DCV which your typical PC have not use for so could be bought down bought down.  Even after purchasing the basic requirements for a computer the cost will still be in the negative.

For a PC I would probably go with the following stats DEX 10, INT, 10, OCV 0, DCV 0, OMCV 0, DMCV 0 SPD 2.  Throw in Absolute Time Since, Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator and Radio Perception/Transmit (Internet Access).  That would leave you about 27 points to buy skills and programs before you reach 0 points.  A hackers Computer will not really be all that much different.  It will probably have a slightly higher INT and a few more skills, but it still is not going to cost any real points.

The only time I would actually make a character pay for a computer is if it is powerful enough to actually make a difference.  I could see allowing a character to purchase a computer as skill levels with a focus limitation.  That would be the best way to simulate a hacker's computer.