2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Those of you who don't have Prime and are unable to watch this "game" between the Little Ponies and the Other Little Ponies... you're not missing much.

Got together with some old work buds...we were hoping to have the game on in the backgroud.  The place didn't have Prime.

No loss.  Old Man's giving the game way too much credit.  I missed the entire first half but all indications are, this is *barely* better than Broncos-Niners.

EDIT:  and here we go again.  Hackett's gonna get RIPPED cuz he gets pushy and gets picked...leading enough time for a BAD Colts offense to get a tying FG.  I'll give Ryan a pass on that 3rd down, at least to some degree.  The refs blow the whistle when the Colts are at the line, and about the snap the ball with 3 seconds left on the play clock.  They order a player off the field, I presume related to possible concussion.  Turns out, the rule is to reset the play clock to 10 seconds...not 25.  No, I didn't know the rule either, as I've never seen the player pulled that late in the play clock.  Colts go back into a huddle, and yeah, delay is inevitable.  They might well have gone to the end zone anyway given the time, and they hit the chippy FG, so it didn't hurt.  Hackett's calls, OTOH...short FG is in hand to take the lead to 6 when the Colts have done *nothing* all game.  Defending the end zone is much simpler.  But no, we won't run out the clock.  We'll have another red zone turnover.  And on a *terrible* throw.

This game deserves to end in a tie, or alternately something like a pick-6.

Only other factor I haven't seen mentioned is ... there's a distinct impression in these parts that Wilson has lost a step, and he's not quite as able to avoid tacklers as he was earlier in his career.  That could be a familiarity-with-the-line issue rather than raw speed, so perhaps it overlaps with the analysis above.

OK, I'll go with that.

Broncos go for it on 4th and 1 with a chip shot FG to tie...but with only 2:40 left, it's highly likely that'd lead to a tie at best.  So I don't have a problem going for it.

And they even leave it in their gazillion-dollar QB's hands.

And he can't do it.

Broncos fail in the red zone AGAIN, and lose.

The question of the moment:  will the Bronco defense start giving up?

Second question:  does Russ really have anything left?

Tony Gonzalez comment...the Bronco offense is pathetic...and he's blaming Russ for a lot of it.

Richard Sherman is *losing* it in the post-game, due to the horrific execution.  Flashbacks of the SB.  It's entertaining.

But hey, it's the state of Colorado.  Clearly, there's a state-wide Football Skill Drain, Constant.  

I must say as someone in Seattle that it's hard to feel good about a team with two victories, both over teams with QBs who used to be in their division (obviously the NFC Wurst has been having QB issues), one against the ineptly-coached Broncos who gifted the game away in the last minute, and the other against the Etroit Lions where neither side showed anything like D. 

Still standing on my prediction of a 4-win season.

Wilson and the Broncos have now given us two of the most putrid, unwatchable, games   Two common denominators:  Wilson was incompetent in both, and inexplicable coaching moves were a massive factor.

At this point, the Wilson trade is playing out as the worst in NFL history.  Worse than Herschel Walker.  Worse than Ricky Williams.  All of them gutted the future...but here, the Broncos have gutted the present.  AND they're stuck with an impossible contract.

And this wasn't week 1.  I've said for a couple years:  the first 3-4 weeks of the season have little predictive quality;  they're the true preseason now, as teams really get their acts together.  But this was week 5, even if it's TNF.  And when an offense is THIS BAD consistently, I believe that is predictive.  Fine, things should improve, but when you're starting from disastrously bad, and you're already 1/3 of the way into the season, there's little real hope.

Another angle:  KJ Hamler lost his mind when Wilson failed to see him on the final play.  Multiple times during the game, Wilson's play was a huge problem.  So, is Wilson losing the locker room?  And the entire city?  And worse, the Broncos are stuck.  

I have to say I'm really disappointed in how the Broncos' season has turned out.  That team has oodles of talent on both sides of the ball and all they needed was solid QB play; on paper they should have contended for the division title.  Instead Hackett does not know which plays to call and Wilson does not know where his receivers are going to be.  I couldn't bear to pay close attention to the game, but I swear he missed every pass over ten yards.

Several other articles about how the game was called.  

Can anyone remember a game so universally, TOTALLY, ripped apart?  Other than Broncos-Niners?  And from a league perspective, the concern has to be the fact that this is the second BOMB!!! on a prime-time, standalone, national broadcast.  This is doing serious damage to the league, as part and parcel of the storyline of VERY BAD play that's swept through so much of the league this year.  Oh, and checking...guess what week 6's MNF is?

Broncos at Chargers.  ESPN has to be cringing.  TBS is probably chortling.  ALDS game 5's are both that Monday, so it's highly likely to have at least 1.  The Broncos will have lots of people looking for ANYTHING else.

SNF has the advantage of flexing teams.  Dec. 11th, it's KC at Denver.  Currently.  NOT gonna stay that way if things don't change markedly.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Sure, but I don't think Hackett is the only problem.  He might not even be the biggest problem.   Hackett's not the reason Wilson's throws are off target.

But a complete refusal to play Wilson in the preseason could be a factor.  New team, new coach, new offensive scheme.  No click.  Some of that has to be laid on Hackett's doorstep too.

Hackett's job security has to be...tenuous.  Losing is one thing, but being a laughingstock of such magnitude can't be tolerated.  If they lay another egg against the Chargers, I would honestly not be surprised if Hackett's fired before week 7.

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But a complete refusal to play Wilson in the preseason could be a factor.  New team, new coach, new offensive scheme.  No click.  Some of that has to be laid on Hackett's doorstep too.

Ah.  I hadn't noticed that.  So the integrated offense has had its preseason in the first four weeks of the actual season. 

Even in this era of knee-jerk reactionism in sports, I don't think anybody's going to fire a rookie head coach halfway through the first season. Doing so would set a terrible precedent and make it so much more difficult to recruit the guy who's eventually going to take Hackett's job. How badly do you want to work for a franchise who would fire you without even giving you a full season to demonstrate what you can do?

The Broncos have also been devastated by injuries this year. Yes, I know that that's a thing in the NFL, but the bug seems to have bitten the Broncos particularly badly. Maybe that has something to do with the offseason and preseason conditioning routines, I don't know. Hackett stated that he wanted to run things light in the preseason to keep the players fresh for the 17 game grind of the regular season. Maybe there's a reason nobody else does that.

In any case, the Broncos do look very much like a ship without a rudder at the moment. Offensively, they have no identity. Losing RB1, WR1, and LT1 certainly doesn't help in that respect. But the defense and kicking game have been exceptional. That's at least a place to start.

If it's necessary for Hackett to trim the playbook to fit the remaining personnel (and Wilson's inexplicable lack of production), then that's what he has to do. Look, John Fox won the division and a playoff game with Tim Tebow as his starting quarterback. The thing that will save Hackett's job, which also happens to be his biggest challenge right now, will be his ability to adapt from what he thought he wanted to do to what he can actually do with the people he has.

We'll see.

The Denver Broncos currently have over $72 million in salary sitting on the injured list:

Garett Bolles - $17 million

Justin Simmons - $15.1 million

Randy Gregory - $14 million

Ronald Darby - $9.82 million

Tim Patrick - $8.5 million

Tom Compton - $2.25 million

Greg Dulcich - $1.43 million

Javonte Williams - $1.06 million

M. Ojemudia - $1.04 million

J. bobenmoyer - $895,000

Christopher Allen - $460,000

Damarea Crockett - $455,000