2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

The neurologist who cleared Tua to play on Sunday against the Bills has been fired for making "several mistakes" in his evaluation.  Apparently the dude was employed by the NFL, not the Fins.  

No word on Tua's progress in his recovery, though surely he'll be held out at least a week after the disturbing hit on Thursday.

This was the independent neurologist, by the story.  Not sure who technically pays him, but his services can be dismissed by either the league or the PA.  Story said here, it was the PA.

One *could* take the cynical position that the doctor is being turned into a sacrificial lamb here, but also...not.  The simplest explanation is that the evaluations were BS/improper/incomplete/inadequate.  Take your pick, and multiple choices are allowed.  That said, that arguably opens the door for a malpractice assertion.  If the NFLPA really felt that "several mistakes" were made in the evaluation, it's plausible they'll pursue the matter.  It's not certain, because concussion evaluation isn't that cut and dried.  But it offers the most straightforward path.  The Fins might still share *some* of the blame, but most goes on the evaluations.  But that's also why, since it's largely a plausible and clean explanation, it's an easy one to abuse.

That said, I think the investigation is going to continue to a) ensure what's in place was followed, and b) if there are steps that are needed to avoid this happening again.

5 hours ago, slikmar said:

OH, and I am sure the undefeated Dolphins with Tua vs the 1 defeat Eagles with Hurts (whom Tua replaced at Alabama causing Hurts to transfer to OK) and the hpye that could surround that had NOTHING to do with the decision.

I don't understand this post.

Meanwhile there are rumors that the NFL and NFLPA will implement a new concussion protocol that could go into effect as soon as week 5.  Something about sitting a player if he demonstrates any "instability".  

That's a policy that nobody will like. The players won't like it because, let's face it, to be an NFL player you have to be ultra-competitive, and players are going to want to play. The owners and coaches won't like it, because it means sitting a superstar and potentially losing games as a result.

There is an old saying among my people: any solution that leaves everybody a little unhappy is probably a pretty good solution.

25 minutes ago, Pariah said:

That's a policy that nobody will like. The players won't like it because, let's face it, to be an NFL player you have to be ultra-competitive, and players are going to want to play. The owners and coaches won't like it, because it means sitting a superstar and potentially losing games as a result.

There is an old saying among my people: any solution that leaves everybody a little unhappy is probably a pretty good solution.

For the time being, the sentiment is STRONGLY on the side of safety.  Losing 1 game is massively preferable to a repeat of this incident.  

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

I don't understand this post.

Meanwhile there are rumors that the NFL and NFLPA will implement a new concussion protocol that could go into effect as soon as week 5.  Something about sitting a player if he demonstrates any "instability".  

Sorry, my conspiracy sarcasm was showing. I was hinting that a Dolphins/Eagles game would be much less hypeful without the 2 QBs who already have a built in prior event between them. It was a big deal when Tua replaced Hurts in the national title game as a freshman or red shirt freshman after Hurts got them there, then replaced him as the starting QB the following season until in, again, the national title game, Hurts replaced Tua. Following season, Tua again would start and Hurts transferred to Oklahoma.

12 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I don't want to see Tua play again this season. His injuries the last two weeks, and their cumulative effect, are terrifying. This provides another reason for responsible parents to tell their sons not to play football.

Yes.  Mr. P is right that players and coaches won't like it, but this is the league's interest:  protecting the game as a whole from the massive negativity.

4 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Sorry, my conspiracy sarcasm was showing. I was hinting that a Dolphins/Eagles game would be much less hypeful without the 2 QBs who already have a built in prior event between them. It was a big deal when Tua replaced Hurts in the national title game as a freshman or red shirt freshman after Hurts got them there, then replaced him as the starting QB the following season until in, again, the national title game, Hurts replaced Tua. Following season, Tua again would start and Hurts transferred to Oklahoma.

I don't think they care.  First, that was 3 years ago;  how many people remember?  And how many people cared?  This is the kind of pointlessness that sports talk radio loves the ruminate on endlessly.  And the 2 teams don't even play each other in the regular season.  

What the league cares about is headlines like this:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/albertsamaha/tua-tagovailoa-head-injuries-nfl

36 minutes ago, death tribble said:

That was too close. Vikings beat the Saints by a field goal with the Saints last play a field goal attempt to bring the scores level and take it into overtime.

WORSE.  The FG was a DOUBLE DOINK.  Hit the upright, hit the crossbar, bounced the wrong way.  No good.

Pressure has to be increasing on Tomlin to yank Trubisky.  Still the first half, but the Steeler offense has been anemic.  One OK drive, 10 plays, 42 yards for a FG, but 3, 4, and 3 plays then punt, a pick, and another punt after getting to midfield.  They get a roughing penalty, negating another pick, that lets them kick a 59 yarder so it's 10-6 at the half.  It's only close because it's the Jets, who are almost equally pathetic.  Neither team is on pace to reach 300 yards of offense.

And yes indeed, Trubisky got yanked at half time.  Steelers turn a pick into a touchdown, and Pickett has a 10 play, 80 yard drive for another.  Then the Steelers allow 14 points in the 4th and lose.

4th and goal at the 2...shotgun's not terrible when it's Lamar Jackson.  ANY other QB, and I'd agree with you.  Still, that's assuming you go for the TD, that's the bigger question.  

Oh, my.  We have the first major "No D in NFL" game of the year.  Detroit gets a late TD to draw within 3 with a minute left...48-45.  Over 1000 yards combined offense, almost 700 passing.  EDIT:  before the last possession for the Seahawks, after they got the onside kick...7 straight scoring possessions.  6 TDs and a FG.  The SHORTEST drive was the FG drive...68 yards.  Halfway through the 3rd it was 31-15, then both defenses gave up.  Detroit:  4 TDs with 2 successful 2 point conversions;  Seattle:  FG and 2 TDs.

Shucks and other such comments.

After the Debacle in the Desert, CBS switched the feed over to New England vs. Green Bay for the last few minutes of overtime. And as much as it irks me to cheer for the Patriots, the idea of Aaron Rodgers losing to a backup was too delicious to pass up.

So, two disappointments in 15 minutes.

I'm just looking at the box score on it, as I was getting GB-NE...yeah, Rodgers losing woulda been sweet...but looking at the box score, I'm seeing bad numbers.  Offense...4 straight nothing drives, albeit right after the injury.  3-11 on 3rd down.  Defense let the Raiders run 74 plays, 25 first downs, and 7-14 on third down.  

Power rankings...ESPN had Denver 12, NFL.com had em 14, CBS had em 14.  That was ALL based on the defense, the offense has been abysmal...and the defense had a poor game.  I personally think the offense is SO bad right now that they're somewhere around the mid 20s;  the defense has to be incredible to give them a chance.  And given that the Raiders were bottom quarter...yeah, the Broncos are gonna fall hard.

And, Old Man, puuuuhhhlllleease....we don't NEED a reason to blame you.