2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Today's joke from the Book of Face:

Q: What's the difference between the Chicago Bears and a pack of cigarettes?

A: Aaron Rodgers doesn't smoke cigarettes.

(Although, as one respondent pointed out, what he does smoke is anyone's guess....)

The Titans are pulling a Bungles...4 TOs.  Problem is, they're actually playing a quality team, so they're getting crushed.

Had that one on until just switching to the Eagles game...but scoreboard watching said the Eagles are just pummeling the Vikes, and what I'm seeing now doesn't dispute that at all.

Good news is that Dane Jackson has full movement in all extremities.  

EDIT:  and watching Cousins struggle *again*...got me to wondering about his stats.

The box score numbers are good.  The QB rating isn't bad.  The QBR, OTOH, is...not very good.  Which suggests lots of empty yardage.  Bit more browsing led me here:
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/7/4/22562665/total-qbr-ranking-nfl-qbs-by-the-statistical-company-they-keep

I think he makes an interesting argument.  Cousins, for example, is in that messy middle...he won't kill you that often (tonight being an exception), but he's not likely to lead you to victory (a la last week).  And good QB play doesn't equate to winning...Dak gets good grades, but the team's so bad. 

33 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Titans are pulling a Bungles...4 TOs.  Problem is, they're actually playing a quality team, so they're getting crushed.

Had that one on until just switching to the Eagles game...but scoreboard watching said the Eagles are just pummeling the Vikes, and what I'm seeing now doesn't dispute that at all.

Good news is that Dane Jackson has full movement in all extremities.  

Yeah that was a scary hit. Necks are not supposed to be that flexible.  

And always, always, always remember...friendly fire, isn't.

Obviously a complete accident...but it also shows why 

a)  the refs often call the late hit because it's dangerous

b)  leading with the crown is SOOO risky...in the more normal impact, the 3rd man in hitting the receiver, HIS neck could've compressed.

Yeah, it isn't quite as obviously grotesque as seeing a leg at 90 degrees, but it doesn't take a medical degree to recognize that a neck jarred back that much is a VERY BAD THING.  I suspect Jackson will be put into a neck brace for a couple weeks, if nothing else, just to keep it stable.  Let's hope there's no long-term consequences.

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Better idea.  WVU vs. Va Tech on ESPN.  Save yourself the torture.  After that's over, there's some baseball.  

There's likely to be torture anyway. I'm a WVU fan, and they're just not great this year. Plus, who knows what hideous outfit Va Tech will be wearing? 

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

There's likely to be torture anyway. I'm a WVU fan, and they're just not great this year. Plus, who knows what hideous outfit Va Tech will be wearing? 

Ahhhhhh....you can find it.

I don't recommend you do.  They're...pretty bad.  But not bumblebee-stripe throwback bad.  And that's just mild visual nausea;  watching Trubisky flounder is worse.  And the less said about That Other Team, the better.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm a WVU fan

Why do you do this to yourself?  (Said the Raiders fan.)

Looking over this weekend's slate... I'm not optimistic for any of us.  The Jest have a good pass D and pass rush, and that's not what the Bungles need right now.  The Derps are already banged up and go on the road to the Tits.  The Broncos are running out of receivers and corners and host the Neeners.  The Seahawks host the Falcons, who are not only superior birds of prey but also have a revamped defense.  And for their letdown game, the Jags go cross country to the Chargers, who have had ten days to prepare for them.

It's a necessary move, but also a very damning one.  It's affirmation that even the front office is realizing that Hackett isn't ready to be a head coach.  it also puts Hackett on notice:  he's got rope left, but there's NO!!! guarantee he'll be the coach next year.  I won't go so far as to predict he'll be fired during the season, but this is a clear "put up or shut up" move.

Yuck.  Games tomorrow:  Chiefs at Colts...line's only 5 and a hook, but it feels like it should be more.  Philly and Washington...no way.  Late slot is the Battle of the Bays.  There's only so much ring-kissing adoration I can take.  That'll be exceeded after 1 possession per team....