2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Ticket prices are obscene...but with only 8-9 home games, in-stadium capacity for one's team is sharply limited.  I'm still not sure that what the teams have been doing, won't generate enough fan alienation to cause problems.  There's complaints now, but they're still selling.  It's very early, but only a handful of teams have sold less than 95% of the seats:

--Dallas:  cost

--Vegas:  COST$$  (believe most expensive in league), bad performance, bad track record

--Detroit:  extensive bad history?  Local economy?

Those 3 are just under 95%.  Atlanta is 93%;  bad team that needs a complete rebuild.  Preseason win total was 4.5, tied for lowest in the league with the Texans.  Washington is at 90.7%;  bad team, bad owner, terrible off-season publicity.  And Jacksonville's at 86%.  Continuing fallout from Urban Meyer fiasco?  Incompetent upper management? 

Conversely, 13 teams have been at 100% capacity or higher;  6 of those have had 2 home games, so it's not just, say, an opening day surge.  Chicago and Baltimore are at 99.8%. 

If I'd said a month ago that tonight's game (Dolphins at Bengals) would feature one undefeated team and one team with a losing record, you probably would have believed me.

If I'd said that the Dolphins would be the undefeated team, you've laughed me out of the building.

Such is the NFL.

3 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Wish it was being shown on a non streaming service. Really hoping this goes by the wayside, but probably won't.

Amazon's deal for TNF runs 11 years.

After that, there's a decent chance there'll be more clarity on the future of cable vs. broadcast vs. streaming.  And whether Amazon's approach is viable, versus a standalone approach like Disney+.  BUT:  Amazon Prime as 160+ million subscribers, which beats everyone but Netflix...and might be passing them, as Netflix has been losing subscribers.  It's larger than Disney+.  Given that ESPN has MNF, I can readily see Disney+ pushing for TNF...but streamed, as another magnet offering to their collection.

I am not sure that the 4 OTA networks want TNF.  It's a pain.  It disrupts their fall scheduling to a considerable degree, and it's never had better than intermittent ratings.  ESPN could;  their live sports offerings are *sparse* these days.  (ESPN2 did a Federer-Nadal marathon a couple days ago, for example;  last night was mostly ESPN Films stuff.)  But I don't think Disney wants to spend money...not as bad as Warner/Discovery, but bad enough.  And the NFL's expensive.

I just read a thing suggesting that Raiders coach J*** McD****** "is in a tight race with Nathaniel Hackett for worst HC in the NFL". 

I mean, I know the Raiders are 0-3 right now, but that still seems a little harsh.

I guess this weekend will sort it all out. Imagine my joy.

51 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I just read a thing suggesting that Raiders coach J*** McD****** "is in a tight race with Nathaniel Hackett for worst HC in the NFL". 

I mean, I know the Raiders are 0-3 right now, but that still seems a little harsh.

I guess this weekend will sort it all out. Imagine my joy.

I expect they're lumping in that DISASTROUS 2nd season in Denver.  And for much the same reason:  the belief back then was, he was over his head/not ready.  Well, here we *should* be able to remove the "not ready" side, so we're left with........

Plus, the Broncos have 2 wins.  Somehow.  That deflects a lot of heat.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Ok, Tua is definitely concussed this time...the fingers splayed like that was hard to watch.  Let's make sure we handle this one correctly, Miami.

Yeah, I caught the fingers live, and on the replay it's REALLY obvious.  Al's relaying their trainer's note...it's a neurological response to head trauma.  So...yeah, concussion.

And this is gonna make the NFLPA rise up in arms, and SERIOUSLY!!!! add fuel to the fire about last week.  

I have to think the Fins won't let him back onto the field, with that shot of the fingers.  

EDIT:  at the hospital, which is already saying they're taking it a couple levels more seriously.  Head and neck injuries.  Just reported at halftime, he can move all his extremities.  

EDIT 2:  showed the play again just now.  The scariest part to me is the whiplash.  

Depends on the odds I could've gotten.

A part of me is hoping that it's determined that the effects were more severe than normal, likely due to the impact Sunday.  And if that's the case?  IF!!!! it was a cover-up, then everyone involved needs to be fired.  Coach, perhaps not, as he might well not know.  But medical staff and GM at least.  Massive fine against the team...as large as can be allowed.  Lose ALL draft picks.  Granted, that's unlikely.  More likely, it was closer to a nod and a wink, and the med staff has to go...forever.  Bar them for life.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

NOT to downplay, but the stridency here is from a very partisan source.  This is a huge issue, but inflammatory rhetoric doesn't help anyone.

The concussion protocol helps the league's PR only to the extent that it's executed with safety being the first priority.  The hit Sunday shook that...again, for many...and the shot of those fingers splayed so grotesquely blows that to smithereens.  In the court of public opinion, I suspect the Fins still had the benefit of the doubt, but now, I think they're completely on the hook to PROVE, if at all possible, that Tua was legitimately OK to return Sunday.