2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

- Looks like the NFL will just wash it's hands of Aaron Donald being a nutjob and wildly swinging a weapon at unprotected heads in the Rams-Bengals joint practice the other day.

- Bills release Matt Araiza...odd that they were briefed by the alleged victim's lawyers about a month ago on the situation, then release a different punter a couple weeks later as if they were going to keep Araiza.  Yet now they choose to let him go.  Hmmm.  <sarcasm>

League's policy is that whatever happens in practice, is left to the team to discipline.  That includes practice against another team.  

Donald didn't really do anything that doesn't happen from time to time, when teams hold joint practices.  Heck, sometimes just during normal practices.

Yeah, the Bills GM isn't looking smart.  He's claiming the severity wasn't really explained...but if one is briefed by the guy's lawyer, you MUST assume you're getting a highly sanitized account.  That's the lawyer's job.  But hey, what's the NFL without domestic violence or inappropriate conduct charges?  Funniest thing in the PFT comments:  do the Browns need a punter?

Trying to out-Raider the Raiders, I see.  Well it isn't going to work.

Robinson had won the starting RB job in camp and was undoubtedly looking forward to his first regular season NFL game.  It sounds like his injuries are not life threatening; it remains to be seen whether they threaten his career.

Actually, read the story.  Report is, this wasn't letting Watson off easier, this may have been sticking it to the Browns the most.

“If Watson was banned for the year, his contract would have rolled over into 2023, and the Browns would have had him for an extra season—through the 2027 season,” King wrote. “By Watson playing part of this season, his contract now expires after the 2026 season, and the Browns will owe him $40 million for being eligible to play a meager six games in 2022. The way NFL contracts work is if a player doesn’t play in a season because he either chooses to sit out or is suspended for the year, the contract “tolls,’’ or is pushed back one season.”

So this could well be more about sticking it to Haslem for that contract structure...and for the optics of giving Watson such an obscene deal.  Also figure, being suspended for the full season, as it turns out, would not have hurt Watson at all.  So...hey, maybe that rationale is accurate. 

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So this could well be more about sticking it to Haslem for that contract structure...and for the optics of giving Watson such an obscene deal. 

Haslem deserves to be punished for this. The whole letting the Browns off a little angle is BS. Don't try to save him from this stupid ass contract. Force him to deal with the full consequences. Of course, the tolling aspect just makes it so much worse. 

44 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

The Jags just traded last year's best receiver, Laviska Shenault, to the Carolina Panthers.

No word yet on what they received for him. 

I fear the worst. 

listed as "undisclosed draft compensation"...and probably not that much.  ESPN article notes he was 2nd in drops, and has a history of running the wrong routes, which is just inviting an INT to happen.  Also sounds like it's an insurance trade.  

43 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Sam Darnold!

The Panthers would have to pay someone to take Darnold off their books.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Well, the Broncos paid Seattle to take Drew Lock off their hands, so....

Pocket change.  His contract is about $1.5M with only $100K guaranteed.  Darnold's is over $18M, salary and cap hit.  Fully guaranteed.  And arguably, he's got the more strongly established pattern of failure....and yes, I realize that's saying something when comparing to Lock.

Five years, $165M guaranteed.

Russell Wilson contract extension: Broncos QB gets deal worth $245M before first season in Denver, per report

I hope the new ownership group budgeted enough to buy him a decent O-line. We all know what happened in Seattle.

Now I understand why Denver cut P Sam Martin, who was scheduled to make more than $2M, in favor of what's-his-name for only ~$800K.

33 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Five years, $165M guaranteed.

Russell Wilson contract extension: Broncos QB gets deal worth $245M before first season in Denver, per report

I hope the new ownership group budgeted enough to buy him a decent O-line. We all know what happened in Seattle.

Well, if they are like the Rams and can structure things each off-season for their convenience, they can delay, seemingly indefinitely, that kind of pinch.  There are private speculations that the Squawks would have found a way to keep RW and improve the team around him if the ownership wasn't an estate trust.

There’s not one person who woke up at any point this summer saying “I sure hope the Seahawks defense will play at the level it did under Ken Norton Jr.”  Except for the NFC West rivals, I suppose.

=======================

Intended as a separate post, but it'd get merged

$1 billion spent by teams on people who won't suit up in Week 1

Includes cap hits from players no longer with the team etc., guys on IR and PUP, non-football outages, suspensions.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

I heard on the radio that it was a 7 year deal. Which would keep him till he's 40.

He's skilled enough to do it, but is he rugged enough?

It's 5 years with 2 option years, so...it's probably about right, if those option years aren't guaranteed.

The Broncos gave him a massive signing bonus.  Not sure how that'll play out over time, in terms of cap hit...but his 2022 cap number is a mostly-friendly $24M.  That's 7th among QBs.  Not cheap, no, but with the cap higher, it's not a crushing burden.  Cap hit next year is listed as $27M at Sportrac, but they didn't have details beyond that at this point.

27 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Fun to consider:

Ranking the NFL teams most likely to go from worst to first in 2022

The article says that the Broncos have gone worst to first more times than any other team in the NFL. I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or not. :think:

That's because they love inflicting MAXIMUM torture on you.  There's probably a pic of you decorating a dart board somewhere in the front office, or perhaps a voodoo doll, and meetings to decide what to do THIS year to you....