2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Now that the Jags are out from under the weight of Urban Meyer, it could happen.

I'll say it so Logan doesn't have to.
Meyer was the symptom.  The disease is Shad Khan.

Which gets me thinking...it'd be amusing, to a degree, to do a broad poll...worst owner in US sports.  With a few rules:

--can't count the Seahawks, as the fact that the club's stuck in Probate Hell means they can't act

--can't vote for a home town owner.  Too biased there;  everyone always thinks their disaster's the worst.

--can't vote for Jerry Jones.  He's too visible, too obvious.  Well, unless we wanna make it ranked voting...pick your top 3.  THEN you can.

Of course, even trying to do a filter to keep the list of candidates to manageable size would be hard, as sooo many qualify..........

Can I vote for the rotting corpse of Al Davis? It still feels like he's running that franchise.

Having said that, I am going to ignore rule #2 and vote for the Monforts and the way they're mismanaged the Colorado Rockies for the past 20 years or so.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

I thought it was well established the Dan Snyder was the worst owner, not just incompetent but a garbage human being as well. 

Yeah, this. Although on that front, the owners of the Cleveland Browns are rapidly making up lost ground.

2 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

I think James L Dolan has this one locked up.

I dunno, it's not clear that he's even the worst owner of a New York-based NBA franchise...

Oh, wait, the Russian guy got enough money laundering done and sold the team.  But that was before the start of the '19 season, so we can put the Kyree debacle on the new guy's shoulders.  The combined track record...might rival Dolan's, but the new guy hasn't had long enough to mess up to the same degree.  Give him time.

Oh wait...blame Mr. P.  I gotta see your residency man...are u a New Yorker?  Gonna haveta cancel this vote if you are....

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

The guy finally earns a starting job, and then...

Cardinals starter to miss games after suffering gruesome burns in cooking accident that was almost 'deadly'

Helpful advice: When the article offers to let you click a link to see the guy's injuries, don't. 

They don't go into details about how it happened, but deep frying a turkey results in some very serious accidents every year.  Hot oil is never something to take lightly.  The good news is, while they're painful as heck, they're not that extensive and should heal without problems.

Still going, but it's a foregone conclusion at this point, with the Bills up 21 halfway through the 4th, and the Rams overall getting very badly outplayed.  Aaaannnddd....Stafford throws another pick by trying to dump a ball short but getting it batted.

That said, it's week 1.  Good win for the Bills, as a road game, as one of their tough games (division winner vs. division winner).  Rams have to be worried, tho, that a notable concern was the domino effect of losing Miller, and, yeah, the pass rush hasn't been impactful.

Sloppy game, as expected.  7 turnovers to this point, with 5 minutes left.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Speaking of wake-up call...Steelers 17, Bengals 3, halfway through the 2nd.  Bengals have 3 TOs already, leading to 17 Steeler points on barely 100 yards of offense.

The Super Bowl hangover may be a real thing, eh?

Mainly just Burrow.  He was not sharp at all until 4th quarter.  Still leads a game tying drive with no time left. Both defenses have been excellent.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

This Bungles-Steelers game is great.  Two missed FG in OT.

Yeah, Bengals lost their long snapper and have had 2 bad snaps resulting in a block and a bad kick.  Steelers have lost Watt who had been unstoppable.

One of those years?  Colts-Texans end in a 20-20 tie.  Browns kick a LATE FG to win.  Falcons blow a 16 point 4th quarter lead, letting the Saints move 47 yards in about 30 seconds to kick a 50 yarder for the game winner.

But not 2 ties.  Boswell BOOMS a long one...high and straight and gorgeous.

EDIT:  I just noted that Houston blew a 17 point 4th quarter lead....

Jags finally came alive in the second half, and even took the lead in the final minutes. There is reason to be optimistic. We saw a lot of flaws, but we saw a lot of highs, too. There is reason to be optimistic. 

We didn't really expect a win, but it would have been nice. Still, There is reason to be optimistic.

Spoiler

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF

38 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Mainly just Burrow.  He was not sharp at all until 4th quarter.  Still leads a game tying drive with no time left. Both defenses have been excellent.

Yeah, Bengals lost their long snapper and have had 2 bad snaps resulting in a block and a bad kick.  Steelers have lost Watt who had been unstoppable.

Steelers lost Watt and Harris… costly game for them. 

58 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Steelers lost Watt and Harris… costly game for them. 

Oh dear.  Report is a torn pec on Watt;  more tests probably tomorrow.  Yeah, my memory says, those don't heal fast...and PFT notes it's usually season-ending.  That does hurt, he's a cornerstone of that defense.

In other news....yeah, Mahomes is really missing Tyreek Hill.  His numbers are terrible.

(Note to all DFS players...take Mahomes in the opening game next year.  The heck with the price tag.  5th opening game.  17 TDs...at least 3 in every game...and 0 picks.)

23 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Well, the Broncos didn't lose today. That's something, anyway. 

That'll be corrected shortly.

Cowboys are in the cellar by themselves.  Completely flat on offense...and Dak has to exit late 4th, with a throwing hand injury.  He heads off to the locker room, presumably for imaging.  The defense gave up too many yards...yeah, ultimately forcing 4 FGs isn't bad, but way too many yards on the ground.  Another massive concern...9 penalties.  

And Green Bay lost too.  So overall, quite a nice first week.