2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Free agency and salary caps have made talent stockpiling all but impossible.  Comment about the 80's Cowboys?  Their second team would make the playoffs.  Those days are dead.

1st round picks, especially the highest ones, also get some *fat* contracts:

2022 NFL Draft first-round picks contract values

1. Georgia defensive end Travon Walker, Jaguars: $41,465,408

2. Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson, Lions: $39,603,429

3. LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr., Texans: $38,418,555

4. Cincinnati cornerback Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, Jets: $37,064,375

5. Oregon defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux, Giants: $34,694,577

6. North Carolina State defensive end Ikem Ekwonu, Panthers: $30,462,810

7. Alabama offensive tackle Evan Neal, Giants: $27,077,395

8. Southern Cal wide receiver Drake London, Falcons: $23,691,980

9. Mississippi State offensive tackle Charles Cross, Seahawks: $23,522,517

10. Ohio State wide receiver Garrett Wilson, Jets: $22,591,714

11. Ohio State wide receiver Chris Olave, Saints: $21,152,921

12. Alabama wide receiver Jameson Williams, Lions: $19,121,660

13. Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis, Eagles: $18,613,852

14. Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton, Ravens: $17,767,500

15. Texas A&M guard Kenyon Green, Texans: $17,428,979

Lot of that is signing bonus...Walker's was $24M.  Still, it's pressure to get them producing ASAP.  Couple that with the fact first-round QBs often are going to teams with severely limited QBs in the first place, and it's viewed as a crisis point anyway.  There's no denying that QB is enormous, but fans overvalue it, treating like an instant fix, when it's not.

51 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Remember when it was common for rookie QBs, even first rounders, to sit for a year and learn and watch?

Yeah, Aaron Rodgers did this. So there's at least one example still living.

And if Jordan Love takes over as the Packers' starter next year, there'll be two.

I just read that Russell Wilson has passed the concussion protocol, but the Broncos have decided to sit him on Sunday anyway.

Good.

Let's face it, the rest of the season is garbage time for the Broncos. No need to risk Russell Wilson's health. Honestly, I think we should probably sit in for the rest of the year. Let him get figured out whatever he needs to and try again next August.

In the meantime, let's see what the youngsters have. Let's see what we got on our second and third strings. Let's see who's worth keeping for next year.

So I'm looking for the latest line on the game, with Wilson out.  From Covers.com:

The Cardinals and Broncos have been two of the NFL's biggest duds this season, and their Week 15 clash should only produce more boredom for fans and bettors alike.

Ouch.....

The line has narrowed, it's mostly Denver -1.5, rather than -2.5 to -3.  The O/U hasn't really changed, but it was pretty low anyway.

Meanwhile, the first game of the day is almost ready to start.  Prepare for overload.  

OK, this has officially become the most absolutely disgusting game in HISTORY.  Because the freaking Colts just one-upped the Vikes in the second half.  

Yeah, OK, Buffalo-Houston was a playoff game but it was only 32.  But it's the only game that might rival this one for, IMO, utter ineptitude.

EDIT:  and IMO the Great Saturday Experiment just flopped.  Maybe it's not fair but a team that BLOWS A 33 POINT HALFTIME LEAD...that's on the head coach.  

Are you freakin' kidding me?!

Down 33-0 at halftime, the Vikings outscored the Colts 39-3 in the second half and overtime. Unbelievable.

And Matt Ryan is now on the wrong end of both the biggest second half comeback and the biggest Super Bowl comeback in NFL history.

The second half fizzles of the Colts' offense:

4 plays, 14 yards, punt

excellent, probably stupid kickoff return gives the ball at the 40;  6 plays, 26 yards, FG

3 plays, 3 yards, punt (1:06)

4 plays, 15 yards, punt

3 plays, 2 yards, punt (less than a minute)

4 plays, 14 yards, fumble

5 plays, 20 yards, punt (24 seconds)

The defense started the second half by giving up drives of 88, 75, and 61 yards, in less than 9 minutes total.  The tying TD was a swing pass to Dalvin Cook, who took it 64 yards on what was likely a defensive bust...Cook leaked out with NO ONE close and got a major head of steam going before he was challenged.

What happened was...the NFL in 2022.  Vikes had some terrible decisions and played abysmally in the first half;  Colts returned the favor in the second.  I figure the Vikes will drop in the power rankings, and their odds of playoff success have to be dropping.  

Think?  Trying?

Largest blown lead of ALL TIME.  There is no try, there is only do.  They did.

OK, true, this is the worst single-game performance ever, but there is something to be said for how the Raiders have raised it to a repeatable artform.  

The initial question of interest for week 18 might not be who gets the last couple playoff spots, but just which coach gets fired first.  We gots the Colts, Cards and Broncos at least, who might well can their coach before they get to their postgame interviews.  Raiders?  The rumors are McDaniel won't get fired, so one has to think he won't get fired that fast.  Then again, this is a Davis we're talking about...

So far 3 in, and 4 staring at elimination.  Indy is eliminated if 2 of the 4 7-6 teams win;  Rams and Cards are hanging by a fingertip.  Lose, they're out.  Saints lose, they can't get a WC, and if Tampa Bay also wins, they can't win the division.  Dallas will also clinch a berth with a win, or a loss by Detroit or Washington.  <sigh>

I think I am rather grateful for the Snowball Fight on Deviantart that I missed what was happening. I saw Logan Destructive Hurricanes remark. When I sae the scores it had come back to 36 all. But they won ?

Coming back from that much of a deficit is unheard of in my experience of watching and hearing about the game.

Thanks to unclevlad and Logan Destructive Hurricanes for the kind remarks. I appreciate it.

But sympathy to Pariah as I know Denver has been stuffed and not come back from it so seeing and hearing about this is pretty galling at best for him. And sorry if I reminded you of it.

Oh, they're trivial to forget.  Can you assert a) they were bad calls, or b) the score would've happened without it?  And even in b)...fine, stop being stupid.  

Another one of THOSE WEEKS, tho.  Cowboys-Jags and Chiefs-Texans go to OT????  Never woulda thunk those.  If the Jags can finish it off...oh, my, that would be SWEET.

The Seahawks are still showing ahead of the Lions, but assuming there's no tie, the loser of NY-Wash, Seattle, and Detroit will be separated by half a game with 3 to play, for the last WC slot.  The NY-Wash winner will be in very good shape;  they'll have the tiebreaker over the loser who'll be a game back, and a game and a half over the 7-7's.  

And assuming Cincy holds on...and the Bucs have been in torpor on offense in the 2nd half...the NFC South will have 1 game separating 1st and 4th.  The division's combined record against opponents outside the division?  12-26.

Worst news for Mr. P?  The Bronco offense might actually have been...somewhat competent for a change.  Box says they ran the heck out of the ball.  The problem?  This might take some of the heat off Hackett.  

More craziness.  Titans and Raiders both score tying TDs inside a minute left.  OTOH, Cincy just slammed the door shut.  

Titans let the Chargers drive 52 yards in 40 seconds, with no time outs, to kick the game winner.

Meanwhile, the Raiders win on a play that simply CANNOT be described.  I have NEVER, EVER seen it before.  YOU MUST FIND THE HIGHLIGHT.

It's the most Raideresque play EVER...it makes the Immaculate Reception look planned.  But the Raiders are on the plus side.

Wow.  Titans and Pats become major losers on the day.  And y'know who ELSE is only a game out?  Jacksonville!!!!

2 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Unbelievable and completely bonehead play just gave the Raiders the win over the Patriots

Somewhat reminiscent of Jim Marshall running the wrong way.

You guys need to see it.  Because he's underselling it.

The only comparable plays that come to mind are from SVP's Bad Beats.  This might make it, but perhaps not, as the game *should have* gone to OT.

Belichick had to have lost his mind.