2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

I didn't watch too much of Bucs-Neeners, but I did see Brady going full Karen on his teammates and abusing a Microsoft Surface®.  So I got my money's worth.

Love to see Mr. Irrelevant kick some ass in his first NFL start.  He doesn't even rate a full treatment in this season's Football Outsiders Almanac; his blurb ends with this observation: "If he sees the field at all for San Francisco, something has gone horribly wrong."  He sure passed the eye test today.

Started Jerry Jeudy in my fantasy league for probably the first time in three months, and only because I have too many Bears and Commies and they're all on bye.  It is better to be lucky than good.

Oh dear.  3 plays in, Kyler Murray goes down with a non-contact injury.  Drops back, doesn't see anything, starts scrambling around the right side.  Makes 5 or so yards, tries a cut...and goes down.  And doesn't get up.

He's going off on the cart.

Offhand, I don't know of any relatively *minor* injuries that ever seem to happen in a case like that.  Kobe's blown Achilles, some type of torn ligament, and probably not a partial tear.  

Very unfortunate.

EDIT:   Lisa Salters reports Murray is sobbing;  Cards are calling it a knee injury.  Combine those, and it would seem rather safe to say his season's over.

EDIT 2:  initial diagnosis is reported to be ACL.  An MRI will be forthcoming.  

Ewww.  This is truly Kingsbury starring in a remake of The Nightmare Before Christmas.  He played for Mike Leach for 3 years.  

I think he's probably gone once the season's over, particularly if the belief is Murray's recovery will run on the long side.  There's also a plausible question about the GM there.  Signing Murray to that deal was questionable from the standpoint of his injury history, altho I must concede there might be a bit of hindsight there.

The writer on FanDuel is picking Arizona, but I think that's on the presumption that Wilson is out, from his concussion.  O/U is 36.5...I'd take the under, because I think it'd be a decent bet if Wilson plays, and a very good bet if he doesn't.  No Murray, no Wilson...the defenses could potentially outscore the offenses.  13-9 or so...?  USA Today is showing No Line.

This is the weekend the NFL promotes themselves...3 games on Saturday, NFL Network only.  And one of em probably ticks off the other networks...Miami-Buffalo Saturday night.  That's a big game...if it's reasonably playable.    Buffalo, at night in mid-December.  Tua and cold weather don't mix;  Fins had sideline heaters out for a game in the 50s.  Might be over fast.  That said, the forecast is for at least near freezing, which is more than one can say for some other games, like Chicago and Green Bay.  

Huh...y'know why we love watching a game at Lambeau this time of year?  Take your pick:
--we're sadistic, and love watching fools and idiots freeze their tails off

--we love feeling the smug superiority because WE are smart enough to be comfy and warm inside, thank you!!!

--we love to see the smarmy, smug, smart-ass athletes reduced to bumbling cretins by the cold

--we have an old-school gladiator mentality, and playing in these conditions is largely the last satisfaction we can get

Or, of course:

e.  All of the above.

EDIT:  samplings from NFL.com's power rankings...

Raiders, #18...The Raiders have now blown four games this season in which they had a multi-score lead in the second half. This latest setback was the true debacle, however, one that could potentially be pointed to as a catalyst for change for an organization stuck in neutral.

Packers, WRT Aaron Rodgers..."We made a big commitment to him this offseason, so that was obviously something that was really important to us," he said of the three-year, $150 million contract Rodgers signed last March. "But like we've talked about in the past, this is something we'll sit down with him after the season and it will be something we do together and move forward that way." Hmmmm.

Falcons... Turning to a completely untested third-round pick in the middle of December is the type of gamble a team takes when it has no other recourse. Good luck, kid.

Why many are expecting Kingsbury to be fired

Arizona...Arizona had no choice but to trudge on after that devastating gut punch, but the team was undone by the same issues we've seen all season: too many penalties, sloppy execution and a general listless vibe that's come to define the Kliff Kingsbury era in Arizona.

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Congrats!

Ummm...even for you, man....ok, you get to see your team, but you still have to suffer through......the Cowboys!!!

Ya gotta understand, too, that Bronco fans *loathe* the Cowboys.  Super Bowl history and all that.

But Mr. P, especially if Wilson's out, it's likely to be a *horrible* game.  Prop bet...more total points or total punts?   Hmm....  Could be close.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

But Mr. P, especially if Wilson's out, it's likely to be a *horrible* game.  Prop bet...more total points or total punts?   Hmm....  Could be close.

And this is different than the rest of the Broncos' season how...?

I am seriously impressed with Brock Purdy.  Lots of little things, numerous cases of making a little something out of nothing, without risk, or turning a bad play into a neutral one.  The run to get the first down just before the 2 minute warning was a nice read, and a good slide, with ball extension when it was safe to do so.  Got the first that more or less seals the deal.  And gets the Niners into the playoffs...NOT anyone's choice to be the first team to clinch a division.