Powering Devices Personally

This concept seems reasonable to me, but I've not seen it anywhere -- and I don't know why. Here goes...

We've got two different power constructs I'm looking at:

1. The character can act as a "conduit" between a power source and a device needing power. The ultimate universal converter -- they can connect to wall current, or a battery, or a turbine, and use it to power something (like a laptop, or a 40w phased plasma rifle -- without needing a physical connection between the two things. They might need to touch one or the other, or possibly both, but that would be fiddly Limitations TBD later; the point would be the base concept here.
  2. Related to this, the character can act as the power source itself, not needing to be a conduit. This would most likely be the more expensive option.

Anyone have suggestions here? I've thought about Reduced Endurance (0 END) as a Naked Advantage, but it's not exactly right -- the power source is being tapped, so a battery would be drained.

Regarding option 2, why not just use the character's personal Endurance to fuel the Powers Focused in a device?

I've done this with a character with Mental Powers, who can channel his "psionic energy" through a technological weapon for more physical feats.

A variation of this concept could apply to option 1, by giving the character an Endurance Reserve and Limiting the Reserve, or just its Recovery, to having to be near another source of energy.

EDIT: If you mean, as the posts below me imply, you want the character to do this for any device, including Foci only used by someone else, please ignore this post.

Perhaps the Naked Advantage (+1/4) or the character's own END if the goal is only to be able to use the device yourself.  AID or Heal END Reserve REC if you want to recharge devices for later use.  Variation 1 might require a power source nearby or in contact (picture the character drawing power from a nearby electrical line and channelling it to the Power Armor character in combat some distance away).

22 hours ago, Black Rose said:

This concept seems reasonable to me, but I've not seen it anywhere -- and I don't know why. Here goes...

We've got two different power constructs I'm looking at:

1. The character can act as a "conduit" between a power source and a device needing power. The ultimate universal converter -- they can connect to wall current, or a battery, or a turbine, and use it to power something (like a laptop, or a 40w phased plasma rifle -- without needing a physical connection between the two things. They might need to touch one or the other, or possibly both, but that would be fiddly Limitations TBD later; the point would be the base concept here.
  2. Related to this, the character can act as the power source itself, not needing to be a conduit. This would most likely be the more expensive option.

Anyone have suggestions here? I've thought about Reduced Endurance (0 END) as a Naked Advantage, but it's not exactly right -- the power source is being tapped, so a battery would be drained.

You are making your life hard by approaching this from the user end of the equation.

In case one or two, the device must be Universal or it can't be used by anyone but the purchaser. 

In case one, the simplest way is to plug the device in or run it off an END Reserve. If it and only if these options are unavailable , you need to have a (N)PC purchase END or an END Reserve usable at range. You can then Limit that by saying it needs to come some outside source.

Case two is simply RAW. You'd need to write up the Limitations that stopped the user from using his personal END or END Reserve. 

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Yeah, I'm basically hearing Aid to END Reserve, objects only.  Feels like the rest is overthinking it.

The only thing about the END Reserve (if your doing RAW) is that each power has to pay extra for being able to draw it from the Reserve or Personal.

22 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

The only thing about the END Reserve (if your doing RAW) is that each power has to pay extra for being able to draw it from the Reserve or Personal.

Not an issue.  That's why it's an Aid to END Reserve.

Say the power's a straightforward Blaster Rifle with a power setting that equates to dice of damage.  So it's a (max) 10d6 ED Blast, with an END Reserve (call it 60 END, 0 REC...the power pack has to be swapped out and recharged elsewhere.)  Fine;  the character's power allows him to Aid...or maybe Heal, that might be better, come to think, as then there's no fade issues...applied to that END Reserve.  The blaster rifle never draws from the user's END.

EDIT:  one could make an argument for Variable SFX on the Aid/Heal.  I could go either way there.  With Aid, it'd probably be good to put Constant on it too.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

REC doesn't fit as well.  REC on an END Reserve is once per turn.  You want that gun up and usable faster...and longer, for that matter.  

I believe you can pay more to get a faster recovery

1 hour ago, HeroGM said:

I believe you can pay more to get a faster recovery

At the GM's option, recovery can be spread over the turn.  I don't recall any rule for making the recovery faster than "per turn", although I suppose you could adapt the APG rules for faster regeneration.

I'd rather not use Regen as a basis for anything else.  Its costing structure is terrible.  The time chart also bombs here, IMO.  Extra Phase --> 1 Turn is an additional -1/2...but the converse, going from 1 Turn --> Extra Phase, would be MUCH more valuable.  Even at SPD 4, this would double the recovery rate.

There is a Slow Recovery limitation, but on 6E1 206, I don't see a Fast Recovery option...largely, I suspect, for the reason I mention.  

• 6 months later...

I realized that my examples were probably confusing, so lemme try again.

Spell #1 (Conduct Power): A technomancer has a spell that allows them to serve as a power conduit between an active power source (which, thanks to TUV, I'm defining as an END Reserve) and a device in need of power. The spell has two “subjects”, the END Reserve and the device that uses END.

At the moment I've got three possible solutions for this:

1. Aid the device's END Reserve
  2. Usable Simultaneously on the END Reserve so the device can use it
  3. 6e Transfer (Drain and linked Aid) from the END Reserve to the device

#1 covers fueling the device but doesn't affect the power supply. That could matter if you were "supposed to be" tapping an opponent's END Reserve, like their Power Armor. If I can tap Tony Stark's arc reactor to fuel my blaster, he might not be able to use his PA at full capacity or something.

#2 seems like the most efficient way to do it, though it might be better as Usable As Attack. I'm not sure. But it lets a thing use the END Reserve, and that's what I want.

#3 "technically" does what I say the power does, but in the costliest and most complicated way. Thanks, I hate it. But it, for a given value, works.

Comparatively, I think Spell #2 (Lend Power): the character can act as the power source itself, not needing to be a conduit.

is just adding a Power Source SFX to the caster's END Reserve, in addition to the Magic SFX. And it flows from the same thought process as option #2 above.

Any thoughts?

For the character acting as the power source, the 0 END Cost Naked Advantage should work.  If you want the END to come from the character, give it Costs END in the amount of 1 END per END the device costs.  

If you want the character to be the conduit, then the 0 END Cost Naked Advantage, with a Limitation that the character has to be connected to a power source to act as the conduit.  

I think this is an area where you could use Change Environment as well, convert a 1 body damage effect into "charges items" effect, in the theory that electrical charge could theoretically cause damage.

I think that CE should have a new "elemental effect" option where you can do things like light a fire with it.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think that CE should have a new "elemental effect" option where you can do things like light a fire with it.

I dont know if that qualifies as new: setting things on fire is decidely changing the environment,  :lol:

but I do agree it should be spelled out better; it isnt like a couple thousand words weren't added to every other subject.  ;)

for what it's worth, I have been using it that way for decades.  Of course, I have also been using to increase the illumination in a given area, too.

(Ducks quickly)

Of course, I have also been using to increase the illumination in a given area, too.

Me too.  The rules say to use images but change environment just makes more sense.  The problem is that CE is specifically supposed to be only used for negative effects, but in my opinion that's unnecessarily and foolishly weakening a useful power.

when did the rules start saying, CE was for negative effects only?

Fifth edition, I think, let me check.

4th edition introduced Change Environment and it simply says that it shouldn't duplicate existing powers and at best should have a minor effect on combat.

5th edition repeats that statement, then states that "Change Environment cannot provide 'positive' effects or bonuses to any character (other than the beneficial result of hindering his enemies)" and only lists penalties as possible choices of effects.

6th reiterates this and expands on possible effects.

Yet, of course, all versions allow someone to create an area which benefits a character with certain susceptibilities (like a cool weather area where Someone takes damage from warm temperatures), so it always been possible to make a beneficial or positive CE, just not one that adds to stats, rolls, or CV.

Thanks, Christopher.

Technically, any change is disadvantageous to _someone_, even if that person isn't here.  ;)

I think I am going to continue to allow Jetstream to use his wind control powers in such a way that is advantageous to the team's glider.

This is such a normal comic book thing that making the rules declare it illegal was a laughably bad decision.  I mean, the fastball special is based off of symbiosis between power sets, is it not?